Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 09:48 AM

159 posts, read 428,317 times

Advertisements

Boston, if you want to pick a place. Four very obviously defined seasons, snow in the winters, colors in the fall, mild (though they can be hot) summers with thunderstorms, and glorious, vibrant springs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 09:56 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,946,219 times
Ohio river valley. Lexington, KY; Louisville, KY; Covington, KY; Cincinnati, OH... seasons last about 3 months a piece. Winters are mild (usually less than a foot of snow at a time. Exceptions every few years). Spring, everything blooms (and allergies are terrible). Summers are green and warm, humid but not unbearably so. Fall is one of the most beautiful months, with everything changing colors.

Here's just north of Lexington, KY -- close to Georgetown. A lot of the countryside in the "Bluegrass" area is rolling horse farms. Very scenic!

Winter is nice -- here's a horse farm near Lexington. The grass is still poking through the snow in this picture.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:58 AM

121 posts, read 295,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
lol i don't care about snowfall (or snow on the ground), i care about temps (though snow will fall in october and may measurably in upstate ny). If the low drops below freezing that is winter, not spring, not fall, definitely not summer.

i live in detroit right now
After mid march, the high temps are mostly in the upper 40s and 50s at times which is more of a transition time to spring. Also, the days get longer as compared to the heart of the winter.

It normally does not snow until thanksgiving. Oct temps are in the 60s and upper 50s...thats more fall than winter to me.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:00 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,660,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Snow in May or October is extremely rare, even in a place as snowy as Upstate NY (October 2006 snow storm, was their first Oct snow in quite a few years). What temp do you consider the start of summer then? If it's 80, I guess under this reasoning, my summer began over 2 months ago.
i just had a glance at the weather info for syracuse, they average .4 inches in october. That's flurries but it's still snow.

Summer temps should be above 80 average. Pittsburgh only gets that way for 2 months (july and august and maybe june). A couple of 80s here or there doesn't make it summer. The average for an extended period of time has to be.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kram79 View Post
After mid march, the high temps are mostly in the upper 40s and 50s at times which is more of a transition time to spring. Also, the days get longer as compared to the heart of the winter.

It normally does not snow until thanksgiving. Oct temps are in the 60s and upper 50s...thats more fall than winter to me.
syracuse averages .4 inches in october of snow but to me, by mid october the nighttime temps are freezing or below. I consider it winter anytime the temp drops to freezing or below.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:03 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,940,725 times
I would say the northeastern section of the South (i.e. DC, VA, MD, DE). This is not the mid-atlantic. The mid-atlantic is NY, NJ and PA.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I would say the northeastern section of the South (i.e. DC, VA, MD, DE). This is not the mid-atlantic. The mid-atlantic is NY, NJ and PA.
DE, MD, VA is definitely the midatlantic. You can say north carolina is the south but to me it's still part of the midatlantic ...

Old 05-25-2012, 11:29 AM

110 posts, read 300,234 times
I'd also vote for the southern Appalachians in Georgia, NC, TN, VA and even upstate SC. There's a really good balance of seasons. Let's go with N Georgia

Spring

Summer- much more mild than farther south

Autumn is heaven

And for those of you who think Georgia doesn't get any snow...

Winter begins early at the highest elevations

Old 05-25-2012, 11:51 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,150,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
i just had a glance at the weather info for syracuse, they average .4 inches in october. That's flurries but it's still snow.

Summer temps should be above 80 average. Pittsburgh only gets that way for 2 months (july and august and maybe june). A couple of 80s here or there doesn't make it summer. The average for an extended period of time has to be.
Pittsburgh is only above 80 two months of the year? Where do you get your info from? I have never seen a may, June, and September without at least several 80+ days and half of the time there will be at least one day of 90 in those months too. Its above 80 over half of June and almost a third of may. I also haven't seen many Aprils without one 80 degree day.

My forecast clearly shows it's not summer here yet.

This Afternoon: A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 4pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 87. Southwest wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Tonight: A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly before 7pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 64. West wind around 6 mph becoming calm. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Saturday: A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after 1pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 89. Light northeast wind. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Saturday Night: A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms before midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 68. Light southeast wind. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Sunday: A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with a high near 89. South wind between 3 and 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 69.

Memorial Day: Mostly sunny, with a high near 90.

Monday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 71.

Tuesday: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 85. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Tuesday Night: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 62. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Wednesday: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny, with a high near 82. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Wednesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 55.

Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 77.

Last edited by bradjl2009; 05-25-2012 at 12:07 PM..

Old 05-25-2012, 12:33 PM

121 posts, read 295,068 times
I agree with the "usable" days statement made earlier. I would personally prefer places with usable days in the summer and fall with longer days rather than those in winter with lesser daylight....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.