Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 09:14 PM

Location: Simi Valley, California - which was once part of the USA
350 posts, read 536,930 times

Advertisements

Here is how I define a hipster

Someone 16-35 who:

Goes to concerts especially for non big acts (non hipsters will go see a famous artist on tour at a stadium, hipsters like small independent music)
Makes artsy stuff or works in a creative profession
Does tweeting, instant-gram etc.
Wears used clothing for a reason other than not having enough money to buy new clothes
Dresses in a way that's odd as opposed to suit and tie/jeans and a tee shirt
Has unconventional hair (boys with long hair, girls with short hair. Dying your hair unnatural colors)
Does microbrews
Grocery shops at whole foods/trader joe and only Rays jm
Rides a bike outside of excersize (using bikes to get around is for kids who don't have their license)

These aren't nearly all attributes of a hipster but just a short description

Here are visual examples of hipsters:

What city (over 50k) has the least of these people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 09:21 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,087,058 times
Those are "hipsters"? Not where I'm from. That looks like typical mainstream suburban teenager fashion. Every middle-class white kid in America looks like that.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:27 PM

That's what a hipster looks like to me.

A non hipster wears polo shirts, jeans, Abercrombie and Fitch, old navy, Nike tennis shoes

There are non-hipster normal young people:

EDIT: you live in Minneapolis? That's why you think hipsters look normal that city is like Portland in the midwest from what I hear

Old 04-04-2015, 10:00 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,807,887 times
I think the point is that the people who would be considered hipsters here don't look like that. Your examples are normal people. Hipsters are weirdos. Pretentious on one hand, but probably can't help it either.

These are hipsters:

Old 04-04-2015, 10:08 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,262,858 times
seems like you want an "uptight" and "ultra-conservative" city
You might want to try Salt Lake City

Old 04-04-2015, 10:14 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,803,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
seems like you want an "uptight" and "ultra-conservative" city
You might want to try Salt Lake City
OKC is as conservative and uptight as it's possible to get in the western world and there are even hipsters here. Salt Lake City certainly has them. The OP would be better off looking at rural areas or small towns geared towards retirees if they want to avoid hipsters entirely.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:19 PM

2,722 posts, read 6,107,611 times
Can't belive we're still using the term 'hipster' in 2015. Or are we using it ironically?

With that said, Boston is relatively hipster free.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
With that said, Boston is relatively hipster free.
Irony. I see what you did there.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:43 PM

I guess I am uptight and I definitely am conservative. I am not into arty or cultural stuff and I just want to avoid that kind of thing I guess. It's wierd to me. I like normal buttoned up people who aren't "artists" or have crazy hair that makes them look like a demon.:

I'm the type that wears collared polo shirts(sometimes in different colors if I wanna look "different"), jeans and chino pants all the time and makes sure I look clean and my hair is combed. I would rather somewhere with a lot of "bros" because at least they look normal and I can get along with them. I'm not into intellectual types. I like salt of the earth type people.

I am looking to leave the place I grew up, the LA metro - shouldn't you look for a city that shares your culture? Why move somewhere where you're already turned off by the people your age (I'm gonna be 22).

I would love to move to a small town but there are no jobs.

Those people are what you think of hipsters? I just call those people junkies..

I don't need to be in a metropolis. Maybe a city of 40-50k? I was thinking Knoxville but apparently it has hipsters too. Maybe Greenville, SC? NW AR?

Mid sized cities in red states with no hipsters or wierdoes

Old 04-04-2015, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSanDimas View Post
EDIT: you live in Minneapolis? That's why you think hipsters look normal
This piece by the New York Times is is pretty representative of what young people dress like in the Twin Cities. Some people look very mainstream (the Asian girl), others don't.

Modern Style in Minneapolis - Video - NYTimes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.