U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 09:56 PM

37 posts, read 56,655 times

Advertisements

My family is planning a move. We used to live abroad and came back to the US to have a baby. I work from home/plan to go to grad school and my husband wants to start a *small* food business. My family lives in Buffalo and our top contenders are currently Charlotte and Pittsburgh. I'm wondering, which place is better? For kids/education/quality of life?? Any comments are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 06:49 AM

63 posts, read 59,719 times
Neither.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:05 AM

892 posts, read 1,080,177 times
Pittsburgh.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:12 AM

21,189 posts, read 30,372,337 times
Charlotte.

Much milder weather, safer, good schools, beautiful area and nicer people in my opinion.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:39 AM

1,860 posts, read 4,441,865 times
Depends on your priorities.

I grew up about 90 minutes from Pittsburgh, and now live about 90 minutes from Charlotte so I'm somewhat familiar w/both cities.

I have a good friend who teaches for Charlotte-Meck schools and has been in a few different schools in the district, he doesn't have a lot of positive things to say about them. I do know that some of the suburban districts tend to be a little better (like Ft. Mill or Union County) so that could be a good option. Don't know much about Pittsburgh schools.

Having relocated south, my obvious bias is towards Charlotte in large part due to the milder climate. Also, there are a ton of Pittsburgh transplants in Charlotte, so much so that if the Steelers play the Panthers in Charlotte, the stadium is about 50/50 Steeler/Panther fans - so that should tell you something. Pittsburgh is a nice city as well though, and being that you have family in Buffalo, it would obviously put you in much closer proximity to them than Charlotte would.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:10 PM

5,952 posts, read 7,322,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Charlotte.

Much milder weather, safer, good schools, beautiful area and nicer people in my opinion.
Do you have stats on this? The Pittsburgh metro is considered one the safest large metros in the country. Also, many of the school districts in suburban Pittsburgh are very highly regarded and there are a few good schools in the city as well.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:19 PM

21,189 posts, read 30,372,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Do you have stats on this? The Pittsburgh metro is considered one the safest large metros in the country. Also, many of the school districts in suburban Pittsburgh are very highly regarded and there are a few good schools in the city as well.
From Neighborhood Scout..

"With a crime rate of 48 per one thousand residents, Pittsburgh has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 21. Within Pennsylvania, more than 96% of the communities have a lower crime rate than Pittsburgh."

"The crime rate in Charlotte is considerably higher than the national average across all communities in America from the largest to the smallest, although at 47 crimes per one thousand residents, it is not among the communities with the very highest crime rate. The chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime in Charlotte is 1 in 21. Based on FBI crime data, Charlotte is not one of the safest communities in America. Relative to North Carolina, Charlotte has a crime rate that is higher than 76% of the state's cities and towns of all sizes."

Worth noting as a difference, in the South/Southeast crime tends to be more segregated racially versus the north, so the stats can be misleading. Despite that Charlotte still fairs slightly better overall.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:19 PM

67 posts, read 137,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibyl_vain View Post
My family is planning a move. We used to live abroad and came back to the US to have a baby. I work from home/plan to go to grad school and my husband wants to start a *small* food business. My family lives in Buffalo and our top contenders are currently Charlotte and Pittsburgh. I'm wondering, which place is better? For kids/education/quality of life?? Any comments are welcome.
Charlotte is up-and-coming, it's new, it's closer to the beach, it's as-close to the mountains, it's not in the rust belt... and it has a decent (but not perfect) representation in pro sports.

For me, it's a no-brainer. Charlotte.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:28 PM

4,457 posts, read 7,523,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
From Neighborhood Scout..

Worth noting as a difference, in the South/Southeast crime tends to be more segregated racially versus the north, so the stats can be misleading. Despite that Charlotte still fairs slightly better overall.
Comparing the crime rate in a city like Charlotte to Pittsburgh is definitely an apples-oranges comparison, however. Whereas Charlotte encompasses almost the entirety of Mecklenburg County at 297 sq. miles, Pittsburgh is much more defined urban core at around 58 sq. miles -- hence reported crime will be much more concentrated in Pittsburgh's city limits, compared to a much more suburban-oriented Charlotte.

The metropolitan area crime rates, as reported by CQ Press for 2010, portray a much more accurate picture of crime in both urban regions. In fact, the Pittsburgh area is actually MUCH safer than the national average and especially compared to Charlotte.

Negative scores denote composite crime below the national average, and positive scores indicate a composite crime score above the national average; higher ranking equates to more crime:

Charlotte: 19.81 (Ranked #87 overall)
Pittsburgh: -29.13 (Ranked #243 overall)

CQ Press: City Crime Rankings 2010-2011

Old 06-07-2012, 09:58 PM

37 posts, read 56,655 times
Thanks for the info. I liked the idea of living near the ocean but Charlotte is pretty far from the Ocean. We had also considered Richmond. Maybe - Pittsburgh/Charlotte/Richmond?? I used to live in Philly, Boston and Moscow, Russia, so I am used to big cities but I am looking for a medium-sized city now that I have a small kid. So - basically, which city is the least boring, has the nicest people? Also, where is it easier to start a small business? We are planning to start a food business (pizza and/or mediterranean style). Finally, I am tentatively planning to get a master's...Pittsburgh has 2 universities with my program, but there are no universities in Charlotte with my program...so I'd have to commute/live near Winston-Salem or Hickory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.