Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 09:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,219 times

Advertisements

Jades and Roses;
I'm in the same boat you are (sort of)... I currently live in Colorado, have for the better part of 10 years (two of which I spent in CA, was not impressed.) I'm looking to move as well, I have two young children, and I want the best possible opportunities for them. I've actually been highly considering Connecticut, as well as North Carolina. If you find the perfect place please let me know! I'm looking for a great school system, and low crime rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 01:17 PM

93,196 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collinsm View Post
Jades and Roses;
I'm in the same boat you are (sort of)... I currently live in Colorado, have for the better part of 10 years (two of which I spent in CA, was not impressed.) I'm looking to move as well, I have two young children, and I want the best possible opportunities for them. I've actually been highly considering Connecticut, as well as North Carolina. If you find the perfect place please let me know! I'm looking for a great school system, and low crime rate.
2011 Upstate school district rankings - Buffalo - Business First

What is interesting is that many of the districts in the middle and even in the lower portion are still good school districts in very nice and safe areas.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:37 PM

17,706 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Two, two mints in one

Singapore.
It is a city.
It is a country.
You won't need a car. (You could not afford one anyway.)
Diverse population.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:04 AM

47 posts, read 229,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Singapore.
It is a city.
It is a country.
Diverse population.

Thanks I have been considering international cities as well.

Old 06-23-2012, 02:03 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Singapore.
It is a city.
It is a country.
Diverse population.
just 1 big problem. its a pain in the @ss to get a visa to other countries depending on their immigration policy. Plus their economy isnt as big as the US so there might be more job competition.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:12 PM

40 posts, read 114,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadesandRoses View Post
Hello Everyone,

Well I am officially done with CA. It's time to leave and quick. Just to give you a quick run down. I am from Colorado, born and raised, I moved to Santa Monica, CA six years ago with a quick stint in Henderson, Nevada which I loved but the unbearable heat sent me flying back to CA. Only two months after moving back to CA I realized I'm done with it and the economy is steadily going downhill all the more reason to get out. So I am on the search, again, for a city that could offer all the amenities and quality of life I seek. I am hoping to get advice from people who have lived all over the USA or in the particular cities I have compiled a list of. I am looking for a diverse city with low crime, with great education both public and private and both K-12 and college level, with big city amenities without the big city. I am done with big cities the headache of traffic, pollution and astronomical rent and astronomical priced homes for sale. I would love a city that is in touch with nature, has running trails, parks and also is "green". Although I will have a vehicle I would prefer to use public transportation so a city that has a fantastic transportation system would be ideal. I would love to live in a state that offers fantastic opportunities for people of all ages. I have usually lived just outside most major cities and a suburb is fine but not a requirement. I do want a city that is ethnically diverse but not ignorant like Los Angeles. A city with highly educated people is very important to me.

My List:

1.) Portland, Oregon

2.) Vancouver, WA

3.) Cambridge, MA

4.) Wilton, MA

5.) Portland, Maine

6.) Lexington, KY

7.) Albuquerque, NM

8.) Honolulu, Hawaii

9.) Anchorage, Alaska

I need to make a decision of where I want to live very soon. I can live just about anywhere. Job is not a problem but a city with job opportunities would be ideal and also housing will not be an issue either. If there's a city not on this list by all means please pm me or let me know. Like I said I am sure there are plenty of people who have lived in many cities on both coasts that could give me advice. Also weather isn't an issue I have lived in all types of weather.

Thank you in advance.
I think your #1 city is perfect- Portland Oregon! It has everything you want, if you can take the rain

Old 06-30-2012, 04:57 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,099,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadesandRoses View Post
Minneapolis? And here I was thinking Detroit, Minneapolis, Chicago and Oakland have incredibly high crime rates but what do I know? I really don't want to move to a city with a lot of problems. I haven't been to any of the cities on my list yet but will be taking a road trip this summer. I need to live in a progressive city, educated and focused on the future and a city that is well maintained.
The crime in Chicago is in isolated areas South and West sides.
The vast majority of Chicago is a safe place.

It is in its poor, gang ridden areas your hearing about.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:54 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,770,817 times
Your current list looks great but your description is as if you want something more simple and smaller. Two cities I can currently think of is Burlington, Vt and Boise, Id. Both are simple and green as you describe.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:57 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
The best and only place for you, Jades, is Madison WI.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:37 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,191,211 times
Iowa City/Des Moines/Minneapolis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.