U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Cascadian state/province would you liev in?
Oregon 10 18.18%
Washington 23 41.82%
British Columbia 22 40.00%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 08:28 PM

1,328 posts, read 2,648,355 times

Advertisements

Given the choice? I live in Oregon and I am going to move to BC as long as I can successfully get past the red tape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 09:33 PM

67 posts, read 137,223 times
This is a difficult poll. If I was from Canada, then BC (which is what I voted). However, as I am not Canadian, it would be Washington (western), since I think it's too much of a hassle to switch countries.

It's obviously not Oregon, though. That state is dominated by Portland, and, while I think that's a very, very pretty place, it's way too hippy for my tastes.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:06 AM

17,225 posts, read 19,525,937 times
Washington, because of Seattle.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:49 PM

384 posts, read 617,855 times
BC probably. All beautiful places but I like the idea of Vancouver.

Weather's awful in all 3.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:09 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,607,998 times
I wouldn't mind living in Bellingham, Washington. You're close to both Vancouver and Seattle, plus you've got access to the San Juan islands and Mount Baker nearby.

Other than that, I could live happily in Vancouver BC or Seattle, but I live in Portland right now and I'm content there for the time being.

Washington has the best all round mix though. BC has the best interior--there's a ton of mountain ranges that stretch all the way to the Alberta border. Though the weather on the coast is always worse than even what I get in much of Washington and Oregon. Oregon has the most laidback towns once you get outside of Portland. I think Oregon has the best coastline as well--and I like the interior valleys especially wine country around McMinnville or Hood River.

Last edited by Deezus; 06-14-2012 at 02:23 PM..

Old 06-14-2012, 02:22 PM

199 posts, read 372,600 times
I think Portland is the best city in the NW. In Portland you get at least some, hot sunny days in the summer.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:58 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,789,347 times
It's a tie among all those places. The PNW/Cascadia is absolutely beautiful.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:45 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,600,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Given the choice? I live in Oregon and I am going to move to BC as long as I can successfully get past the red tape.
I went through this exact same mental process upon seeing Vancouver the first few times and then my interest waned. I then thought about it again, but to move to Montreal instead. I realized that the beauty of Vancouver reeled me in, but that I felt immensely more comfortable in Montreal.

As for this poll, it would be Washington. I think the "personalities" of these places are essentially the same, so I picked on logistics...metro Seattle would be in the middle of the swath.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:59 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,513,703 times
Well Oregon is my home and I love it with all my heart, but Seattle and Vancouver are both amazing cosmopolitan cities with a Manhattan-like downtown and much more than any city in Oregon has.
So it's tough. Personally, I love the Northwest in general, anywhere up there would be home-y enough for me.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:09 PM

5,767 posts, read 10,298,468 times
The main downside to settling in BC is that real estate prices are much higher than in either Washington or Oregon. There are affordable and even cheap places to live in BC, but they tend to be areas where not a lot of people are relocating to begin with (Prince George is one example). Basically, anything south of the Whistler-Kamloops-Revelstoke axis will not be cheap, nor most parts of Vancouver island. The Vancouver metro area's average residential real estate price is something like $650,000, and over a million within Vancouver's city limits. The provincial average is over $350,000 as I recall.

You can see some of the effects of this on the US side of the border as well. The town of Blaine, Washington is the last stop before the main border crossing south of Vancouver. It used to be a decent but slightly hardscrabble little town. Now, with spillover money from the Vancouver boom, it is full of pricey homes, little boutique businesses, and part-timers who spend part of the summer there before going elsewhere for winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or