Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2017, 02:19 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,397,539 times

Advertisements

If you're from LA or San Diego and have claimed Yosmite.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2017, 07:51 PM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Hmm I haven't had the pleasure of visiting Amarillo, but I'd be more surprised if its more conservative than Cisco, which is a small town of about 4,000. I can handle Cisco conservatism, just less of the rebel flag waving crap that you occasionally see, but that's any small town in the South.

If I can find a small town where people go hunting, fishing, where lots of people go to church but keep it personal, where most people decorate for the holidays, where there's a small but thriving local arts community and where most people are LGBT friendly, I'd start saving for a house there right this minute!
Smaller towns in general are more conservative but there are always exceptions. Midland (population 120,000) is likely more conservative than Cisco. But you may want to look at Marfa which is arguably even more liberal than Austin even though its population is less than 2,000.

The small towns you've described will more likely be found along the Pacific coast or various small hippy towns in the Pacific Northwest. Even most small towns in the middle of California (where agriculture rules) have a atmosphere similar to Cisco.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:16 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Is that why our friend's grandfather let me and my boyfriend at the time, live together in his mother's house (who was in a nursing home) for 2 and a half months without even having to pay rent? I'm talking about old fashioned small town Christians. Their mindset is "it ain't my place to judge."

What tolerance do you think I'm looking for? I've never expected people to join me at a pride parade or anything like that, but to simply respect gay people as human beings even if they don't necessarily see eye to eye on every topic. That's all I ever ask for, and that's what I've found from the majority of people everywhere I've lived in, in Texas. Of course I can't speak for South Texas, never been there, but I speak from my experiences living in West and North Texas in the 20th century. What people say or don't say behind closed doors is none of my business, as long as they're respectful in public. What they do in their bedroom ain't my business
Not even sure what your problem is, but I hope you cheer up.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
I love how people try to bring race into the conversation to disqualify what it means to be truly "liberal" or "conservative." Like most things, it's very complex. There are many white Democrats in the Northeast & Upper Midwest who are actually very socially conservative. They tend to vote Democrat solely for economic reasons or because their family members have voted that way for generations. The same is true for Republicans who may actually be socially liberal, but vote solely for economic reasons. You can actually see this first hand in the Texas Legislature where there is split within the GOP between business-minded Republicans and the ideologically driven socially conservative types.

Also, the implication that Blacks & Hispanics who vote Democrat can't be liberal is also absurd. Take the heavily Hispanic Rio Grande Valley region of Texas and urban Dallas County for example. Both areas have a lot of Hispanics who vote Democrat, but do they share the exact same beliefs? One area is filled with desolate border towns, while the other is the anchor of the 4th largest metro area. So you're saying Hispanics are the same across the board?
88% of blacks and 66% of Hispanics voted for Hilary. That's statistically very significant.

Trump won the white vote in every county in Texas, accept Travis county. You tell me if there's something to it?

These are facts, no emotion at all. You tell me what the difference is?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DE9enwUXcAE5RS4.jpg
Where did white voters back Hillary Clinton?

Take a look at the map. Trump won the white vote in almost every area except the coasts, Atlanta, Austin, Chicago, Detroit, and quite a few others. You can read the map I presume. So tell me, why is Austin different? Not better, just a different. I don't know why you get so upset, though I know some Dallas folks are tired of the attention Austin gets.

Old 12-03-2017, 09:46 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
88% of blacks and 66% of Hispanics voted for Hilary. That's statistically very significant.

Trump won the white vote in every county in Texas, accept Travis county. You tell me if there's something to it?

These are facts, no emotion at all. You tell me what the difference is?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DE9enwUXcAE5RS4.jpg
Where did white voters back Hillary Clinton?

Take a look at the map. Trump won the white vote in almost every area except the coasts, Atlanta, Austin, Chicago, Detroit, and quite a few others. You can read the map I presume. So tell me, why is Austin different? Not better, just a different. I don't know why you get so upset, though I know some Dallas folks are tired of the attention Austin gets.
You're generalizing again, which can't be summed up by a map or even by race. You constantly use your South Texas experience and extrapolate it to the entire state. Tell me what similarities do Hispanics in RGV share with those in urban Harris or Dallas Counties? What are the similarities between a white Democrat in a declined, Rust Belt city and a white Democrat in San Francisco? Too many variables in terms of geography, economics, etc. to sum it up especially with an incredibly limited 2 party system.

Nothing is more aggravating than someone who doesn't live live in my city trying to tell me what my city is like. You don't have the slightest clue on what gets passed into law here both at the city and county level. I'm very attuned to Dallas city and Dallas County politics. There's even a difference between city & county politics. I'm well aware of the demographics and white-majority Highland Park (separate town from Dallas) is politically different than white-majority Uptown (city limits).

Last edited by DTXman34; 12-03-2017 at 10:02 PM..

Old 12-03-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
You're generalizing again, which can't be summed up by a map or even by race. You constantly use your South Texas experience and extrapolate it to the entire state. Tell me what similarities do Hispanics in RGV share with those in urban Harris or Dallas Counties? What are the similarities between a white Democrat in a declined, Rust Belt city and a white Democrat in San Francisco? Too many variables in terms of geography, economics, etc. to sum it up especially with an incredibly limited 2 party system.

Nothing is more aggravating than someone who doesn't live live in my city trying to tell me what my city is like. You don't have the slightest clue on what gets passed into law here both at the city and county level. I'm very attuned to Dallas city and Dallas County politics. There's even a difference between city & county politics. I'm well aware of the demographics and white-majority Highland Park (separate town from Dallas) is politically different than white-majority Uptown (city limits).
They all vote democrat. I'll let you extrapolate the reasons why.

If you look at the map, Austin is the only blue blip until you get to New orleans, let's call it a 600 diameter right?. Look at the other blue areas. The coast, northeast, Detroit, a suburb of Atlanta, a couple in Florida. This is where liberal whites live. You are either too biased or you see what you want to see.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:51 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,087,591 times
On the other hand, Travis County's population is less than half that of Dallas County's. I doubt the voting ratio is so skewed in both that Austin, not Dallas, is "where liberal whites live."

Old 12-04-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
On the other hand, Travis County's population is less than half that of Dallas County's. I doubt the voting ratio is so skewed in both that Austin, not Dallas, is "where liberal whites live."
Just talking strictly percentages. Any city, especially in Texas will have a diverse group. Not everyone living in Austin is a tree hugger.

Dallas is huge compared to Austin. I'll bet Dallas county has more people with degrees and more income overall. However, I choose to look at things from a per capita standpoint.

Data is not something to get upset about. It's just data. We can all juxtapose our opinion, in the end, the data tells the story. I find it interesting that from El Paso to Atlanta that Hilary won the white vote in one county, Travis, and one parish, Orleans.

A little bit different isn't bad, or good. It just is. I hope Dallas posters aren't offended again.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
This is poetry.

Oh you're from Texas are you? Are we going to talk about the BBQ and Tex Mex and how you "pack heat"? Or should we talk about the awful weather, mass sprawl, underperforming school systems, ugly concrete cities, traffic, and the fact that people from Texas berate folks about how the state is great?

Oh, look at the growing population you say? Does it have to do with beauty and fun and allure, or could it have to do with the mind bogglingly low cost of living and lack of income tax. For gods sake, even the coast line is ugly. Was located in Houston for work for months, and it was the dreaded. Concrete, some outdoor bars, and the most overhyped food scene on this planet. Manhattan has more good food in its financial district than Houston does in its entirety. Everyone i grew up with made their way to Texas either came back or moved to CO or CA. It's just so low on the desirability totem pole that it views Kansas at eye level. Ok that was harsh.

(^Not you, Austin)

As for California, I think the idea that there are mass amounts of transplants that move there for certain reasons have a lot to do with it. Everyone has the one (or ten) freind who moved there to act, model, surf, play music, find themselves, got fired, hated their families existence. Mix that with the fact that Orange County and the greater LA metroplex exist in general, and it's certainly going to rub people the wrong kind of way. That said, unlike Texas, it's absolutely stunning, and theres an incredible amount of culture in the state. From San Diego to San Fran to Tahoe and beyond.

Really hard to justify hating CA. Really easy to justify hatred for Texas.

Jobs thanks to corporate welfare.

Old 12-04-2017, 01:00 PM

342 posts, read 317,786 times
Another thing to consider:

As bad as California is with lack of common sense and regards toward law, it is still paying more in Federal taxes than it receives.

Texas, on the other hand, is free loading off the rest of the country by taking in more Federal tax dollars than it pays, yet wants to pretend they are against welfare and handouts when they are among the biggest offenders.

The country would be worse off if California left, but would probably balance the deficit if Texas left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.