Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2007, 07:57 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,742,732 times

Advertisements

D.C and Houston are already ahead of LA in terms of GDP per captia, brainpower rating. Both D.C and Houston also have more highly skilled and educated workers than LA.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:11 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,742,732 times
LA metro has close to 1 million illegal aliens and a big labor pool. Its a perfect environment for many manufacturing companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
I had forgotten that clothing is manufactured there.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:13 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Do you think the big three will always be the most meaningful cities in the United States or do you think some city will eventually pass them in the future?I ask this because when I really think of big cities in our country,that our the biggest world symbols in our country,those are them,but I wanted to know if anyone thinks that someone will pass them up in the future?
prediction is 2012 oct huge sunamies east and west coast gone.
texas and montana in good shape.
fyi san fran and nyc are supposed to be totally gone.
city on a great lake would get very wet.
so the answer is no.
stephen s
san diego ca
ps oh and how bout me
gosh i need swim fins huh?

Old 10-01-2007, 01:30 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,207,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
If Houston gets hit, Angelenos just kiss your automobile-centered lifestyle goodbye. New York could survive but everywhere else can't. The SoCal lifestyle is just plain unsustainable.

Actually the traditional center of Catholicism in America is Baltimore. If the pope designated the Primate of the United States, it would be Baltimore not Los Angeles.
How is NY going to heat itself, off of its rosy, warm glow? New York, for many, many reasons is the most vulnerable big city in the world. NY could survive, but everywhere else can't! Funny, how it rained hard a month or so ago, and the subway system shut down. You're funny! Love it! Tradition or not, the Pope should consider L. A., even with the trouble.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
milky, LA is an alpha city but its not a global power like Chicago, New York. When you say LA is quite a tech hub, make sure you have some data to back it.
[quote=downtown1;1616832]I stand corrected. LA is not a city of BIG BUSINESS. How many times I have to repeat this? QUOTE]

Downytowny, I... think that global power is a prerequisite to being an alpha rated city. L. A. is more influential than Chicago or New York and is more of a 'global' center than Chicago can ever be. Chicago has a lousy location in that respect and actually, having a real port and not a baby outlet on a lake would serve it well. L. A. has a real port, a real BIG port! But, Chicago doesn't. Keep in mind, I have to repeat myself to people like you every day! L. A., global player. Chicago, not so much! Reality! ACTUALITY!

Old 10-01-2007, 01:44 AM

Please, brainpower! That's precious, coming from you!

Old 10-01-2007, 08:22 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Until new cities can prove their worth, yes. LA, Chicago, and New York are the main economic driving forces of the United States right now, and places like Houston and Dallas are just not nearly as big.
Not exactly. Both Houston and Dallas are pretty major.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
How is NY going to heat itself, off of its rosy, warm glow? New York, for many, many reasons is the most vulnerable big city in the world. NY could survive, but everywhere else can't! Funny, how it rained hard a month or so ago, and the subway system shut down. You're funny! Love it! Tradition or not, the Pope should consider L. A., even with the trouble.
He's talking about our nation's dependency on the automobile which would be damaged if Houston was hit by a natural disaster. He feels New York would survive since they don't depend on the car for transportation.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:32 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
lol

I think Houston has alot more to worry about than a little rain shutting down a subway for a few hours. Once again, call me when Houston is 1/4 the city NYC is.

No definitive answers on storm preparedness of Houston area | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Old 10-01-2007, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
lol

I think Houston has alot more to worry about than a little rain shutting down a subway for a few hours. Once again, call me when Houston is 1/4 the city NYC is.

No definitive answers on storm preparedness of Houston area | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle
What are you talking about? Who was discussing something bad happening to New York? What was being discussed is the possibility of a natural disaster on Houston affecting the U.S. economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.