Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 08:13 AM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
Here's a "strange but true" fact: Alabama-- a state known for it's rural Southern lifestyle-- actually contains as many Metropolitan Statistical Areas (or portions of MSA's) as New York or Illinois. Who knew???

There are currently 366 recognized MSA's in the fifty United States. Here are the total number of MSA's, or portions of MSA's, found in each state:

California- 27
Texas- 25
Florida- 19
Indiana, North Carolina, and Ohio- 16
Georgia, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin- 15
Alabama, Illinois, New York, Washington- 12
Virginia- 11
South Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia- 10
Iowa, Kentucky, Missouri- 9
Arkansas, Louisiana, Minnesota- 8
Colorado, New Jersey- 7
Arizona, Idaho, Kansas, Maryland, Massachusetts, Oregon- 6
Mississippi, Utah- 5
Connecticut, New Mexico, Oklahoma- 4
Maine, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, South Dakota- 3
Alaska, Delaware, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Wyoming- 2
Hawaii, Rhode Island, Vermont- 1 (DC obviously has 1 also.)

Any other surprises from this list?
I'm not suprised at all.

Southern states like Alabama may have a lot of MSAs, but they are mostly on the small side. Of around 100,000 people or so. Where they are small enough, where one can easily live in a rural area within commutable distance of the small city.

Illinois and New York, have one HUGE MSA each, but both the rest of Illinois and New York are comparitvely rural.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 06:23 PM

43 posts, read 72,009 times
I would of thought Alaska had 3 since there's Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Juneau.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:46 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,309 times
The number of counties in the state also effect the number MSA's. Obviously the bigger and lower number of counties equal fewer MSA's.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:26 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,583,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I'm not suprised at all.

Southern states like Alabama may have a lot of MSAs, but they are mostly on the small side. Of around 100,000 people or so. Where they are small enough, where one can easily live in a rural area within commutable distance of the small city.

Illinois and New York, have one HUGE MSA each, but both the rest of Illinois and New York are comparitvely rural.
No Tex, Buffalo/Niagara, Rochester, Syracuse, Albany/Schenectady Troy are not rural at all, and none are "commuting distance" to any other larger city.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:28 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,583,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
The number of counties in the state also effect the number MSA's. Obviously the bigger and lower number of counties equal fewer MSA's.
EXACTLY! Of course the largest states in land area would tend to have more MSAs. The little states of RI and NJ are the most urban in the country, but they also have some of the fewest MSAs.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:33 PM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
No Tex, Buffalo/Niagara, Rochester, Syracuse, Albany/Schenectady Troy are not rural at all, and none are "commuting distance" to any other larger city.
Obviously those are cities, what I was saying is that compared to the states associated with hyper-urban New York City, much of the state is more rural than people would expect, so it would be no suprise that the # of MSAs is an average number.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:49 PM

4,364 posts, read 4,562,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renner20 View Post
I would of thought Alaska had 3 since there's Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Juneau.
I'll have to check, but I don't think Juneau is an official MSA. I think it's categorized as a city\borough.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:49 PM

43 posts, read 72,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
I'll have to check, but I don't think Juneau is an official MSA. I think it's categorized as a city\borough.
Oh ok. I thought it would of been big enough to be a MSA (at least big enough for Alaska) but then again maybe not.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:53 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,305,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I don't think he was stating those areas were rural. But that outside of the major metro areas in IL and NY, the state is largely rural.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:38 PM

160 posts, read 397,767 times
Lifelong Wisconsin resident, total geography nerd, and even I'm a little surprised that Wisconsin has 15... although two of them are basically just Minnesota MSAs spilling across the border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.