U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 10:01 AM

374 posts, read 684,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
There are parts of the Ozarks where the music is VERY different.
My family has been in the area since 1699.
Missouri Old Time Fiddling Traditions

"Missouri Waltz" is one of my favorite songs.
I should've added that I could only speak for the southern portion of the Ozarks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 10:04 AM

23,440 posts, read 31,711,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark90 View Post
"Missouri Waltz" is one of my favorite songs.
I should've added that I could only speak for the southern portion of the Ozarks.
The northern part of the Ozarks is known for French style fiddling, I grew up with it.
My grandfather was quite a fiddler from the southern Ozarks, he was fascinated when he discovered the northern Ozark style.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:05 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,352,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
There can be quite a bit of sub-regional differences between, say, Cape and Poplar Bluff as far as accents and the use of words and colloquialisms.

This is an excellent map of regional accents.
Thanks kshe95girl. I was just wondering whether the Ozark accent was similar to the typical accent of southern Missouri as a whole, which I assume is like Arkansas. Give that so much of southern Missouri is in the Ozark region, for instance Branson, I would assume they'd be almost synonymous, rather than there being a distinct 'Ozark accent' but I could be wrong.

Given your familiarity with Ozark culture do you see any major differences to Appalachian, particularly the southern Appalachian culture?

Old 06-12-2012, 10:07 AM

374 posts, read 684,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Thanks kshe95girl. I was just wondering whether the Ozark accent was similar to the typical accent of southern Missouri as a whole, which I assume is like Arkansas. Give that so much of southern Missouri is in the Ozark region, for instance Branson, I would assume they'd be almost synonymous, rather than there being a distinct 'Ozark accent' but I could be wrong.

Given your familiarity with Ozark culture do you see any major differences to Appalachian, particularly the southern Appalachian culture?
You're not gonna hear the same accent in Little Rock as you do in Springfield. Most of Arkansas has a verydifferent accent than southern Missouri.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:

You know, thats a really interesting question.
I've spent quite a bit of time in eastern KY, my husbands family is from there.
The food isnt the same as far as techniques and how ingredients are used, even though the ingredients in a particular dish may be almost identical.
In the far northern part of the Ozarks, there is still a lot of French/German influence that can be felt to this day, it even influences language.
There really are regional differences in dialect just withing the Ozarks, not to mention the Appalachians, gonna see if I can find some good examples on youtube to post.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:42 PM

2,081 posts, read 2,897,764 times
Quote:

Well first off the Bootheel region of Missouri doesn't really have any sort of mountain dialect. It has more in common with what is spoken in the Mississippi Delta.

As for the Ozarks, there are a handful of different variations to the Ozark dialect. I've heard several but I'm not so sure that I have enough experience to know which variations come from where. There is a difference between the Ozarks and the Appalachians when it comes to the dialect. There are smaller, but notable differences between the two when it comes to culture.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Well first off the Bootheel region of Missouri doesn't really have any sort of mountain dialect. It has more in common with what is spoken in the Mississippi Delta.

As for the Ozarks, there are a handful of different variations to the Ozark dialect. I've heard several but I'm not so sure that I have enough experience to know which variations come from where. There is a difference between the Ozarks and the Appalachians when it comes to the dialect. There are smaller, but notable differences between the two when it comes to culture.
I couldnt find any really good youtube vids to post to show the different Ozark dialects.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:16 PM

5,835 posts, read 10,779,975 times
While I really don't know as much about the actual cultural differences, the physical landscape/geology/nature definitely has some major differences.

#1. The Ozarks being on the edge of the deciduous forests with less moisture/precip and closer to the Great Plains there is less biological diversity in the Ozarks than in the Appalachians. Ozarks are primarily Oak-hickory forests, which are adapted to a bit drier conditions, than the more rich forests of the Appalachians where one find much more maple, beech, ash, hemlock, etc. There are more sp. of oaks in the Appalachians than one can count. Although the Ozarks forests are still just as beautiful.

#2. Although you have huge layers of limestone bedrock, with many, many caves, the Ozark plateau really doesn't have much coal, so you never got the huge coal mining culture. Although in the higher peaks directly an hour or so south of STL, you do have one of the largest lead mining districts amongst the outcrops of granite there. So, that is a major difference.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:13 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,352,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
While I really don't know as much about the actual cultural differences, the physical landscape/geology/nature definitely has some major differences.

#1. The Ozarks being on the edge of the deciduous forests with less moisture/precip and closer to the Great Plains there is less biological diversity in the Ozarks than in the Appalachians. Ozarks are primarily Oak-hickory forests, which are adapted to a bit drier conditions, than the more rich forests of the Appalachians where one find much more maple, beech, ash, hemlock, etc. There are more sp. of oaks in the Appalachians than one can count. Although the Ozarks forests are still just as beautiful.

#2. Although you have huge layers of limestone bedrock, with many, many caves, the Ozark plateau really doesn't have much coal, so you never got the huge coal mining culture. Although in the higher peaks directly an hour or so south of STL, you do have one of the largest lead mining districts amongst the outcrops of granite there. So, that is a major difference.
Thanks, very interesting.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:43 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,226,540 times
I can definitely say that the Appalachians have very fertile soil compared to the Ozarks. Eastern Tennessee has a lot of cropland compared to southern Missouri.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or