Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 11:55 AM

40 posts, read 148,845 times

Advertisements

Greetings All!

My Fiancé and I live in Charlotte, NC and are tired of their Southern ways.

We would love to move out of the country but that seems down the road. So in the next year or two we would like to move to another state.
We are both from & grew up in California - though I think it would be too costly to move back.

I am a graphic designer/musician (26) and she works in hospitality/baking (34). No kids, no commitments. We love,love,love music & the art scene. (underground, electronic, experimental) going to shows, meeting similar people. .

We want a city that isn't full of the same kind. We want more diversity, more culture and more variety. Also, as always - some place affordable and relatively clean. So far our list consists of:

Altanta, GA
St. Louis, MS
Portland, OR
Baltimore/DC area
San Antonio, TX

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! - on these cities listed or any other you could enlighten us on.

thank you!

mere&rosa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 12:10 PM

374 posts, read 1,849,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4800orbust View Post
Greetings All!

My Fiancé and I live in Charlotte, NC and are tired of their Southern ways.

We would love to move out of the country but that seems down the road. So in the next year or two we would like to move to another state.
We are both from & grew up in California - though I think it would be too costly to move back.

I am a graphic designer/musician (26) and she works in hospitality/baking (34). No kids, no commitments. We love,love,love music & the art scene. (underground, electronic, experimental) going to shows, meeting similar people. .

We want a city that isn't full of the same kind. We want more diversity, more culture and more variety. Also, as always - some place affordable and relatively clean. So far our list consists of:

Altanta, GA
St. Louis, MS
Portland, OR
Baltimore/DC area
San Antonio, TX

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! - on these cities listed or any other you could enlighten us on.

thank you!

mere&rosa
Well, you will get a ton of different answers. Check out the places you are interested. I will say - since you have Portland, OR on your list, I would consider Seattle, WA. After SF (and maybe New York), Seattle is my favorite U.S. city.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:26 PM

13,366 posts, read 28,600,305 times
New York would be my bet for all you want
You could rent right across the Hudson River in Jersey City downtown area or Hoboken
Train to NYC in 15 minutes right at your doorstep

If you want to be in more of a Southern climate..check out New Orleans

Old 09-26-2007, 12:29 PM

40 posts, read 148,845 times
oh! I should have stated this before.
Very large cities are not very appealing to us. (New York, L.A., S.F.,)
we also enjoy our reclusiveness from time to time.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:45 PM

9,331 posts, read 20,670,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4800orbust View Post
oh! I should have stated this before.
Very large cities are not very appealing to us. (New York, L.A., S.F.,)
we also enjoy our reclusiveness from time to time.
In this particular case, Burlington Vermont comes to mind. You had mentioned previously you wanted to leave the country some day. Vermont is more removed from mainstream America IMO than any other state. The entire philosophy there is different. Suburbia (i.e. desire to turn the entire country into a mall) is resisted there.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:54 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,326,978 times
Seems like a lot of people in your situation are attracted to Austin TX, primarily for the hip vibe and eclectic arts and music scene. If you are considering San Antonio (and thus willing to deal with Texas summers), you should definitely look in to Austin.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:01 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,731,480 times
Based on the list that you mentioned , I would recommend Portland, OR.

Austin is also another great place that you might want to take into the consideration. With your background as a musician, I think you will fit nicely in Austin.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:45 PM

699 posts, read 2,228,369 times
The Baltimore/DC area is arguably the most diverse, cultured, and has the most variety out of the cities mentioned above. It's pretty clean, has an underground/dnb/u name it scene, and has plenty of opportunities for graphic designers and musicians.

The only problem is that since you are looking for affordable, the cost of living in Balt-Wash is much higher than the other cities.

Also, since you don't want to live in a large city, I don't know if Baltimore/Washington would work since it's a very largely populated area. But, at least it would be closer to Charlotte if you still have friends there.

From your list, Portland looks to be a great choice.

Old 09-26-2007, 03:50 PM

572 posts, read 1,987,873 times
My choices for you would be Saint Louis (MO), (I live here and like it)
and the city of Baltimore.
Both have a very urban feel. The music scene is well established. Both have funky areas to hang and live. I don't know about Baltimore but the art scene is STL is really starting to pop.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:20 PM

4,382 posts, read 16,713,667 times
based on what you said, I think DC/baltimore would be a very positive place for you guys! Tons of art stuff in DC, some in baltimore btw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.