Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 02:58 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,279 times

Advertisements

Of course, if you are looking to be around other gay African American professionals to socialize with then DC and Atlanta are definitely the right choices.

Houston and Miami have large African American populations, but I don't know how professional the crowd is. Also note that most of the people of African descent in Miami are immigrants or descended from recent immigrants from the Caribbean. There might be large cultural differences that you would run into there.

Boston is one of the whitest cities in America. And from what I read all of the college educated black people in Boston are moving to Atlanta and DC. lol. I also hear the gay scene sucks there, which is ironic given how liberal the city is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 02:34 PM

27 posts, read 91,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I'm black gay male and familiar with Atlanta and DC. I'm not that familiar with Philly but my experience with Philly was a fairly laidback chill city.

I really like the DC area. I think you'd find an easier transition here with Philadelphia just being a few hours away. The cost of living will kill you. One really can't expect much of anything for $1000 in the DC area. However, I really like living near such a smart happening city. So yeah come on down.

Although don't live in the outer suburbs. Finding one's next ex-husband ain't easy in Ashburn or Gaithersburg believe you me. I say that as someone who lives and works in the suburbs but is contemplating a move to the closer-in.
DC looks like it'll be my choice. I love Atlanta but I'm not too sure I wanna move that far south as of yet. Thanks for the help. Yeah Philly is a chill type big city which is one of its pluses. But its time for a change. And yes I've been told to keep my search for a place within the beltway limits. More than likely I'll be in VA or MD & not DC itself, rents just seem cheaper outside of DC. The District has gotten enough of my money with all those traffic/red light cameras around town but that's another story

Old 05-25-2012, 03:13 PM

686 posts, read 1,167,470 times
DC is a Good choice for your scene. But you really can't go wrong with any of the listed cities. If you want to party 7 days a week with teh gayz.... then I'd suggest Atlanta. No other city comes close to their black gay scene.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:12 AM

1 posts, read 4,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyLA View Post
What's the best cities for a black gay man to live? I'm 26 looking for a big city atmosphere since I'm originally from Philadelphia. I'm in the medical field (RN) so excellent medical facilities are a must. Rent wise I can pay $1000-$1400 at the most. I'm trying to relocate by September

Presently I'm in South Jersey but need a change of scenery. I'm over the Phila/S.Jersey Area.

I've narrowed my choices down to:

Washington DC
Atlanta
Boston
Miami
Chicago
Houston

Thanks for posting this question. I'd like to get married someday and the last thing I'd want to do is move to a city that's riddled with gay men. The scary thing is that 2 of the cities on your list were on mine so now I know that I need to cross them off! *Whew!*

Old 12-03-2012, 10:45 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cay James View Post
Thanks for posting this question. I'd like to get married someday and the last thing I'd want to do is move to a city that's riddled with gay men.
Why is that?

Old 01-29-2013, 05:00 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synegal View Post
I am from the south and people are ignorant(everywhere) but the majority are here.
Speak for yourself and nobody else.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:08 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,940,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyLA View Post
What's the best cities for a black gay man to live? I'm 26 looking for a big city atmosphere since I'm originally from Philadelphia. I'm in the medical field (RN) so excellent medical facilities are a must. Rent wise I can pay $1000-$1400 at the most. I'm trying to relocate by September

Presently I'm in South Jersey but need a change of scenery. I'm over the Phila/S.Jersey Area.

I've narrowed my choices down to:

Washington DC
Atlanta
Boston
Miami
Chicago
Houston
From your list, in my opinion ATl and DC would be a strong one and two.
I would rank Houston and Chicago three and four.

Miami would come five on my list, and Boston would be too low to be ranked. I would rank dallad, a.handfull of citues in nirth carolina, and new york, baltimore and philly before boston.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:11 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
From your list, in my opinion ATl and DC would be a strong one and two.
I would rank Houston and Chicago three and four.

Miami would come five on my list, and Boston would be too low to be ranked. I would rank dallad, a.handfull of citues in nirth carolina, and new york, baltimore and philly before boston.
Boston, you mean the only city that he has the option to marry is "too low to be ranked", but Houston TEXAS is ranked 3?

Old 01-30-2013, 04:21 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,940,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Boston, you mean the only city that he has the option to marry is "too low to be ranked", but Houston TEXAS is ranked 3?
For a black guy... Yes.
To get married he would first have to find a partner. Boston is very prejudiced. Glance at online profiles and see the plethora of white and latin only you see, or the number of "i am not attracted to black people" you see.

Boston is nice, but its tougher for a black guy than the other cities on the list.

Its the same thing here in Texas. People assume Austin is the best for gay people of all races, while most blacks would tell you go for Houston or Dallas.

Say what you want about Texas, we have very large and thriving gay populations

Old 01-30-2013, 04:24 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
For a black guy... Yes.
To get married he would first have to find a partner. Boston is very prejudiced. Glance at online profiles and see the plethora of white and latin only you see, or the number of "i am not attracted to black people" you see.

Boston is nice, but its tougher for a black guy than the other cities on the list.

Its the same thing here in Texas. People assume Austin is the best for gay people of all races, while most blacks would tell you go for Houston or Dallas
Its not 1960 anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.