U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-12-2012, 01:49 AM

24,693 posts, read 18,024,668 times
Default Is Ozark culture very similar to Appalachian culture?

How similar are the cultures from these two mountainous regions, often associated with folky/bluegrass type music, weird independent churches, and of course, the stereotypical log-cabin dwelling, hog-raising, shotgun-toting 'hillbillies'.

Of course their accents sound similar, to me at least...are there any noticeable differences? Is the Ozark accent similar to an Okie or Northern Texas accent? Does it differ appreciably from the 'Cape' of Missouri? Would Branson be a good representative of the accent? Of course Arkansas has a pretty strong mid-west-southern type accent.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 07:54 AM

229 posts, read 172,720 times
Early settlers were English, Scots/Scotch-Irish and Germans from Appalachia so it's obvious they both share similar culture and traditions but I think the Ozark has maybe more Native American influence, especially in Oklahoma.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:57 AM

Btw anyone seem the film 'Winter's Bone?' It was a pretty good look into life in a rather economically depressed community deep in the Ozarks. Many in the films were actual locals just playing themselves.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:38 AM

23,444 posts, read 17,159,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
How similar are the cultures from these two mountainous regions, often associated with folky/bluegrass type music, weird independent churches, and of course, the stereotypical log-cabin dwelling, hog-raising, shotgun-toting 'hillbillies'.

Of course their accents sound similar, to me at least...are there any noticeable differences? Is the Ozark accent similar to an Okie or Northern Texas accent? Does it differ appreciably from the 'Cape' of Missouri? Would Branson be a good representative of the accent? Of course Arkansas has a pretty strong mid-west-southern type accent.
Are you referring to Cape Girardeau?
Cape isnt in the Ozarks, its in the Mississippi River Hills region/Bootheel.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:43 AM

161 posts, read 165,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Are you referring to Cape Girardeau?
Cape isnt in the Ozarks, its in the Mississippi River Hills region/Bootheel.
Right, and he's asking if the accents are similar between the two places.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:54 AM

372 posts, read 330,541 times
First off, my family has lived in the Ozarks since the 1850's, so I feel like somewhat of an expert on Ozark culture. The Ozark accent is, to me, a mixture of the East Texas and the East Tennessee accents. Arkansas has a stronger Southern twang than Missouri or Oklahoma, but overall the accent is pretty similar. But The Ozark culture is basically a Western version of Appalachia. Hillbilly meets cowboy. The music is very similar (the Ozark Folk Center advertises "Southern Folk & Bluegrass"). The central Ozarks were perhaps a little more pro-Confederate during the Civil War than the Appalachians (although it was very sparsely populated at the time), but overall I see the Ozarks as far west Appalachia. Most of the settlers were from places like Tennessee, Kentucky, Virginia, North Carolina, north Georgia, ect. I think one of the only differences I can see is that there is a strong tradition of raising beef cattle in North Central Arkansas/Southern Missouri that maybe contributes to the Western character of the Ozarks.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by argot View Post
Right, and he's asking if the accents are similar between the two places.
I'm still trying to work out why anyone would think Cape is in the Ozarks.

Accents are a whole nother ball game....

Old 06-12-2012, 09:56 AM

^ as argot said, I was asking how the Ozark accent compared to the typical accent you'd find around the Cape Girardeau Co. and bootheel of Missouri. I didn't say it was in the Ozarks.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark90 View Post
First off, my family has lived in the Ozarks since the 1850's, so I feel like somewhat of an expert on Ozark culture. The Ozark accent is, to me, a mixture of the East Texas and the East Tennessee accents. Arkansas has a stronger Southern twang than Missouri or Oklahoma, but overall the accent is pretty similar. But The Ozark culture is basically a Western version of Appalachia. Hillbilly meets cowboy. The music is very similar (the Ozark Folk Center advertises "Southern Folk & Bluegrass"). The central Ozarks were perhaps a little more pro-Confederate during the Civil War than the Appalachians (although it was very sparsely populated at the time), but overall I see the Ozarks as far west Appalachia. Most of the settlers were from places like Tennessee, Kentucky, Virginia, North Carolina, north Georgia, ect. I think one of the only differences I can see is that there is a strong tradition of raising beef cattle in North Central Arkansas/Southern Missouri that maybe contributes to the Western character of the Ozarks.
There are parts of the Ozarks where the music is VERY different.
My family has been in the area since 1699.
Missouri Old Time Fiddling Traditions

Old 06-12-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
^ as argot said, I was asking how the Ozark accent compared to the typical accent you'd find around the Cape Girardeau Co. and bootheel of Missouri. I didn't say it was in the Ozarks.
There can be quite a bit of sub-regional differences between, say, Cape and Poplar Bluff as far as accents and the use of words and colloquialisms.

This is an excellent map of regional accents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.