Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the most quintessentially American state?
California 5 8.77%
Florida 3 5.26%
Illinois 12 21.05%
Maryland 7 12.28%
Massachusetts 5 8.77%
Missouri 16 28.07%
New York 6 10.53%
Ohio 25 43.86%
Pennsylvania 14 24.56%
Texas 6 10.53%
Other (Be sure to post your choice.) 3 5.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 03:36 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times

Advertisements

I could be wrong, but as far as demographics are concerned, I always thought Pennsylvania or Illinois were similar to the U.S. as a whole...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 03:51 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
O H I O

Hate the buckeys tho

Old 05-21-2012, 04:17 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
It would be easier to say which states AREN'T quintessentially American.

I would say, Hawaii, Alaska, Oregon, Washington, Minnesota, Vermont, and southern Florida feel like 'outliers' and don't really exude a very strong vibe of Americana.
I agree with this one, especially since this isn't a state -- an immediate outlier!

Old 05-21-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
O H I O

Hate the buckeys tho
Did you go to the U of Michigan or something? "OH.....IO"! (can't stand that cheer....even though it's my [college] team!)

Old 05-21-2012, 04:19 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Did you go to the U of Michigan or something? "OH.....IO"! (can't stand that cheer....even though it's my [college] team!)

Nope PSU; but have always hated OSU even prior to joining the big ten

nothing against the state tho

Old 05-21-2012, 06:17 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Most of the Midwestern states, really. Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Nebraska, Iowa.etc. They seem the most regional in all regards.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:22 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
I was going to say Ohio because their plate says "the heart of it all," or something like that.

I'm going to say Illinois. Its "test tube" shape has some different things going on. The north is flat and feels Midwestern. The south touches Appalachia and the terrain rolls. In the north, people speak with a Chicaaago accent. In the south, they speak with a twang. In the north, Catholics dominate. In the south, there are more Protestants. It has towns where you'd think the people are inbred and it has Chicago. I am more comfortable saying that Chicago is a more prototypical American big city than I am about New York or Los Angeles. Chicago may be multi-ethnic and have an enormous, busy airport, but it speaks to Americana more than do Los Angeles or New York, which have more of an "eff you, I'll do what I want" streak. Then, Chicago is a railroad hub and also a Great Lakes port. So, in the end, I think Illinois accommodates all aspects of Americana, whereas Los Angeles, New York and even Houston are too distinct in representing their regional quirks, and states, to "qualify" CA, NY and TX, respectively.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 05-21-2012 at 08:34 PM..

Old 05-21-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Nope PSU; but have always hated OSU even prior to joining the big ten

nothing against the state tho
Hahaha, fair enough! I was just in State College for a seminar and the town was surprisingly fun for such a small city! I really loved Zeno's beer selection and atmosphere!!

Old 05-22-2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Most of the Midwestern states, really. Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Nebraska, Iowa.etc. They seem the most regional in all regards.
Sorry I meant 'least' regional.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I was going to say Ohio because their plate says "the heart of it all," or something like that.

I'm going to say Illinois. Its "test tube" shape has some different things going on. The north is flat and feels Midwestern. The south touches Appalachia and the terrain rolls. In the north, people speak with a Chicaaago accent. In the south, they speak with a twang. In the north, Catholics dominate. In the south, there are more Protestants. It has towns where you'd think the people are inbred and it has Chicago. I am more comfortable saying that Chicago is a more prototypical American big city than I am about New York or Los Angeles. Chicago may be multi-ethnic and have an enormous, busy airport, but it speaks to Americana more than do Los Angeles or New York, which have more of an "eff you, I'll do what I want" streak. Then, Chicago is a railroad hub and also a Great Lakes port. So, in the end, I think Illinois accommodates all aspects of Americana, whereas Los Angeles, New York and even Houston are too distinct in representing their regional quirks, and states, to "qualify" CA, NY and TX, respectively.
Yes I always saw Chicago as the most American of the big cities, for sure. Although a large city by world standards with a MSA population of 9.5 million or so, it still has a small-town, Midwestern attitude. People in LA and NY are more worldly, at least Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.