Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 08:49 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times

Advertisements

I will never move back to New England due to many things but especially the cost of living. I didn't find a big savings living in Fort Myers, either.

Jobs? Ha! Southwest Florida is definitely better than it was the past few years but it is still tough to find a job. Manufacturing? In Southwest Florida? That's a joke. It's service-centered jobs for tourists and retirees. Knoxville, on the other hand, has the lowest unemployment rate of the largest MSAs in Tennessee. It's also light years better than Florida. The rate is currently 5.7 for Knox County. Bear in mind that the pay will be much less here, for the most part. Cost of living is far better, though.

But don't move to Knoxville because of the cost of living. This area is a way of life. The people are welcoming and polite. People stop and chat. We let folks out into traffic. If you are impatient, unfriendly and rude, please don't come here. I had enough of that in Florida, thank you. I'm not saying that you are but word is getting out about our area. Nice folks stay and love it. Rude ones move away, whining about bagels and slow drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 09:09 PM

159 posts, read 346,045 times
Thank you for the post.. That's exactly what I'm looking for.. I had enough of the rude people up here in nj..taxes are insane, no jobs anymore, state is broke.. Self employed people like myself it gets harder every year to keep up with the bills up here..between health insurance, property taxes, income taxes, nj is incredible expensive. Plus I'm really worried about raising kids up here..all these kids are now so liberal, clueless, entitlement attitudes, no family values.. I find it all very depressing.

funny you mention fort myers.. That was one of the places I was considering.
Sarasota, fl also.

Can you give more details on how the Knoxville area compares to Florida?

How does knoxville compare to the rest of tn and especially Chattanooga?

Old 06-17-2012, 09:14 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downthrust View Post
My wife and I (young thirties), are looking to move out of northern nj having lived here our entire lives. She is a nurse, I'm self employed mechanical engineer (work with a lot of small machine shops).

We have been looking a lot at the West coast of Florida, by Sarasota and Tampa.

We are into the outdoors, hiking, fishing, good weather, nice people and most importantly good family values. We are more of republican conservative mindsets, and up here by nyc it's incredible how liberal everybody has become.

Besides that the taxes, insurance, health care, etc are so expensive here in nj. So we are looking at living where our money goes further.

Any comparisons between tn, Florida, and nj are greatly appreciated!
If you like hiking and outdoors, Florida's not the place to be. TN would be better I think, although I've never been there. Just keep in mind that it may be cheaper, but there are less jobs and more uneducated people than you'll ever imagine, especially since you're from NJ (I am from NY).

Sarasota is for older people in my opinion (lived there for a little bit before moving back to NY). Southern states just don't do it for me. People say I'm too much of a New Yorker to be anywhere else.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:50 PM

Here's the beauty of living here...Pompous, ignorant people that stereotype stay the heck out of East Tennessee due to their misconceptions. I love it when someone ASSUMES that there are more uneducated people in an area, even though they've never been there. I guess too many reruns of "Hee Haw" and "Beverly Hillbillies" have permeated their judgement. It simply makes my heart sing.

Here's what I know, downthrust. I was a newspaper reporter up north for many years. I was intimately involved with local governments and the educational system. I also raised most of my children up there. They attended Mass. and Conn. schools.

I moved to Florida, got remarried and had another child. I have never seen so many uneducated, rude and ignorant people in my life like I saw in Florida. And by the way, Florida is decidedly NOT Southern. It is a dumping ground for the disgruntled, the criminally wanted, the depraved and the bargain-basement senior willing to run over their 95-year-old mother to get first in line at the next early bird special. You can have it. It's also full of unruly kids being raised by parents that thought living in Florida was the height of luxury and school systems be damned. Oh, I could go on but I won't. Suffice to say that after five weeks of my daughter attending Fort Myers' schools, I yanked her out and headed to Knoxville.

I was itching to go after extensive research, anyway. This city has the perfect mix of cost of living, employment opportunities, weather and people and after seven years I am here to tell you that it was the smartest thing I've ever done.

Uneducated, huh? I'd put Knoxville schools up against many Mass. schools and all of Florida schools. Period. The populace is very educated. In fact, the flagship University of Tennessee sits on the banks of the Tennessee here in Knoxville. It is a college town but has a great mix of all ages and people. Next door is The Oak Ridge National Laboratory of Manhattan Project fame. We have an incredible amount of scientists and PhDs that work in this corridor.

And as mentioned, we have fabulous outdoor activities within the city - now about 60 miles of greenways, alone - and the Great Smoky National Park not far away. Heck, if you like a quieter playground, the Cumberland Mountains are to the west of us as well. We are surrounded by beauty.

Bear in mind, though, that this is a very small city. However, our downtown core was recently lovingly restored, mostly through private money as only a Libertarian city can and I say that as a left-leaning moderate. It is not New York City, though. The feel is more like a very large town although there is plenty to do.

I'm getting long-winded but I will briefly tell you that I seriously considered Chattanooga for relocation as well. It is a pretty city with a wonderful aquarium and riverfront. However, I don't care for the schools as much, nor the vibe.

But let me say one quick thing about New Yorkers. Half my family is from or in New York. Heck, my dad was born in the Bronx. Northeasterners are more than welcome to relocate here. But as I said, the pompous need not enter Knoxville city limits. If you think New York is the end all and be all, well, super. Better for all of us if you don't relocate.

But downthrust, you may fit in well here. You should come and visit!

Old 06-18-2012, 02:11 PM

138 posts, read 232,319 times
I have lived in MI, Naples, Knoxville and Chattanooga. I would take TN any day over FL. Florida is hot, humid, sticky, 8 months out of the year (in my opinion). If you like living in AC and sweating (most every you get in the car), then Florida is for you. Both Knoxville and Chattanooga are lovely areas and we get four seasons. Presently, we live in Chattanooga and love it.

Last edited by JMT; 06-18-2012 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: Corrected spelling of Chattanooga

Old 06-18-2012, 04:06 PM

Great posts, thanks for the info!

Being you all have lived in various places, can you give more specific comparisons of city to city inside tn?

Old 06-18-2012, 04:46 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downthrust View Post
Great posts, thanks for the info!

Being you all have lived in various places, can you give more specific comparisons of city to city inside tn?
What sort of criteria do you want the comparisons to be on? And which cities? Are you talking about just Knoxville and Chattanooga, or also including Memphis and Nashville? Do you only want info on the major metros, or do you want to know something about the smaller cities like the Tri Cities, Jackson, Clarksville, Cookeville, etc?

Each area has its advantages and disadvantages. There is quite a bit of variety from end to end. From the Appalachian culture of the mountainous areas of East Tennessee to the Deep South culture in the Gulf Coastal Plain in West Tennessee, and a mix of everything in between.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:37 PM

Downthrust, I'd also peruse the Tennessee boards. There is a plethora of information there.

Ultimately, my decision to move to Knoxville was based on employment opportunities. That was back in 2005 and although Chattanooga has since opened a VW plant, it still trails Knoxville and some areas of Nashville as well in unemployment stats. I like the schools in Knoxville much more than Nashville and Chattanooga and CERTAINLY Memphis (not to mention that Memphis is a crime-ridden cesspool). Generally, they get very high marks. Oak Ridge and Maryville City Schools are good as well. For years, New York and the northeast region rested on its laurels and Tennessee is leaving them in the dust in countless ways. The state raised the bar on school performance, too, one of the reasons they were the first to win The Race to the Top, a program that has won non-partisan accolades.

But you should take the time to read the forums and then take on a recon mission.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:51 PM

Going to plan a road trip there in a couple months. Staying in the eastern part of the state.. Are there any hotels that allow dogs?

Old 06-18-2012, 08:10 PM

I believe that the Crowne Plaza and Hilton downtown both accept pets. Also, the LaQuinta on North Peters Road in West Knoxville and the Residence Inn at Turkey Creek, Knoxville. That should give you a place to start although I am sure there are more. Check on the Chattanooga and Nashville forums to see if anyone knows about dog-friendly hotels as well.

By the way...

The City of Knoxville, Knox County, Young Williams Animal Shelter, the Knoxville News Sentinel, the University of Tennessee, and PetSafe® are working to make the Knoxville area recognized as the nation's Most Pet Friendly Community.

Knoxville is pretty darn amazing.

http://www.petfriendliestcommunity.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.