U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-20-2007, 02:51 PM

28 posts, read 108,313 times

Advertisements

I am presently living in The Caribbean and am planning to move to either Atlanta or Houston in a year or two. I will be going to study and will have to find a job at the same time. For starting over at 45 with no kids which is the better city Houston or Atlanta?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 02:56 PM

1,505 posts, read 3,609,117 times
Well IMO, coming from the Caribbean, I'd choose Houston, because its closer to the water than Atlanta. But I've never been to Texas, so I'm not sure. Personally, I lived in Atlanta coming from Miami, and I found myself missing beaches very much.. and dont ever want to go live there again.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:57 PM

2,133 posts, read 4,059,714 times
There is a large Carribean community in both cities. I guess it all depends on where you get the best job opportunity.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:14 PM

3,030 posts, read 5,764,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonofillfaith View Post
Well IMO, coming from the Caribbean, I'd choose Houston, because its closer to the water than Atlanta.
Galveston is on the water and it's considered Houston's beach. Luckily it's close to Houston. Flying home is much easier because Houston is closer to the Caribbean (depending on the location in the Caribbean) and cruise ships depart from Galveston and go around the Caribbean.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:20 PM

3,073 posts, read 8,502,737 times
...plus the weather is similar because Houston sits in a tropical rainforest.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:22 AM

28 posts, read 108,313 times
Thank you to everyone who responded. I really appreciated it. Although the beach is nice etc ( we do take it for granted in the Caribbean) I was mainly concerned about employment, whilst being able to go to University at the same time, and cheap rent along with good public transportation and the WEATHER. I didn't want to deal with the snow. I have to make alot of financial sacrifices so any ideas will be appreciated. Once again thanks to everyone who responded.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:19 AM

2,133 posts, read 4,059,714 times
Atlanta is still fairly affordable and there are a lot of universities located here, which is a reason why this city has a large young and energetic population. The scenery here is great also, and I think that you'll like the very noticeable Carribean community here. Last but not least, Atlanta probably has one of the strongest local economies in the country and has been known to still thrive during economic downturns due to its diverse economy.

Houston has a very affordable cost of living as well and also has a large number of good universities. It is also a very diverse and international metropolitan area. In fact, it may be the most diverse metro outside of NYC, Chicago, and LA. Although it has one of the stronger local economies in the US, Houston may be slightly more prone to economic busts than Atlanta, but the economy there is booming nonetheless and has grown stronger since the oil bust of the 1980's.

Atlanta has better public transport hands down. MARTA operates two heavy-rail lines and an extensive bus system while METRO in Houston has been playing catch-up over the past few years.

In regards to weather, if you hate snow, then Houston may win the tie-breaker. Although Atlanta has a very mild climate with snow being a rarity, we get one decent snow every few years. On the other hand, Houston probably gets snow once every 20 years. Also, Houston winters are warmer than Atlanta winters given their more southern location near the Gulf coast.

You need to visit both cities to decide for yourself. I guarantee you that you won't go wrong with either. Good luck!

Old 10-03-2007, 10:34 AM

3,073 posts, read 8,502,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
In fact, it may be the most diverse metro outside of NYC, Chicago, and LA.
Actually, it is the most diverse outside of NYC and LA. Chicago comes after Houston.

Quote:
Although it has one of the stronger local economies in the US, Houston may be slightly more prone to economic busts than Atlanta
Not really.

Quote:
In regards to weather, if you hate snow, then Houston may win the tie-breaker. Although Atlanta has a very mild climate with snow being a rarity, we get one decent snow every few years. On the other hand, Houston probably gets snow once every 20 years. Also, Houston winters are warmer than Atlanta winters given their more southern location near the Gulf coast.
Well, while snow in Houston is rare, it's not at all nonexistent. It happens enough that I look forward to some snow every year. In fact, I would imagine that both Atlanta and Houston have similar rates of snowfall.

In my opinion, you can't really go wrong with either city. I honestly feel that Houston offers more, but it also lacks in many things that Atlanta has in abundance. Atlanta is generally considered a very very attractive town with more enjoyable architecture (which I will not argue), better public transportation, and a better name.

By the way, if it's an option, you might also want to consider Dallas. It's the fashion capital of the South and our second most cosmopolitan city (probably tied with Miami).

Old 10-03-2007, 01:26 PM

82 posts, read 9,417 times
Public transportation in Houston is complete garbage. Also, there's no city core, just a ton of ugly urban sprawl which makes you feel like you're in a suburb. I would never recommend Houston to anyone.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:45 PM

3,030 posts, read 5,764,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBeavs View Post
Public transportation in Houston is complete garbage. Also, there's no city core, just a ton of ugly urban sprawl which makes you feel like you're in a suburb. I would never recommend Houston to anyone.
Atlanta is the spawliest city in the South, probably the most sprawliest in the United States with the population density. Thanks to the sprawl most of the offices are not in downtown but along the IH-285 Beltway.

Transportation in Atlanta is a joke. The freeways are congested and narrow in the suburbs but get wider within the Beltway. Affordable housing is in the outer fringes in the metro, which means driving 80 km or more most of which is on narrow rural interstates. The train only stays within the beltway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.