Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which do you prefer?
ozarks 21 53.85%
porcupine mountains 18 46.15%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 03:58 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I think the average person doesn't really care about what's manmade and what isn't when it comes to lakes. The Lake of the Ozarks is an excellent vacation resort and it's not manmade. You can enjoy all the amenities on there that you can on a natural lake.
The Lake of the Ozarks is a reservoir; therefore a manmade feature. In its natural form it would be a wide river.

I do need to visit the Eagle River, WI chain of lakes in WI this year, though.

Get on google maps and do a satellite imagery tour and street view tour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 05:56 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,190,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Table Rock has NOTHING in common with a naturally occurring oligotrophic lake in the Northwoods. Take a trip to northern Minnesota, Wisconsin, or Michigan and write back on the topic.
I didn't say tabletock had anything in common with those lakes. I said its clear water. You have made your point about reservoirs. I dont care which you prefer. that's why I made the thread. However your partiality toward natural lakes is causing you to ignore an obvious fact. Tablerock lake is clear water. I'll acknowledge that most water isn't that clear in the region, that's why I like tablerock.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:56 PM

350 posts, read 740,633 times
Quote:
Table Rock has NOTHING in common with a naturally occurring oligotrophic lake in the Northwoods. Take a trip to northern Minnesota, Wisconsin, or Michigan and write back on the topic.
Wow perhaps a little strong worded! I would prefer the Porcupines in the summer even though I've only been to the UP a couple of times because I hate the summer heat in the Midwest! Summer along Lake Superior with plenty of 70 degree days to me sounds perfect! The Rockies are a lot closer to me than the Northwoods so usually I go out to Colorado to cool off. However winter and cold temperatures come way too early to the Northwoods and the winters to me would be too intense. So for the rest of the year I vote the Ozarks.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:20 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Both areas are quite similar as far as the rolling rocky landscape, but most people have never seen the northwoods of Michgian. Many many more people have seen the Ozarks and they are much easier to visit. The porcupines and the entire high country of western upper Michigan are way off the beaten track, and require alot of effort to visit if you do not already live in the upper midwest. The Ozarks really just require an easy exit from I-40 to see them. Other than the fact that the porkies are in lake country and the ozarks are not, the two areas are quite similar in appearance. Both are well worth a visit, its just going to take more effort to reach remote Michigan than it will to visit Arkansas.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knrstz View Post
I didn't say tabletock had anything in common with those lakes. I said its clear water. You have made your point about reservoirs. I dont care which you prefer. that's why I made the thread. However your partiality toward natural lakes is causing you to ignore an obvious fact. Tablerock lake is clear water. I'll acknowledge that most water isn't that clear in the region, that's why I like tablerock.
Fair enough. Table Rock is not too bad overall.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
Wow perhaps a little strong worded! I would prefer the Porcupines in the summer even though I've only been to the UP a couple of times because I hate the summer heat in the Midwest! Summer along Lake Superior with plenty of 70 degree days to me sounds perfect! The Rockies are a lot closer to me than the Northwoods so usually I go out to Colorado to cool off. However winter and cold temperatures come way too early to the Northwoods and the winters to me would be too intense. So for the rest of the year I vote the Ozarks.
I study fens and bogs as a hobbyist and a great area that I like exploring is the St. Louis County area of Minnesota. It can get pretty remote in terms of access and trails, though.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Both areas are quite similar as far as the rolling rocky landscape, but most people have never seen the northwoods of Michgian. Many many more people have seen the Ozarks and they are much easier to visit. The porcupines and the entire high country of western upper Michigan are way off the beaten track, and require alot of effort to visit if you do not already live in the upper midwest. The Ozarks really just require an easy exit from I-40 to see them. Other than the fact that the porkies are in lake country and the ozarks are not, the two areas are quite similar in appearance. Both are well worth a visit, its just going to take more effort to reach remote Michigan than it will to visit Arkansas.
Agreed. Many areas of Michigan do take some extra traveling to get to, but are well worth the drive. One area that is particularly remote is Iron County and southern Marquette County. It is mostly all woods roads with some very poorly marked state and county roads that are in mediocre condition at best. I'm sure people from bigger cities would feel more uncomfortable driving out on many of those roads. Class VI roads don't phase me that much because I know what to expect and the limits of my vehicle.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:32 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I think the average person doesn't really care about what's manmade and what isn't when it comes to lakes. The Lake of the Ozarks is an excellent vacation resort and it's not manmade.
Yes it is, it is the dammed-up Osage River. Calvin Trillin, a native Missourian who wrote for the New Yorker, once remarked that as a Missourian, he once believed that all lakes are "creations of the US Army Corps of Engineers".

Old 06-12-2012, 06:35 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Been to both, enjoyed both, but for me, the Porkies are the runaway winner.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:12 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,094,873 times
Quote:
The Lake of the Ozarks is a reservoir; therefore a manmade feature. In its natural form it would be a wide river.

I do need to visit the Eagle River, WI chain of lakes in WI this year, though.

Get on google maps and do a satellite imagery tour and street view tour.
Look, don't get all antsy. I was simply saying that man-made or not, the Lake of the Ozarks is a fun place to visit. You can waterski, fish, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.