U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2012, 12:11 AM

8 posts, read 20,197 times

Advertisements

Here in the year 2012, it seems like certain cities are being flooded with transplants and others are not being so flooded. In some cities it seems like lots of people are from there and in other cities it seems like hardly anyone you meet is from there. Below is a list of cities that seem to be flooded with transplants to me.

Lots of transplants :

Washington, D.C.
New York
Los Angeles
Miami
Chicago
Boston
San Francisco
Seattle
Denver
Atlanta
Dallas
Minneapolis
Tampa
Orlando
Las Vegas
Scottsdale
Austin
Raleigh
Charlotte

Not as many transplants :

Pittsburgh
Philadelphia
Baltimore
Milwaukee
Portland, Oregon
Nashville
Memphis
Jacksonville
San Antonio
Cincinnati
Providence
San Diego
Charleston
Savannah
Annapolis
St. Louis
Kansas City
New Orleans
Buffalo

Bottom Line - So basically you have the more popular cities like Boston, San Francisco, Denver and Seattle which are being swarmed and flooded by transplants and then you have less popular cities like Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Portland-Oregon, and Kansas City which are not being quite as swarmed and flooded by transplants. Some people like living in a city that is constantly getting flooded with loads of transplants and living in a city where most of the people that you meet are not from there. Then you have lots of people who would prefer to live in a city that is not as popular and not being as flooded with transplants and constantly meeting people who are actually from that city. So I guess it's a matter of personal preference. I will say that the heavy transplant cities are good because it means that those cities probably have a better economy with more high paying jobs. The flip side of that coin is that a city with a much stronger economy also tends to have a higher cost of living.

Pittsburgh seems to be a great city to me because it seems to have a lot of great old established neighborhoods with lots of character with mostly people who are actually from there which I think is kind of cool and something that is sadly disappearing in American cities which is something that I guess is just a natural yet sad part of modern life. Cities are constantly changing which on one hand may be good but on another hand I think it's sad because many cities are losing some of the character that they used to have. Oh well I guess. So as much as I love the super popular big transplant cities, my heart kind of prefers the cities that have not been already overrun by transplants. Just my honest feelings. A city that is not as popular and a city that tends to be underrated and a city that tends to fly under the radar does not seem like such a bad idea to me even though it's easy to choose the most popular cities like San Francisco.

Last edited by AnthonyBourdainFan; 05-08-2012 at 12:29 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 02:01 PM

4,366 posts, read 6,556,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyBourdainFan View Post
Here in the year 2012, it seems like certain cities are being flooded with transplants and others are not being so flooded. In some cities it seems like lots of people are from there and in other cities it seems like hardly anyone you meet is from there. Below is a list of cities that seem to be flooded with transplants to me.

Lots of transplants :

Washington, D.C.
New York
Los Angeles
Miami
Chicago
Boston
San Francisco
Seattle
Denver
Atlanta
Dallas
Minneapolis
Tampa
Orlando
Las Vegas
Scottsdale
Austin
Raleigh
Charlotte

Pittsburgh
Philadelphia
Baltimore
Milwaukee
Portland, Oregon
Nashville
Memphis
Jacksonville
San Antonio
Cincinnati
Providence
San Diego
Charleston
Savannah
Annapolis
St. Louis
Kansas City
New Orleans
Buffalo

Bottom Line - So basically you have the more popular cities like Boston, San Francisco, Denver and Seattle which are being swarmed and flooded by transplants and then you have less popular cities like Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Portland-Oregon, and Kansas City which are not being quite as swarmed and flooded by transplants. Some people like living in a city that is constantly getting flooded with loads of transplants and living in a city where most of the people that you meet are not from there. Then you have lots of people who would prefer to live in a city that is not as popular and not being as flooded with transplants and constantly meeting people who are actually from that city. So I guess it's a matter of personal preference. I will say that the heavy transplant cities are good because it means that those cities probably have a better economy with more high paying jobs. The flip side of that coin is that a city with a much stronger economy also tends to have a higher cost of living.

Pittsburgh seems to be a great city to me because it seems to have a lot of great old established neighborhoods with lots of character with mostly people who are actually from there which I think is kind of cool and something that is sadly disappearing in American cities which is something that I guess is just a natural yet sad part of modern life. Cities are constantly changing which on one hand may be good but on another hand I think it's sad because many cities are losing some of the character that they used to have. Oh well I guess. So as much as I love the super popular big transplant cities, my heart kind of prefers the cities that have not been already overrun by transplants. Just my honest feelings. A city that is not as popular and a city that tends to be underrated and a city that tends to fly under the radar does not seem like such a bad idea to me even though it's easy to choose the most popular cities like San Francisco.
As they said in a previous presidential election "It's the economy, stupid!"
For better or worse we are a mobile society here in the U.S. and we'll go where the jobs are. Low-growth cities have fewer transplants and more people leaving because there's no way (or fewer ways) to make a living there.

Personally I welcome newcomers to my city and I think people should do that everywhere. Newcomers means change, and the city that doesn't change dies. It may become bigger or more expensive or ethnically different. But there is no staying the same. In today's world, urban stagnation = urban decline.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:12 PM

5,805 posts, read 8,702,496 times
Pittsburgh is now seeing significant in-migration from East Coast Cities of New York, Philadelphia and Washington DC, and a smaller in-migration with Chicago as well.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:49 PM

13,321 posts, read 18,433,878 times
Quote:

Philadelphia
Portland, Oregon
San Diego
These cities belong on the "more transplants" list.

Quote:
I will say that the heavy transplant cities are good because it means that those cities probably have a better economy with more high paying jobs.
Not necessarily. Jobs in Pittsburgh pay better than jobs in California's "Inland Empire," and that's just one example.

Quote:
Pittsburgh seems to be a great city to me because it seems to have a lot of great old established neighborhoods with lots of character with mostly people who are actually from there which I think is kind of cool and something that is sadly disappearing in American cities which is something that I guess is just a natural yet sad part of modern life.
If trends observed in the last five years hold, then even that'll change somewhat. The key is you want a moderate level of migration. Too little makes a city stagnate, but too much makes a city sell out.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:53 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,459,291 times
how can dc be full of transplants yet baltimore not be? maybe they dont live in the city of baltimore. but i think their are close enough suburbs that you have to put b-more in with dc.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:39 PM

140 posts, read 158,335 times
New Orleans has a TON of transplants. The first question people generally ask upon meeting is "where are you from?" Very, very few people I've met are from New Orleans, or even Louisiana for that matter.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:48 PM

794 posts, read 1,039,600 times
San Diego has A LOT of transplants... Especially since one of the largest naval bases is here. I don't know why you put them on your list of not so any transplants.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:07 PM

797 posts, read 1,189,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownSouth88 View Post
New Orleans has a TON of transplants. The first question people generally ask upon meeting is "where are you from?" Very, very few people I've met are from New Orleans, or even Louisiana for that matter.
You need to go to some different neighborhoods or meet some Black people and I assure you that you will meet some natives. But I do agree that New Orleans is getting a lot of transplants. Certain neighborhoods are just filled to the brim with transplants.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:24 PM

140 posts, read 158,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
You need to go to some different neighborhoods or meet some Black people and I assure you that you will meet some natives. But I do agree that New Orleans is getting a lot of transplants. Certain neighborhoods are just filled to the brim with transplants.
Yes, most of the black residents of New Orleans are born and raised here. You could say that about the black and/or lower socioeconomic sections of most major cities. Driving around town though, one out of every ten cars has an out of state plate on it and it seems that most people you meet out at the bars has "just moved to town."

Old 05-08-2012, 09:37 PM

272 posts, read 277,401 times
I would have put Nashville in the "lots of transplants" category. There are so many in my specific area that it has become the norm not to hear a Southern Accent. I, as well as many people in my neighborhood, are from the Midwest and California.

Source: I live there and I am a transplant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or