U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 06:44 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,331,876 times

Advertisements

Where would you rather live :

Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo, St. Louis, or Baltimore?

i ask this, because these cities i feel like people bash all of the time for things like poverty, crime, ect.. so which one would you pick an why? Please try not to get ugly with this one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 06:45 PM

13 posts, read 10,346 times
Cleveland. It actually is a nice city, and underrated. Also, Baltimore is up there. I would not live in the inner city for the crime. However, it is close to Washington and other interesting cities on the east coast along with the ocean.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:27 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,582,491 times
St Louis, I suppose.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:53 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,914,308 times
St. Louis. St. Louis I think has the most character out of these cities except maybe for Detroit. It's centrally located in the United States, IMO has the best weather (all four seasons experienced at their fullest), and I also think that it's the most neatly laid out. Although Cleveland I think is a great city as well...it competes with St. Louis in many ways...it's summers are not as hot, but it's winters on the other hand are probably among the most unbearable of the United States because of the ridiculous amount of snow that it gets. Cleveland and St. Louis I think could be considered twin cities apart from their climates...both are Midwestern, about the same in size, and have the same number of tourist attractions to each other. Also, the stereotypes about Cleveland, St. Louis, and Detroit being dangerous cities are bull...within the city limits, maybe...within the metro area certainly a false statement. Baltimore I wouldn't want to live in simply because it's climate is not diverse enough for me. Buffalo simply loses out I think because it is much smaller than any of these cities, has nothing going economically for it, and has the worst winter weather out of these four. Buffalo has Niagara Falls...that's about it for me as far as interesting tourist attractions. Buffalo I'd say is a better place to visit than to live.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:01 PM

13 posts, read 10,346 times
I was thinking St. Louis also too. I never really visited it, just drove through it. I think if St. Louis works on urban revitilization it would be back up to being one of America's greats. It looks like it has tons of character to it.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:13 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,331,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Baltimore I wouldn't want to live in simply because it's climate is not diverse enough for me.
um, not exactly. Summers = hummid in hundreds and really sunny, Fall = cool weather, the leaves change bright colors , Winter = sometimes close to freezing, lots of snow, spring = 50's to 70's with rain and sun

mabey that isn't what you're talking about though

Old 09-23-2007, 09:12 PM

2,368 posts, read 6,834,793 times
I would live in my hometown Cleveland.Its my favorite city.Also if Cleveland annexed some of its suburbs,or all of them,its crime rate and poverty rate would be much lower.Most of the crime in Cleveland's Metro happens in Cleveland.Out of all the cities I'd pick Cleveland,but all of those cities are probably great cities,and I hope to visit Detroit,St. Louis,Buffalo,and Baltimore someday.I think you coud throw Newark and Philly into the mix with these cities too.The rust belt cities are the best to me,actually any city in the Northeast or Midwest.Also having been to Chicago,I thought it had the same king of atmosphere as Cleveland.I don't think thier exactly alike,but in alot of aspects thier very similar.Thats why Cleveland and Chicago are my 1 and 2 favorite cities.

Old 09-24-2007, 12:20 AM

2,248 posts, read 6,212,898 times
Detroit, or Cleveland. Both are similar

Old 09-24-2007, 12:23 AM

2,248 posts, read 6,212,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Cleveland and St. Louis I think could be considered twin cities apart from their climates...both are Midwestern, about the same in size, and have the same number of tourist attractions to each other.
Funny, I thought only Cincy and Pittsburg were similar to St. Louis. Cleveland seems to have much more in common with Detroit in terms of housing styles and climate.

Old 09-24-2007, 12:44 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,285,888 times
Cleveland and Detroit are similar on paper only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or