Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2012, 06:49 PM

7 posts, read 10,454 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to relocate at the end of this October (2012). I'm looking for suggestions on cities and towns in WA, OR, ND, SD, northern CA, CO, WI, MI and the Northeast coast. Any other state, country or territory is a no go, so please don't mention those. Also, I know this post is really long, but I've noticed other posts on this topic have people requesting more info so I thought I'd save the trouble. Of course, I've probably just replaced it with eyestrain, so, sorry 'bout that.

First, a bit about me: I'm a blue collar, 30 something, single tomboy with no kids. Except for skiing, snowboarding and activities that combine jumping or falling with ropes, parachutes, etc., I love the outdoors. I also love music (esp. country, rock and metal), parks, county fairs, riding horses, historical museums (think forts, old ranches and houses, etc.) and natural museums but not art museums. I'm a Libertarian and am firmly in the live and let live, whatever-floats-your-boat-as-long-as-it-doesn't-hurt-others-or-put-them-at-risk camp. I'm spiritual but not affiliated with any single religious doctrine.

So, bearing that in mind, my requirements are:

1-Job availability. My employment history is as a receptionist, payroll clerk and desk clerk although I also have skills as a cashier, secretary, waitress, hostess and librarian. I also kick butt at researching (online, books and records).

2-Good walkability AND transit since I don't have a car and won't be able to get one for a few more years.

3-Middle to low cost of living ($900 rent or below). Comparable utilities, food, taxes, etc. (If it's a bit higher fine, but not astronomical).

4-Good dating scene.

5-Atmosphere. I don't want Disneyland, Spring Break, Retirement Village or Mardi Gras/Carnival.

6-Bonus points if it's in or near mountains and/or forests. Bonus points and a shiny gold star if it's on a lake, bay, sound or reservoir. Bonus points and a silver star if it's near one (drivable's fine but remember, I have to take transit).

7-Population: anywhere from 20,000 to 500,000

8-Weather: Gotta have at least three seasons: summer (sunny and rainy (love thunderstorms!) but no Southern style humidity), wintertime (storms and lots of snow, anywhere from chilly to frigid is fine) and fall (chilly with lots of leaves).

9-Crime. Biggest concerns are murder, sexual assault, b and e, drugs and gangs. And if you recommend neighborhoods, please list their names not boundaries (streets, addresses, etc.) Thanks!

And just fyi, I've taken all the "Where should I live" quizzes and they've given me some ideas but I want to see if anything else pops up. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 07:39 PM

27,158 posts, read 43,835,762 times
I think this may qualify for a shiny gold star... Check out Sioux Falls, South Dakota.

It has a very low unemployment rate (4.7% versus the national average of 9.0%) with employers relevant to your skills. Loads of outdoor recreational opportunity, real live waterfalls and major river in town, a decent transit system as well as a more concentric core in terms of walkability, low housing costs, South Dakota tends more middle of the road politically it seems and crime is largely not an issue. I cannot speak to the dating scene so perhaps that part can be filled in on the SD Forum.

Sioux Falls, South Dakota - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
City of Sioux Falls - Fixed Route Service

Old 05-17-2012, 08:03 PM

93,128 posts, read 123,711,292 times
There are places that are in the Interior Northeast that would fit, but that is outside of your criteria.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:56 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,859,956 times
WA & OR sound very you but I know that Seattle & Portland (the two major cities I'm thinking of) can be kind of expensive. As you have WI on your list, I'd like to throw Madison, WI into the mix. I enjoy Milwaukee as well (there are some very, nice safe areas especially in the outer areas of Milwaukee and some areas along the lake front) but it does have a higher crime rate than the national average.

So let me see if Madison will address your needs

1) Employment: Madison's unemployment level is currently 4.7%, significantly lower than the national average of 8.1%. You've had such a wide range of employment over the years, as long as you're willing to work, I wouldn't think that finding a job would be difficult for you!

2) Walkability Areas of Madison are *definitely* walkable, especially the more central regions such as Capitol, Tenney Lapham, Marquette, etc etc. A quick search on Walkscore gives the central portion of Madison (between Lake Mendota and Lake Monana) very, very high scores for walkability and transit.

3) Cost of Living Generally speaking, the walkable areas are going to be a tad more expensive in Madison than some of the outlying neighborhoods, but the cost of living definitely falls within your price point. As you're single, assuming you were looking for a 1 bedroom apartment, I did a search of costs (within the walkable areas) and came up with Capitol Centre Apartments Madison on W. Dayton Street (google them!). Not only do they get a 4.4/5 on Apartmentratings, but they have a walkscore of 98/100 (amazing!), and a 1 bedroom is currently $835 according to apartment websites (sorry I doubt I can link anything for fear they would be considered competitor sites!) I'll link Capitol Centre's official website though here as I'm sure that would be allowed! Additionally, you'll find Madison's cost of living reasonable. It's slightly higher than the National Average but definitely a lot lower than the Pacific Northwest or some regions in the Northeast.

4) Good Dating Scene: I've never lived there so couldn't tell you (I've only visited). I'm sorry Maybe someone over in the Wisconsin boards could help you with this!

5) Atmosphere: Madison is very pretty in my opinion, and definitely not 'Disneyland', Spring Break, or Retirement Central. It's got some decent neighborhoods and can date it's history back to the early portion of the 1800s. It's restful enough to not be a party zone, but vibrant enough to not be 'sleepy'.

6) Topography- BONUS POINTS! Madison is about 35-40 miles (close in my opinion!) from Cascade Mountain Ski Resort. To the Immediate West of Madison there are some Wooded Areas (Ice Age National Scenic Trail, New Observatory Woods, etc). As for Lakes, Madison is definitely earning a Gold Star here! Madison is between and around 2 (arguably 3) major lakes. If you lived in any of the neighborhoods before mentioned, you'd definitely be within a reasonable walking/public transit distance!

7) Population: Madison has just over 233,000 people, so it falls perfectly in the middle of your population range!

8)Weather: Madison has all four seasons! Although Madison can be humid, it's not nearly as unbearable as Southern Humidity (in my opinion). Madison generally averages a high in the low 80s at the height of Summer. As Summer isn't overly long though, it's totally bearable.

9) Crime: Madison's Crime is below the National Average on all fronts! For a city of it's size, I think the crime standards are very low considering. Even though most of the central neighborhoods are higher in crime than the outer ones, due to Madison's low crime rate I wouldn't really consider anywhere too bad. I believe there is some gang culture, but it's very, very low compared to other cities in the Midwest such as St. Louis, Chicago, etc.

So, Madison would be my pick for you

Good luck on wherever you choose though!

Kindest Regards,
Amber

Old 05-18-2012, 06:19 AM

7 posts, read 10,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
There are places that are in the Interior Northeast that would fit, but that is outside of your criteria.
When I said the Northeast Coast, I thought that meant the states on the Northeast coast, not just the cities or areas of those states that are on the coast. Oops. So, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, etc. are all good!

Old 05-18-2012, 08:14 AM

93,128 posts, read 123,711,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper492 View Post
When I said the Northeast Coast, I thought that meant the states on the Northeast coast, not just the cities or areas of those states that are on the coast. Oops. So, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, etc. are all good!
Well, a place in Upstate NY that came to mind was Ithaca.

You may be able to do Watertown, which has Fort Drum nearby, with its mostly male soldier population and it does have public transit, but it doesn't run too late. It is near Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence River, as well as the 1000 Islands Region.

Plattsburgh may also work, as it is on Lake Champlain and is a ferry ride across the lake from Burlington VT.

You may also like parts of the bigger metros in Upstate NY(Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Albany-Schenectady-Troy, etc.) too. Buffalo has buses and a subway/rail line too. Areas west of Main Street would probably fit pretty much what you are looking for. Keep in mind that overall cost of living in much of Upstate NY is around and in many cases, below the national average.

In PA, perhaps the Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton, Harrisburg/Lancaster/York and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre areas. Erie may work too.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:34 AM

5,516 posts, read 8,759,510 times
Burlington Vt comes to mind. It has a ridiculously low unemployment rate of about 4%, the full range of seasons, and is home of the U. of Vermont, so there are plenty of 20 and 30 somethings around for your social life. The city itself is smallish, but the U keeps it lively. Its not coastal but it is located on beautiful, wide, and sparkling, Lake Champlain and near the mountains(it is the Green Mountain state after all), so outdoor recreational opportunities abound. Rents are reasonable. It has a lively and walkable downtown.

The only thing about it that I am unsure of is public transit. There are certainly buses, but as to routes, hours, and costs I have to plead ignorance.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:24 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,753,373 times
I've been reading about La Crosse, WI. It is about the size of Burlington, and much less expensive. I hear it has good public transit. Nice scenery, affordability, the Mississippi for water access, and friendly folks.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:04 PM

14 posts, read 20,013 times
Smaller areas in the SF(not in the City)/Bay Area particularly the East Bay might suit your needs.

1-Job availability. My employment history is as a receptionist, payroll clerk and desk clerk although I also have skills as a cashier, secretary, waitress, hostess and librarian. I also kick butt at researching (online, books and records). There are job available in these areas but you will have to really look

2-Good walkability AND transit since I don't have a car and won't be able to get one for a few more years. BART is fantastic for most areas I have a lot of friends who do not drive here.

3-Middle to low cost of living ($900 rent or below). Comparable utilities, food, taxes, etc. (If it's a bit higher fine, but not astronomical). There are some areas where you could find a studio or single in your range.

4-Good dating scene. I think it's pretty good most of my friends are older and I have been married 20 years so am no expert

5-Atmosphere. I don't want Disneyland, Spring Break, Retirement Village or Mardi Gras/Carnival. Great atmosphere tons to do in most cities and all accessible by BART

6-Bonus points if it's in or near mountains and/or forests. Bonus points and a shiny gold star if it's on a lake, bay, sound or reservoir. Bonus points and a silver star if it's near one (drivable's fine but remember, I have to take transit). You would be near the ocean, the bay and many reservoir.

7-Population: anywhere from 20,000 to 500,000 depends on the city

8-Weather: Gotta have at least three seasons: summer (sunny and rainy (love thunderstorms!) but no Southern style humidity), wintertime (storms and lots of snow, anywhere from chilly to frigid is fine) and fall (chilly with lots of leaves). Very little snow but you can get there in the winter (there are probably buses but I would suggest getting a ride.)

9-Crime. Biggest concerns are murder, sexual assault, b and e, drugs and gangs. And if you recommend neighborhoods, please list their names not boundaries (streets, addresses, etc.)

You can find specific info for cities here on city data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.