Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 04:18 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,061,266 times

Advertisements

Feel free to compare the pros and cons of living in places like Detroit, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, Cleveland, St. Louis, Chicago, and Cincinnati to living in places like Nashville, Louisville, Richmond, Charlotte, Miami, Houston, Atlanta, New Orleans, Dallas, etc.

Specifically, discuss what the advantages of living in the Rust Belt are over living in the Sun Belt. Statistics to support your views would greatly be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 04:35 PM

860 posts, read 1,348,385 times
Well, all of the cities listed ARE in The US, so they can't be that bad. Some cities in the rust belt have plentiful job and career opportunities, and some don't, same goes with cities in the sunbelt. It all comes down to personal preference, and even more so, what's the "hip" location to be in. I prefer the North.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:39 PM

37,789 posts, read 41,472,106 times
I prefer the Sunbelt/South because it's home. However the Rustbelt has much to offer and I'm really rooting for cities like Detroit, Cleveland, and St. Louis to make comebacks.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:13 PM

23,302 posts, read 43,751,651 times
I really dont see Chicago as a 'rust belt' city. Its far too large and diversified to be in that category.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:56 AM

296 posts, read 641,230 times
yeah, I agree, u can't really count Chicago in that catergory.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:04 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,747,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Feel free to compare the pros and cons of living in places like Detroit, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, Cleveland, St. Louis, Chicago, and Cincinnati to living in places like Nashville, Louisville, Richmond, Charlotte, Miami, Houston, Atlanta, New Orleans, Dallas, etc.

Specifically, discuss what the advantages of living in the Rust Belt are over living in the Sun Belt. Statistics to support your views would greatly be appreciated.
Louisville is NOT a Sun Belt city.

It's neither; it shares some of the characteristics of a Rust Belt city, but it's just geographically and climatically far enough south to not be in the Rust Belt. But, it's geo., clim. and culturally not a Sun Belt City as it is where the Midwest shakes hands with the South, so to speak.

I'm sure some die-hard Midwesterner from Peoria or Dubuque will contest my statement. I'm from Kentucky originally, have lived in Louisville and know what I'm talking about.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:05 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,747,982 times
My preference to live in the Sun Belt is subjective: generally better weather, nicer people and more interesting and diverse scenery compared to the Rust Belt. However, I think I would like the upper LP and UP of Michigan, Eastern Iowa, Wisconsin, or Minnesota, minus the winter weather.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:07 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,535,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
My preference to live in the Sun Belt is subjective: generally better weather, nicer people and more interesting and diverse scenery compared to the Rust Belt. However, I think I would like the upper LP and UP of Michigan, Eastern Iowa, Wisconsin, or Minnesota, minus the winter weather.

Just buy a summer cottage in one of those places. Real estate is cheap right now.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:42 AM

23,302 posts, read 43,751,651 times
One positive I see for the Rust Belt (as an architecture buff) is that their growth period slowed down before the postwar Urban Renewal period. The Sunbelt cities got caught in the thick of it, and as a result lost a lot of landmark buildings as well as the integrity of some of their historic neighborhoods. When the Rust Belt has a revival (and I believe that it will), it will happen in more enlightened times.
Think about what an amazing city Detroit was, and what it could be again.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:00 AM

2,423 posts, read 4,294,181 times
For me it really depends.i would rather live in Atlanta or Houston when compared to Detroit or Cleveland. But Iwould rather live in st. Louis or Milwaukee before living on Charlotte or Nashville. As a region I like the rustbelt better. The sunbelt is HUGE so it's hard to really take it as one region since it varies culturally and some of its cities are night and day. The rust belt, while also very different,shares more similarities within itself than the sun belt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.