Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 06:17 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,738,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4800orbust View Post
Greetings All!
We want a city that isn't full of the same kind. We want more diversity, more culture and more variety. Also, as always - some place affordable and relatively clean. So far our list consists of:

Altanta, GA
St. Louis, MS
Portland, OR
Baltimore/DC area
San Antonio, TX

mere&rosa
You say you don't want a big city but all of these choices are pretty big. Some other posters have recommended some great choices. Austin, TX, Burlington, Vermont, also would throw in Williamstown, MA, Nyack, NY and others parts of the northeast.

If you don't like the South, you shouldn't move to Atlanta. St. Louis doesn't seem like the European arts community you seek. Baltimore/DC is huge and San Antonio reminds me of Disney world. If you're still going to give the south a shot, consider Athens, GA. It's a very different feel than Asheville with tons of artists, musicians and educators. Worth a weekend drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 06:32 AM

40 posts, read 149,144 times
I think we are adding Austin, TX to our list.
Has anyone ever been? - From what I've seen and read the south austin area seems really laid back, artsy w/lots of music outlets.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:04 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,332,190 times
The DC area - NO!!! Yes it is diverse but very expensive and traffic makes doing all the fun things a pain in the tookus. However, Baltimore might be more to your liking and still close to DC to visit all the awesome things available.

Being on the East Coast still allows you access to NY and you are not in that southern mindset. I would go check out the boards to those cities and then compare cost of living etc...

Another cool thing to do is ****.com. You answer a bunch of questions based on things that are important to you (cultural activities, lifestyle etc) and they list cities that might suit you best. Then it explains in detail about that city. Have fun!!

Old 09-27-2007, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
The DC area - NO!!! Yes it is diverse but very expensive and traffic makes doing all the fun things a pain in the tookus. However, Baltimore might be more to your liking and still close to DC to visit all the awesome things available.

Being on the East Coast still allows you access to NY and you are not in that southern mindset. I would go check out the boards to those cities and then compare cost of living etc...

Another cool thing to do is ****.com. You answer a bunch of questions based on things that are important to you (cultural activities, lifestyle etc) and they list cities that might suit you best. Then it explains in detail about that city. Have fun!!
True...
I did the ****.com and got some strange responses..
like the town I live in now :/ -- Portland was on there (which lead us to check it out) -

anyone familiar with youturn.com -- Locally made video's for popular towns, sort of first hand perspective of each city..
What's what made us look into Austin.
here's the link: http://www.turnhere.com/default.aspx (broken link)

Old 09-27-2007, 12:39 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,390,841 times
Quote:
Greetings All!

My Fiancé and I live in Charlotte, NC and are tired of their Southern ways.

We would love to move out of the country but that seems down the road. So in the next year or two we would like to move to another state.
We are both from & grew up in California - though I think it would be too costly to move back.

I am a graphic designer/musician (26) and she works in hospitality/baking (34). No kids, no commitments. We love,love,love music & the art scene. (underground, electronic, experimental) going to shows, meeting similar people. .

We want a city that isn't full of the same kind. We want more diversity, more culture and more variety. Also, as always - some place affordable and relatively clean. So far our list consists of:

Altanta, GA
St. Louis, MS
Portland, OR
Baltimore/DC area
San Antonio, TX

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! - on these cities listed or any other you could enlighten us on.

thank you!

mere&rosa
Atlanta is pretty huge and very similar to Charlotte (in a bad way). San Antonio is flat, hot and has a strong hispanic influence. St. Louis is an old tired city. DC is a huge city. Of the names on your list Portland is the only choice.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:56 PM

36,656 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Austin, Texas

Also, Philadelphia and Chicago are the bang-for-your buck capitals of the US imo.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:31 PM

yes yes! heard great things ov Austin, so add that to the list!

Old 09-27-2007, 03:55 PM

572 posts, read 1,995,245 times
St. Louis is not an old tired city and while Baltimore/DC is a very large metro, you could easily live in the city of Baltimore and have most everything you need.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:08 PM

430 posts, read 1,394,071 times
Quote:
Greetings All!

My Fiancé and I live in Charlotte, NC and are tired of their Southern ways.

We would love to move out of the country but that seems down the road. So in the next year or two we would like to move to another state.
We are both from & grew up in California - though I think it would be too costly to move back.

I am a graphic designer/musician (26) and she works in hospitality/baking (34). No kids, no commitments. We love,love,love music & the art scene. (underground, electronic, experimental) going to shows, meeting similar people. .

Altanta, GA
St. Louis, MS
Portland, OR
Baltimore/DC area
San Antonio, TX

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! - on these cities listed or any other you could enlighten us on.

thank you!

mere&rosa
High. I would definitely recommend Portland Oregon. -Also, Sacramento, California, rated as the most racially/ethnically integrated (not segregated) large city in the country. It is diverse but also laid back, not pretentious, and dose have a vibrant economy including high tech, and good entertainment options. Also, the city is filled with trees and has a great and historic city center residential area.

Downsides: -It gets very hot and sometimes muggy in the summer. The downtown also tends to shut down after sunset, though there are other areas including old town that do not. Some areas are =unsafe (true in any sizable city), also the cost of housing is above average. By California standards it is rather low, however, and has been coming down rapidly in recent months, but the economy there is still doing well.

Good luck with your move wherever you decide! -Emil.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:28 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
I can't believe Houston has not been mentioned yet! It's essentially everything the OP is looking for. Can't recommend my area although is does have many aspects the OP would be looking for, this is an area with questionable future prospects and a high cost of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.