Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 08:59 AM

19 posts, read 45,954 times

Advertisements

I am looking for some suggestions about a great small east coast city to settle down with a family. I currently live in a DC metro suburb, and the weather (90 degrees before June 1!) and cost of living are making us want to leave. We have a decent household income (about $160K) and still will not be able to afford to stay in this area with a second child on the way.

I know there are many threads on this subject, but I was hoping this post would help me uncover some new places we don't know about yet. Here are our desires:

-Small to medium sized city, or big town. Big enough to have all of the amenities we might need and a thriving sense of community.
-Walkable downtown where people actually walk.
-Easy access to nature within 1-2 hours
-Moderate climate (not too cold or too hot)
-Good schools
-More affordable than DC/Boston/NY metro areas (can buy a SF house with a small yard for less than $500K)
-Although not necessary, within 5 hours of NYC would be ideal.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions you might have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 10:03 AM

93,329 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Perhaps the Harrisburg, Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton and Scranton-Wilkes Barre areas of PA. Upstate NY outside of the winter weather, would work with areas like Syracuse, Albany-Schenectady-Troy, Utica-Rome, Ithaca and perhaps Binghamton. Rochester is a maybe in terms of distance from NYC and can't forget Glens Falls. Here's a list of Upstate NY school rankings: 2011 Upstate school district rankings - Buffalo - Business First

Charlottesville VA may work too.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:29 AM

Another thing to consider with Upstate NY is its proximity not only to the Bos-Wash corridor, but to Canadian cities like Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal. Same thing in terms of outdoor offerings and many cases, you don't have to leave the county in that regard.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:51 AM

800 posts, read 1,463,782 times
How about Charlottesville, VA?

Old 05-29-2012, 11:53 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcg79 View Post
I am looking for some suggestions about a great small east coast city to settle down with a family. I currently live in a DC metro suburb, and the weather (90 degrees before June 1!) and cost of living are making us want to leave. We have a decent household income (about $160K) and still will not be able to afford to stay in this area with a second child on the way.

I know there are many threads on this subject, but I was hoping this post would help me uncover some new places we don't know about yet. Here are our desires:

-Small to medium sized city, or big town. Big enough to have all of the amenities we might need and a thriving sense of community.
-Walkable downtown where people actually walk.
-Easy access to nature within 1-2 hours
-Moderate climate (not too cold or too hot)
-Good schools
-More affordable than DC/Boston/NY metro areas (can buy a SF house with a small yard for less than $500K)
-Although not necessary, within 5 hours of NYC would be ideal.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions you might have!
Philly would meet all and then some, just not much different climate wise than DC, a little cooler (not much in the summer) and a little cooler in the winter (not much)

Old 05-29-2012, 12:28 PM

19 posts, read 45,954 times
Thanks for the suggestions.

ckh... good point about the upstate NY towns being close to canadian cities as well. i really do love Ithaca and some of the other places you mentioned, but they seem so far from both the ocean, and the DC/NY/Philly corridor. I guess having grown up near NYC, that will continue to be my point of reference.

Lone Star.. I have seen the suggestion of Charlottesville come up a lot. I think we will have to go there to check it out. We may also not need to quit our jobs if we moved there if we could telecommute a few days a week.

Kid Philly.. I hesitate to look into big cities because of the sprawl-factor that make me depressed. I'm sure there are neighborhoods of Philly that are really nice, but how does the sprawl compare to the DC area? I feel a bit claustrophobic here because we live in a great community surrounded by strip malls and new suburban housing developments.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:22 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,787,860 times
Carlisle, PA could be worth looking into, better than average schools, walkable to services, older areas are typified by attached homes (some of which are very nice and inexpensive) but there are older singles too within the walkable borough (town limits) area.

It does have an ugly strip of road, US 11 connecting I-81 and I-76 aka the "Miracle Mile" of Middlesex Township that seems to turn people off, but as soon as you leave that road (locals avoid it too) the countryside brings you back two centuries. There are also monster warehouses attracted by the proximity to the big metros without being in them, but again those can be avoided. The hyper-localism of PA compared to VA and MD does have some virtues, the smaller municipalities mean that zoning occurs on a smaller less logical but also less overwhelming scale.

Expansive state forest areas (some along the Appalachian Trail), and famous trout streams are within 2 minutes to an hour.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:25 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcg79 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions.

ckh... good point about the upstate NY towns being close to canadian cities as well. i really do love Ithaca and some of the other places you mentioned, but they seem so far from both the ocean, and the DC/NY/Philly corridor. I guess having grown up near NYC, that will continue to be my point of reference.

Lone Star.. I have seen the suggestion of Charlottesville come up a lot. I think we will have to go there to check it out. We may also not need to quit our jobs if we moved there if we could telecommute a few days a week.

Kid Philly.. I hesitate to look into big cities because of the sprawl-factor that make me depressed. I'm sure there are neighborhoods of Philly that are really nice, but how does the sprawl compare to the DC area? I feel a bit claustrophobic here because we live in a great community surrounded by strip malls and new suburban housing developments.
Which area of DC do you reside; there are similarities and differences; on the whole the metros are about the same size though there may be more rustic areas in closer as well as older less cookie cutter parts.

Do you plan to reside in the city, burbs, exurbs etc?

Old 05-29-2012, 02:25 PM

If the reference to the ocean is in regards to beaches, you may like lakeshore beaches. Lake Ontario has sunsets to die for and the beaches up here aren't that crowded. For instance, your kids may like this Upstate version of Coney Island between Syracuse and Utica: Sylvan Beach - Things to do, Events, Hotels, Restaurants, Shop
Sylvan - Verona Beach Resort Association, Sylvan Beach, NY
Home

Or this Adirondack community: Old Forge New York in the Adirondacks | McCauley Mountain Ski | Water Park | Cruises | Lodging | Museums | Hiking, biking, swimming, fishing, boating, snowmobiling
Enchanted Forest Water Safari - Where the Fun never stops!

Or this area: Visit 1000 Islands: Official Tourism Bureau of the Thousand Islands Region
Thousand Islands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and this: Finger Lakes - A guide to the Finger Lakes Region of New York State
finger lakes - Google Search

Keep in mind that a city like Syracuse, for example, is within a 4 hour drive of NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa, with DC being about 5 hours by car. All of the examples above are within 2 hours at the most.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:35 PM

800 posts, read 1,463,782 times
Also, if you're willing to venture a bit further south, check out Greenville, SC. It has an excellent downtown area (lots of other mid-size cities are using Greenville as a model for how downtown renewal should be done), summers are about what you're used to (definitely not as bad as most of the rest of the south), it's right at the foothills of the Southern Appalachian/Great Smoky Mountains with lots of hiking/biking/kayaking/etc., schools are good, and COL is very affordable. You're a good 12-hour drive from NYC, however Greenville is located 2 hours from either Atlanta or Charlotte if the mood strikes you for a big-city weekend getaway.

Just another good option to consider that you may not have thought of...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.