Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 03:21 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times

Advertisements

oh, so where did yo obtain the psychic abilities to magically know where people's loyalty lies? To know why somebody flies a flag. Can you teach me to mind read?
It's a good thing you don't work for CBP or ICE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 04:08 PM

200 posts, read 273,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
oh, so where did yo obtain the psychic abilities to magically know where people's loyalty lies? To know why somebody flies a flag. Can you teach me to mind read?
It's a good thing you don't work for CBP or ICE.
I don't care if they're loyal Americans or not. If they're truly loyal then they'd know what it means. Should British people fly German flags because they have German heritage? Should Italian people fly German flags because they have German heritage? No. And why would you after your ancestors fleed the places? They basically renounced their citizenship to those places and yet generations later we get these malcontent dopes who barely understand Ciao calling their grandmothers nonna and as I said, wouldn't even exist without America. If America didn't exist neither would they therefore they can't really call themselves a "son of Italy" or a "son of Ireland."

Do whatever you want I don't care. I don't have to like it and you don't have to care. I rub my beloved flag in their face as well as all Italians, Irish, Polish and Mexicans out there waving their little rags in our faces.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:17 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsta View Post
I don't care if they're loyal Americans or not. If they're truly loyal then they'd know what it means. Should British people fly German flags because they have German heritage? Should Italian people fly German flags because they have German heritage? No. And why would you after your ancestors fleed the places? They basically renounced their citizenship to those places and yet generations later we get these malcontent dopes who barely understand Ciao calling their grandmothers nonna and as I said, wouldn't even exist without America. If America didn't exist neither would they therefore they can't really call themselves a "son of Italy" or a "son of Ireland."

Do whatever you want I don't care. I don't have to like it and you don't have to care. I rub my beloved flag in their face as well as all Italians, Irish, Polish and Mexicans out there waving their little rags in our faces.
if those people are still connected to their heritage and celebrate the traditions, sure.
wait nevermind.. MERICA.. BALD EAGLE. THEY TOOK ARRR JERBS

Old 03-13-2013, 06:00 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
I think Southern Europeans and those from countries in which Romance languages are spoken(France, Italy, Spain, Portugal) in general have darker raven hair and swarthy skin, which doesn't reflect the typical look of Northern Europeans. Technically speaking, Italians, French, Spaniards and Portugesan, are all Latinos, since their langues are primarily derived from Latin(Rome, and all that). All those Romance languages are very similar. There are folks who's families have been in America 70+ years and still consider themselves proud Italians and still cook the food of their ancestors. There aren't alot of White Southerners I know that practice playing the bagpipes or do river-dancing despite the huge Scotts-Irish origins of Whites down here.

If you look at all the US cities influenced by those countries, you'll see they all carry similar architecture. Ever notice how similar mediterranean revival and Spanish Revival are? French is a little diffirent, but in general they all have similar stylings. But even in their diffirence with Northern Europe, we still consider them to be WHITE. It seems like what was considered white began to expand with European exploration, enslavement, and conolization of Africa. It was like "THESE folks are BLACK. From here on out, if you're lighter than this sand on the ground, then you're WHITE". In a state like Louisiana which has received alot of Italian migration in the earlier centuries, I bet it gets even more confusing, as Louisian Creoles and Creole culture is a mixture of so many Southern European identities, and in many cases Africa is included in that mix.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:29 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,430,555 times
I don't really identify with my (less than 50%) Italian-American heritage. Always felt closer to my mom's (Ukrainian) side of the family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I see this more strongly in NY, than I do here in North East PA, where most of the Italian Americans seem to be from the North and are moderate to fair in their complexions, and lower in their numbers. They are less clannish (for lack of a better word) and less "ethnic."
Like most East Coast Italian-Americans who moved to the US before the 1920s or so, most in NE PA's Italian-American community are descended from Southern Italians. My ancestors were from Campania and lived in Hazleton.

Last edited by snj90; 03-13-2013 at 08:38 PM..

Old 03-13-2013, 08:35 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
The Italians that are family to me.....yes. The Italians here in Cleveland thus far......no.

So I'm sure it depends.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:28 AM

231 posts, read 332,934 times
I remember when i first went to NY one of the things that really stood out was how different the Italians were compared where i am from in Australia, its kinda hard to explain but the majority i came across were just so far removed from anything remotely authentic Italian, it was like a mainstream sort of Italian, the majority of them were baseball fanatics that hate soccer which just seems so un-italian lol....coming from the other side of the world it was just a weird experience.

On the flip side i got to hang out with a lot of Greeks (my heritage) and they were almost identical to the ones here in Australia, everyone i came across in and around Astoria could speak better Greek than me!

Old 03-14-2013, 09:15 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
If you look at all the US cities influenced by those countries, you'll see they all carry similar architecture. Ever notice how similar mediterranean revival and Spanish Revival are? French is a little diffirent, but in general they all have similar stylings.
I don't know, New York and Boston and Philadelphia were pretty influenced by Italian immigrants but the architecture for the most part wasn't. A lot of the Spanish revival architecture in the US was started in around 1915-1930 by a fairly Anglo set of architecture for upper class clients set on caputuring a sense of an imagined past--just like Mediterranean revival architecture in Florida was in the late 19th Century with the grand hotels of that period.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:47 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I don't know, New York and Boston and Philadelphia were pretty influenced by Italian immigrants but the architecture for the most part wasn't. A lot of the Spanish revival architecture in the US was started in around 1915-1930 by a fairly Anglo set of architecture for upper class clients set on caputuring a sense of an imagined past--just like Mediterranean revival architecture in Florida was in the late 19th Century with the grand hotels of that period.
Through in Boston as well

All three had large Italian (and Irish) influences

Old 03-14-2013, 02:42 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Yeah, alot of the revialism was marketing in the form of "Exotic Latin/European" areas of CA and Florida. But alot of the core elements(red-tile roofs) carry a similar design and aesthetic to what you'd find in the old country. If you look at all of the older missions in the Southwest and Florida from the 1700's you'll see a similar(well, relatively speaking) design.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.