Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 08:23 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurb View Post
Any commercial trucker who drives in the Northeast, specically NYC and Massachusetts. If you can navigate a commercial vehicle of any kind in those two places, you can drive anywhere, in anything. End of story.
Eh, in Italy on the Mediterranean coast I saw a semi-truck navigate up one of those classic Italian cities on the side of a mountain: winding back-and-forth, steep as hell and u-turns every 200 yards. He didn't even reposition himself or slow down!! THAT was the epitome of great driving in my eyes, and if you can do THAT you can drive almost anywhere!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 08:27 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,828,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
In what states would you say IN GENERAL are the best drivers ie: stick to speed limits,laws etc...from what I've seen of the states I've been to,western Virginia and Indiana were the only ones that have come close. The northeast has got to be the worst I've seen and have also heard they drive pretty fast in places like Montana etc...but that's probably expected considering the area to cover;
I know that New Englanders tend to drive erratically sometimes and use their horns a lot, but I think they are better drivers since they have a ton of experience with all sorts of driving conditions (snow, heavy rain, heat, etc.).

I mean really, when you live in these states, you tend to travel to larger cities such as NYC, Boston, and all those a lot, so your city driving tends to be a lot better. A friend of mine from Indiana drove from Fort Wayne all the way to meet me in Newark, NJ and thought I was driving terribly when we went to Manhattan. I had to explain to him that you have to keep up with the flow of traffic and pay very close attention or you'll cause an accident.

I mean really, this guy goes 50 in a 55 and thinks that 55 is speeding...

Florida drivers are terrible in my opinion but that's just because 99% of them are all old and should not even have their license. I was traveling to Tampa once from Sarasota to get to the airport and four times I had to literally slam on the brake and go from 77 to 0 in a matter of seconds. I've never seen people brake so quickly for the littlest things such as them seeing a cop and feeling that 75 is too fast in a 70.

Drivers in Mass. are just really annoying because they use their horns and give the finger more than any other type of driver I've ever seen. But their driving skills aren't bad.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:07 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,738,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
It means I'm willing to hit you if you don't get out of my way.
That sounds like a good plan.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:36 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,722,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
When I drove through Indiana, I noticed a lot of really close tailgaters (not tailgating me, but others). But other than that the drivers seemed fine.
^ This happens a lot in Indiana when people simply float along in the passing lane on the highways. I'm from IN (born and raised) and the only times I see someone get mad is when another person won't get out of the passing lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Indiana drivers don't seem to have a problem driving faster than 70 in Michigan. Why is it a problem when Michigan drivers reciprocate in Indiana?
I think there's a difference between driving over the speed limit on the highway or interstate vs. driving over the speed limit in our small towns.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:42 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,512,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by negativenancy View Post
^ This happens a lot in Indiana when people simply float along in the passing lane on the highways. I'm from IN (born and raised) and the only times I see someone get mad is when another person won't get out of the passing lane.

I think there's a difference between driving over the speed limit on the highway or interstate vs. driving over the speed limit in our small towns.
#1 that would irritate me and my parents too as drivers. So go figure Hoosiers think alike
#2 exactly
Speeding on the interstate is one thing. Speeding in a small town with pedestrians is another....

Old 06-12-2012, 04:55 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times

Man Drives Onto Philly Airport Runway - YouTube

Old 06-12-2012, 05:09 PM

872 posts, read 1,713,073 times
In my experiences people on the west coast, southwest, northern New England, and upstate New York are the most skilled and polite overall. Drivers in NC, SC, and VA seem better than most other states as well.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:14 PM

872 posts, read 1,713,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
Is there places where rubbernecking is not a issue at all. not too long ago in Minneapolis there was a pretty major accident on the freeway. the accident was on the westbound lanes. i was on the eastbound lanes and traffic randomly slowed down at the point of the accident...... it was pretty stupid but it was a pretty bad accident that even had a school bus involved but still if you're on a freeway where traffic flows at around 70mph please don't slow way down because something caught your attention
Drivers do this crap all the time in Florida. Very annoying.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:15 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Well, seems like someone found a nice shortcut.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:16 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,738,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by negativenancy View Post
I imagine tailgating those who are just hanging out in the passing lane is normal in most places, it's just that in Indiana they seemed a LOT closer (compared to my native TN at least). And the people being tailgated weren't going 65, but 75+. When I lived in TN, people would tailgate on two lane roads when you were already going five over the limit. Then, when they finally got a chance to pass, once they got back in front of you they'd go the same speed you were going before or slower. It's like they didn't care what your speed was, they just wanted to be in front. Never could figure that out.

I should add that, aside from the tailgating Indiana drivers seemed much better than Tennessee drivers. Come to think of it, every place I drove on my trip across the country had better drivers than TN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.