U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2012, 07:00 PM

159 posts, read 461,723 times

Advertisements

I noticed sometimes when there's a middle aged Asian anchorperson or person in general on the news somewhere in the US who speaks with a standard American accent, and it's posted on YouTube, some people will point out "wtf... why does that Asian guy sound totally white?" or something along those lines. I figure these people questioning this might not live in an area with a long established Asian community.

I'm half Chinese American myself and I live in NorCal but in a more countryside area. It's still, however, fairly rare for me to meet an older Asian person who is born in the States and has the general American accent. My high school principal was third-generation Chinese born in SF, and I had a Japanese-American instructor before, and a Japanese-American vice principal in elementary school. It seemed like most people didn't think much of it, but quite a few people I know were like "wow... why don't they talk like regular Asian people?" lol... However, when I go to places like SF, or the South Bay, it seems slightly common to bump into an Asian person in their 50s and 60s and speak English with a totally Northern California/West coast accent, and happen to be raised in the U.S.

My friend got stopped by a cop in Southern CA last year by an Asian American cop in his 40s (I believe he was of Filipino descent) and he said he was totally shocked to hear his voice when the cop first spoke to him.

So this got me wondering... where you live, how often is it that you encounter an older Asian American (say 40+ years old) who's born or at least raised in the U.S., and has a totally "Americanized" accent? Are there large communities of people like this anywhere in the US, aside from San Francisco or NYC?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 08:40 PM

6,472 posts, read 15,639,860 times
I know some second-generation Chinese here in the Twin Cities who speak with the typical (not exaggerated "Fargo") MN accent. They even say Yahh! I know a guy who was born and raised in Chinatown on the South Side of Chicago and he has a classic Chicago accent.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:44 PM

10,955 posts, read 15,664,513 times
Well, granted I live in California, where there's a very large multi-generational Asian American community, but... I don't understand why people would be shocked by this. I mean, think about it:

- couple emigrate from Japan, have children
- children grow up speaking Japanese at home and English at school
- children pick up some nuances of their parents' speech, but plenty more from the kids around them
- children end up having a mostly-local accent with maybe a slight Japanese lilt with certain sayings, or in certain moods, etc
- children grow up, have their own children, to whom they infrequently, if ever, speak Japanese. They hear local accents at home, and local accents at school.
- third generation of kids speak little if any Japanese, and speak like the second-generation American they are.

I have a friend whose dad is Japanese-American, and mom is Chinese-American. She's third-generation American on both sides. She doesn't speak Chinese or Japanese, and admitted that when she was in grade school and they would learn about Asia, she was just as clueless as most of the non-Asian kids in her class about the customs and culture. She'd go home and ask her parents about stuff she'd learn, and they'd go, "oh yeah, my grandma would do that... huh. Funny."

This is how it is with me: my grandma didn't really pass on ANY of her cultural roots to us, at least not overtly, save for a few stories here or there, most of which were adapted to take place in the mountains of Oregon or the plains in Oklahoma. Accents? Nope...

Old 05-23-2012, 02:50 PM

3,237 posts, read 3,731,681 times
The Asian population in America was less than 1% 40 years ago, almost all the Asians who live here now came since that time or are their kids or grandkids. The only old Asian person I can think of who speaks unaccented is the actor George Takei and I live in a heavily Asian area. A lot of old Asians who actually are from here almost certainly lived in an Asian ghetto or heavily Asian area like Hawaii, there weren't a ton of upper and middle class Asians in America like now, most were laborers. It's like how most black people are more than 2 generations American but have a black accent because most black people live in black areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.