Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 10:11 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon1114 View Post
I am single, 21; have lived in NYC and Boston. I love Boston and will miss my friends here, but I want a new start very soon, and I want to explore the West.

My new city should be big enough to be quirky and diverse.
I hope to meet friendly and creative young people who enjoy adventure.
I'd like to get around by foot and bike mostly, and maybe mass transit too.
Throughout the year, I hope to spend time outside biking, hiking, chilling.

**Do you recommend Denver?**

[Others that I'm considering: Portland, Seattle, San Francisco, Santa Fe, Tuscon. If you have lived in others too, please compare. Feel free to suggest more.]
I appreciate your advice!
Hi, Jon1114! I think Denver would fit your needs just fine, but of all the cities you mentioned, I would recommend Tucson! Especially if you are a very laid back kind of person and want something totally different from NYC or Boston. Of all the hot desert cities in the US, Tucson probably has the most livable climate. It's much, much more comfortable than Phoenix, the mammoth sized slab of concrete two hours north. Tucson has a very "earthy" feel; unlike Phoenix, and unlike Denver, there is very little irrigation and wasting water, so there is a ton of desert landscaping everywhere. It feels like what a real desert city should be-- in tune with its natural environment. Beautiful mountains surrounding Tucson, such as the Catalina Mtns, which as you increase elevation it gets cooler with more pine trees, with the top of the mountain frequently getting snow in the winter. There are next to no "urban" attractions and night life in Tucson, but for a nature and outdoors lover, it's a great place. They have a great system of bike routes and many bike-only streets that are completely closed to vehicles. Unlike Santa Fe, Tucson is not a tourist trap by any means whatsoever. It is the real southwest, not a pretentious spectacle. That means a lot of Mexicans living there-- you're only one hour from the border. There's also plenty of young people there, given that it's home of the University of Arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 06:05 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,080,139 times
Muhnay warned:

> ... Seattle or even Portland ... Biking maybe a tad difficult as they have lots of hills.

Those are good for you. I ride *up* the hill most evenings from San Mateo
to Tramway (about six or so miles and over 700 ft up). It's good for *me*.

John1114 started the thread:

> I am single, 21 ... hope to spend time outside biking, hiking ....

Why don't you visit **each** of the places you are considering - including some small
towns that are in between? In each place, find out a popular hiking trail and hike it.

finally, yukon wondered:

> Denver! I was amazed at how the drivers respected bikers and
> pedestrians ... don't know how bikers & pedestrians fare in ABQ yet ...

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:55 AM

11 posts, read 36,501 times
Seattle does not have the transit system Portland, Denver and San Fran have--and cost of living is quite high here, however, it is similar to San Fran in that it is completely urban and cosmopolitan--you'll often feel like it's Europe--and you cannot beat the quirkiness of Seattle.

Denver is much more conservative and racially homogeneous than any of the other cities you listed--but it's a great city too. Basically, you listed some of the greatest cities in the States. Take some time and visit them all--stay in a quirky youth hostel, take the train out here, bring your bike, whatever.

the only caveat is how you like the weather in each city--they are extremely different.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:17 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times
Yeah, I think Seattle might do, but my first impression, based on what you are asking for, is that Portland would be a better fit.

Ken

Old 09-21-2007, 11:29 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Default Where to Move?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon1114 View Post
I'd like to get around by foot and bike mostly, and maybe mass transit too.
One out of three - biking.

Quote:
**Do you recommend Tucson?**
NO

Quote:
[Others that I'm considering: Portland, Seattle, Santa Fe, Albequerque, Denver. If you have lived in others too, please compare. Feel free to suggest more.]
I appreciate your advice!
If I were you, I'd go with Portland or Denver out of this bunch.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:20 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
One out of three - biking.

NO

If I were you, I'd go with Portland or Denver out of this bunch.
LOL @ SierraAZ

VERY FUNNY and I agree 100%!

Tucson definitely does not qualify as a "no vehicle" city unless one lives and works in a very limited area . . . NOT for an adventurer!

Sorry, Jon . . . I am no help other than maybe San Francisco. ! ! ! !

Old 09-21-2007, 01:24 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
LOL @ SierraAZ

VERY FUNNY and I agree 100%!

Tucson definitely does not qualify as a "no vehicle" city unless one lives and works in a very limited area . . . NOT for an adventurer!

Sorry, Jon . . . I am no help other than maybe San Francisco. ! ! ! !
Well, Bummer, I always feel responsibility towards future unassuming victims and usually chime in at least a little bit, fully expecting the hatred of many fellow residents. I look at it as "paying forward"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.