U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 01:17 AM

42 posts, read 52,689 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am a Chartered Accountant from India and my company is offering me a transfer to their office in US. I have the option to choose between New York, Boston and Dallas. I wanted to know which of these cities is better to live in considering cost of living, rentals, groceries and taxes.

My wife is a montessori teacher, one of the considerations in choosing the city is the availability of teaching jobs in each of the cities.

Any suggestions would be really helpful.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 01:32 AM

39 posts, read 63,650 times
Hi Subhodhlath! Congrats on your move to the US! Sounds like you recieved a promotion! Having lived in Boston and Dallas, I would definitely pick Dallas. It is much easier to make it there. Less expensive, easier to socialize. Texas is more kid friendly, I find. I also noticed a large Indian population there. Many of my fellow nurses were from India, and the community was very welcoming and inviting to newcomers. Housing is much less expensive there, and you will live better in Dallas than you will in Boston or NY, especially if work is offering you the same salary for each location. Not sure about the job for your wife, but with all the kids there, I don't think work for her would be a problem. I think the Montessouri school system has some sites on the internet to check out.
Good luck with your choice!

Old 06-19-2012, 03:13 AM

6,620 posts, read 11,662,662 times
Dallas is boring in my opinion. Boston's a decent city and all, but I'd choose NY if your salary is high enough. There is a never ending list of things to do and see.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:25 AM

13,403 posts, read 21,182,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subodhlath View Post
Hi,

I am a Chartered Accountant from India and my company is offering me a transfer to their office in US. I have the option to choose between New York, Boston and Dallas. I wanted to know which of these cities is better to live in considering cost of living, rentals, groceries and taxes.

My wife is a montessori teacher, one of the considerations in choosing the city is the availability of teaching jobs in each of the cities.

Any suggestions would be really helpful.

Thanks.
There are advantages to all of the cities listed. But given your criteria, Dallas is going to be the best choice out of all. Its far cheaper than the other two and the taxes are far lower. Dallas also has one of the fastest growing Indian communities in the US and has the 6th largest Indian community in the US. There are lots of Desi amenities as well including many Bollywood Theaters, chambers of commerce, an 24-hour radio station that plays Bollywood music and advertises specialty stores/events for the Indian community, many Hindu and Muslim houses of worship, and a never ending supply of markets and restaurants.

If youre really into nightlife and want nonstop action 24-7, then NYC would be the best fit. Its definitely the most interesting, but you will pay for it. NYC is extremely expensive and many times more so than Dallas. Boston is an awesome city and could be a good middle ground if you prefer the Northeast, but given your criteria, its not as good a fit as Dallas.

Hope that helps.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:04 AM

32,055 posts, read 32,950,797 times
If you want a city that has excellent public transportation 24/7 as well as access to basic amenities 24/7 then I suggest NYC. There is also a large Indian community in NYC which I believe is mainly concentrated in Jackson Heights in Queens. I am sure that the montessori system has some schools in NYC (but check via the internet for exact locations).

Old 06-19-2012, 04:56 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,433,244 times
Boston. It's smaller than NYC, cleaner, nicer people, simpler subway line. NYC is very cutthroat when it comes to working and making it... And it's hard to make it NYC. Everything is so expensive! Boston is amazing and this coming from a NYer. Good luck with whatever u choose.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:12 AM

42 posts, read 52,689 times
Thanks a lot guys for the prompt replies. I have been offered another option of Los Angeles also but I understand that California is a very expensive state to live in.... The salary that I would be getting would be in the range of 65-70K annually. Is that sufficient to cover daily expenses like rent, food and transport. Also while we are in the US we would like to explore the country also would the salary be enough for that?

The other consideration was in India the climate is generally hot, the winters are also mild while cities like NY and Boston would also have extreme winters. Should that also be something which would take time to adjust to or that is not too much of a problem?

Thanks for all the suggestions...

Old 06-20-2012, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subodhlath View Post
Thanks a lot guys for the prompt replies. I have been offered another option of Los Angeles also but I understand that California is a very expensive state to live in.... The salary that I would be getting would be in the range of 65-70K annually. Is that sufficient to cover daily expenses like rent, food and transport. Also while we are in the US we would like to explore the country also would the salary be enough for that?

The other consideration was in India the climate is generally hot, the winters are also mild while cities like NY and Boston would also have extreme winters. Should that also be something which would take time to adjust to or that is not too much of a problem?

Thanks for all the suggestions...
Given that your most important factors are cost of living, taxes groceries, and rentals, Dallas is the clear cut choice. There really isn't even a close second between Boston, NYC, or Los Angeles. 65-70k would allow you to live like a king in Dallas whereas in the others it would be much harder. With that salary, you could go on a monthly trip to different parts of the US and still spend less than living in NYC or LA.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:06 AM

Subodhlath, I did some cost of living comparrisons for you based on a cost of living calculator. It breaks down each city and how much you would spend on all the items in question. I used Dallas as the baseline since it is unqestionably the cheapest:

Dallas vs. New York:

$70,000 in Dallas is the same as $118,028 in New York

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Dallas vs. Boston:

$70,000 in Dallas is the same as $114,390 in Boston

Dallas vs. Los Angeles:

$70,000 in Dallas is the same as $109,194 in Los Angeles

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2018 at 04:40 AM..

Old 06-20-2012, 01:18 PM

780 posts, read 1,203,794 times
Dallas, and it's not even close. Use the money you save to take a vacation to NYC, LA, or Boston...they're all very interesting places to visit, but very expensive places to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or