U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 07:56 PM

459 posts, read 578,196 times

Advertisements

Pasadena, CA is where I was born. In Huntington if anyone's familiar. I have lived in LA my whole life, despite traveling often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 04:24 PM

302 posts, read 534,753 times
I was born in Southfield, Michigan, just outside of Detroit. Lived in the Detroit metro area in Pontiac/Waterford until around age five, when we moved up to the Sault Ste. Marie area in the Upper Peninsula. We lived in nearby Kinross township until after elementary school, then Sault Ste. Marie itself after that.
I went to college at Western Michigan University in Kalamazoo. I graduated last year, and I've been bumming around back home in the Sault since looking for a "real" job.
I've got a soft spot for Sault Ste. Marie... it's got a lot of character, lots of history here (oldest town in the midwest, 1668!). But it's remote, not a lot of jobs, not a great social or dating scene. I'm hoping to get down to Lower Michigan or the Chicago area eventually. Though I'll want to come up to the Sault for a visit every summer... it will always be home.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:52 PM

434 posts, read 970,321 times
Born and raised in Sandusky, Ohio (lived there for 12 years)
Family moved to neighboring Norwalk, Ohio (lived there for 9 years)

Went to college on the outskirts of Chicago, Illinois

Currently live in Rockford, Illinois (nearly 3 years).

I am proud of where I'm from.....I'd like to move back to northern Ohio eventually!

Old 06-08-2012, 07:26 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,495,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoftheNorth View Post
I was born in Southfield, Michigan, just outside of Detroit. Lived in the Detroit metro area in Pontiac/Waterford until around age five, when we moved up to the Sault Ste. Marie area in the Upper Peninsula. We lived in nearby Kinross township until after elementary school, then Sault Ste. Marie itself after that.
I went to college at Western Michigan University in Kalamazoo. I graduated last year, and I've been bumming around back home in the Sault since looking for a "real" job.
I've got a soft spot for Sault Ste. Marie... it's got a lot of character, lots of history here (oldest town in the midwest, 1668!). But it's remote, not a lot of jobs, not a great social or dating scene. I'm hoping to get down to Lower Michigan or the Chicago area eventually. Though I'll want to come up to the Sault for a visit every summer... it will always be home.

I thought St. Ignace was older - the 3rd oldest city in the US.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I thought St. Ignace was older - the 3rd oldest city in the US.
Nope St. Ignace was founded after the Sault, 1671 to the Sault's 1668.

Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
Sault Ste. Marie was already a locus of Native American settlement five-hundred years ago. It became the first European settlement in the region that became the Midwestern United States,[2] when, in 1668, Father Jacques Marquette, having heard of the Native American village, traveled there to found a Catholic mission. A fur-trading settlement quickly grew at the crossroads that straddled the banks of the river, the center of a trading route of 3,000 miles (4,800 km) that extended from Montreal to the Sault, and from the Sault to the country north of Lake Superior.[3]

Old 06-09-2012, 10:32 AM

5,278 posts, read 6,495,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoftheNorth View Post
Nope St. Ignace was founded after the Sault, 1671 to the Sault's 1668.

Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Does that make the Soo the 2nd oldest city in the US, after St. Augustine, Florida ?

Old 06-09-2012, 10:39 AM

5,789 posts, read 10,491,570 times
Born in Poughkeepsie, NY and lived in neighboring Hyde Park, NY. Tend to identify myself with the Mid-Hudson Valley and Catskill Mountains.

According to my friends/family back east (and those I've met in Missouri), I've gone native and to them: I am a full blown Californian

Old 06-09-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Does that make the Soo the 2nd oldest city in the US, after St. Augustine, Florida ?
Nah, people around here like to say that Sault Ste. Marie is the 3rd oldest city in the US, but a bunch of the East Coast cities are older. Boston (1630), Plymouth, Massachusetts (1620) New York (as New Amsterdam, 1614), Hampton, Virginia (1610).
Offically, Sault Ste. Marie is just the oldest in Michigan and maybe the midwest. (wikipedia says Green Bay is older :-/, though I've never read that before. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._of_foundation )
Of course Sault Ste. Marie was a Native American village for hundreds of years before the French arrived here, so who knows how old it really is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.