Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 10:05 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,107,813 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised Austin and San Antonio are not listed since they are growing faster population wise than all the cities listed only Houston is growing as fast. S.A. is even growing faster now with the ford shale activity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 10:38 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarichter View Post
You are right... and they destroy entire ecosystems where we decide to make them.
so do roads, towers, theme parks, bridges, etc etc.

big woo. We have been effing up ecosystems for tens of thousands of years

Old 08-21-2012, 10:44 AM

188 posts, read 515,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
so do roads, towers, theme parks, bridges, etc etc.

big woo. We have been effing up ecosystems for tens of thousands of years
doesn't mean we should keep doing it...

and yes, going off-topic

Old 08-21-2012, 11:04 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,353 times
Quote:
I'm more surprised by DC... where are they sticking these people? Under bridges? I didn't even know there was room to expand!
Well, a lot of them are moving to Virginia, but D.C. is about to finish apartment complexes that will open up a ton of housing. It'll actually outstrip demand. Prices may actually drop--something that sounds inconceivable.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
doesn't mean we should keep doing it...

and yes, going off-topic
but we do. and if we cover half the metro with concrete whats covering a few square miles with water.

Also, I don't think those lakes in Arizona cover major ecosystems. More than likely more lively ones were created and sustained by them.

and no we are not off topic. We are discussing the cities people are moving to and how they can be sustained (new water sources)

Old 08-21-2012, 02:00 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,889,348 times
Those man-made lakes in AZ lie on top of the natural route of the Salt River. Some riparian habitat along side the river disappeared but the surrounding habitat is desert as always, with steady abundant water for larger desert animals like deer, mountain lions, etc. The point of the pics is to show there's a lot of water around Phoenix, that's why the biggest city in AZ was built there because that's where the most water is.

Northern cities in wet places impact their environment too, displacing hundreds of miles of natural habitat, not to mention using a lot of energy for heating. Which is fine, I'll side with people having water and heat over frogs and beavers in a few spots anytime.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:16 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
Quote:
but we do. and if we cover half the metro with concrete whats covering a few square miles with water.

Also, I don't think those lakes in Arizona cover major ecosystems. More than likely more lively ones were created and sustained by them.

and no we are not off topic. We are discussing the cities people are moving to and how they can be sustained (new water sources)
Those lakes dehydrate in the sun and fizzle into thin air because the air is a.) too dry, and b.) too hot. The water levels of the major AZ reservoirs have dropped dozens of feet, especially lately!

Old 08-21-2012, 02:20 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
Quote:
nice lakes.

people are always posting doom and gloom stories about cities running out of water.

Man made lakes are not that hard to create.
Yes, they ARE hard to create, and very expensive! Creating a dam is no small task. Besides, it's not like you are creating water when you create a man-made lake, you're just diverting it. I'm sure you know this, but what I'm telling you when I say this is that by taking water from a non-sustainable source (like a man-made lake in a desert) and depriving other areas that depend on the little water that DOES flow in and around the AZ deserts, you are really interfering with a vast and sensitive ecosystem that is dependent on that very water.

It's not "doom and gloom" that people are preaching, but rather, common sense reactions to the "solution" of living in a desert: "what about water"? Seems like a fair question to me.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Those man-made lakes in AZ lie on top of the natural route of the Salt River. Some riparian habitat along side the river disappeared but the surrounding habitat is desert anyways, with steady abundant water for larger desert animals like deer, mountain lions, etc. The point of the pics is to show there's a lot of water around Phoenix, that's why the biggest city in AZ was built there because that's where the most water is.

Northern cities in wet places impact their environment too, displacing hundreds of miles of natural habitat, not to mention using a lot of energy for heating. Which is fine, I'll side with people having water and heat over frogs and beavers in a few spots anytime.
That is exactly what I was saying.
All development displaces wildlife, but life is more sparse in the SW so the damage is much less severe than elsewhere, and the extra water sustain life and creates new ecosystems

Old 08-21-2012, 03:38 PM

188 posts, read 515,603 times
Quote:
That is exactly what I was saying.
All development displaces wildlife, but life is more sparse in the SW so the damage is much less severe than elsewhere, and the extra water sustain life and creates new ecosystems
Life is not that sparse here in the desert... it's just not as visible as the rest of the country (in the sense of forests and deer).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.