Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2007, 09:52 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
Please watch your language. Those are FACTS. When you said LA has 40 Fortune 500 companies and boasts more hi-tech jobs than Chicago, but failed to back them up with data, its called "a bunch of garbage and misinformation"
LA doesnt have 40 fortune 500 companies. The Bay Area is second to the NY Metro in that regard and we've only got 27 or 28.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:50 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
LA doesnt have 40 fortune 500 companies. The Bay Area is second to the NY Metro in that regard and we've only got 27 or 28.
You're both wrong. San Francisco and LA only have 5 apiece. Now, California as a whole has 54, and many of those are in the metro areas of LA or SF, but the cities, proper, have 5 apiece. NYC has 45. Houston has 22. Atlanta has 12. Chicago and Dallas each have 11. NY has the most as a state. 57. Texas has 56. Then Cali. Then IL with 33 and Ohio with 28.

When it comes to the GLOBAL 500, only NYC can hang with Tokyo or London.

FORTUNE 500 2007: Cities

Old 10-27-2007, 06:06 PM

288 posts, read 1,329,255 times
Default Chicago really isn't that meaningful

I really don’t find Chicago really that significant to what is going on in America today, only that it is the 3rd most populous city in the US with Houston coming on strong looking to take that position away, as did Los Angeles. Maybe Chicago was years ago.

(Think about what you use every day, computer/software/Phone/TV etc…….what banks you use/what you watch on TV, go to movies, eat, drink, and what political developments rule the headlines, and you.

The us relies heavily on (Tourism, Technology, Finance, Entertainment, and Politics)

New York, Los Angeles tops in most of those categories

New York - has the music industry, Time Warner, MTV, VH1, BET etc. finance, tourism etc. /New York effects you everyday

Los Angeles - practically every movie is made there, music industry, entertainment, tourism, /L.A. is in your home every day.

D.C. – Politics, Tourism/DC affects you everyday

Seattle – Technology/ Microsoft, Nintendo, Amazon, Real Networks, Google, Bungie studios, Expedia, T-moble, At&t, Boeing (planes we fly everyday are built in the greater Seattle area) / Finance – Washington Mutual Tourism other Starbucks – Seattle, is utilized by you every day, at home or work to make things move more efficiently for you.

San Francisco/bay area – Technology/ Apple, Google, adobe, digidesign, Intel etc. / Finance, Tourism – San Francisco (see Seattle)

Houston
Miami/Florida
Atlanta – music industry, CNN, TNT, coca-cola

Even throw in Las Vegas, for the Tourism department.

I’m not saying Chicago isn’t important………but because of its population people over state it. There are actually other cities, as you can see, that have a direct effect on our lives, and how we function every day across the entire US.

The cities on both coast, west, east, and in the gulf, have the most profound effect on our country, and culture. Thus the shift in population west and south and some in the east.

A lot of rust belt, and midwestern cities, have lost population, or status as top cities. The midwest is not a desirable location compared to the west and east coast cities, San Jose, was just a burb of San Francisco, now it’s bigger than San Francisco. I don’t think Milwaukie, or Garry Indiana will ever pass Chicago anytime soon.

If you just took Chicago, and wiped it off the map, nothing would change in the US, because you have New York.

Wipe out L.A. - that means…..no movies, no commercials, no TV shows, no Disneyland, it would effect, the entire US.

Wipe out D.C. – No Government to run the country

Wipe out Seattle – No Microsoft - means no windows, You would have no PC computer, no internet, no software to run, millions of office jobs gone, no X box 360, No Halo 3 No Nintendo Wii, no Amazon.com, no expedia, no starbucks, most aplines for travel and military gone, no Google….wow.

Wipe out San Fran and the bay area – See Seattle, with the addition of no Apple, no I-Pod, no I-phone, no I-Tunes No Pro tools - which makes most of the music you hear on radio or in movies today. No Processors to run computers period, wow.

In my book, Chicago is in a big three comparison with New York, and L.A. by way of population only……IMO. But L.A. has over a million more people than Chicago, and growing.

In reality New York is really five separate counties that formed one city. Most people recognize New York as Manhattan, which L.A. is more than twice the size of.

If you made L.A. into a five county city as New York is with annexation

Los Angeles County, Orange County, San Bernardino County, Riverside County and Ventura County

L.A. and New York would be about the same size.

Old 10-27-2007, 09:31 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,742,903 times
To be honest, you have no freaking clue what you're talking about. Unlike the global players like New York and Chicago, LA's global role is less significant in the world today. This has already been discussed. Go back a few pages and find out yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monumental1 View Post
I really don’t find Chicago really that significant to what is going on in America today, only that it is the 3rd most populous city in the US with Houston coming on strong looking to take that position away, as did Los Angeles. Maybe Chicago was years ago.

(Think about what you use every day, computer/software/Phone/TV etc…….what banks you use/what you watch on TV, go to movies, eat, drink, and what political developments rule the headlines, and you.

The us relies heavily on (Tourism, Technology, Finance, Entertainment, and Politics)

New York, Los Angeles tops in most of those categories

New York - has the music industry, Time Warner, MTV, VH1, BET etc. finance, tourism etc. /New York effects you everyday

Los Angeles - practically every movie is made there, music industry, entertainment, tourism, /L.A. is in your home every day.

D.C. – Politics, Tourism/DC affects you everyday

Seattle – Technology/ Microsoft, Nintendo, Amazon, Real Networks, Google, Bungie studios, Expedia, T-moble, At&t, Boeing (planes we fly everyday are built in the greater Seattle area) / Finance – Washington Mutual Tourism other Starbucks – Seattle, is utilized by you every day, at home or work to make things move more efficiently for you.

San Francisco/bay area – Technology/ Apple, Google, adobe, digidesign, Intel etc. / Finance, Tourism – San Francisco (see Seattle)

Houston
Miami/Florida
Atlanta – music industry, CNN, TNT, coca-cola

Even throw in Las Vegas, for the Tourism department.

I’m not saying Chicago isn’t important………but because of its population people over state it. There are actually other cities, as you can see, that have a direct effect on our lives, and how we function every day across the entire US.

The cities on both coast, west, east, and in the gulf, have the most profound effect on our country, and culture. Thus the shift in population west and south and some in the east.

A lot of rust belt, and midwestern cities, have lost population, or status as top cities. The midwest is not a desirable location compared to the west and east coast cities, San Jose, was just a burb of San Francisco, now it’s bigger than San Francisco. I don’t think Milwaukie, or Garry Indiana will ever pass Chicago anytime soon.

If you just took Chicago, and wiped it off the map, nothing would change in the US, because you have New York.

Wipe out L.A. - that means…..no movies, no commercials, no TV shows, no Disneyland, it would effect, the entire US.

Wipe out D.C. – No Government to run the country

Wipe out Seattle – No Microsoft - means no windows, You would have no PC computer, no internet, no software to run, millions of office jobs gone, no X box 360, No Halo 3 No Nintendo Wii, no Amazon.com, no expedia, no starbucks, most aplines for travel and military gone, no Google….wow.

Wipe out San Fran and the bay area – See Seattle, with the addition of no Apple, no I-Pod, no I-phone, no I-Tunes No Pro tools - which makes most of the music you hear on radio or in movies today. No Processors to run computers period, wow.

In my book, Chicago is in a big three comparison with New York, and L.A. by way of population only……IMO. But L.A. has over a million more people than Chicago, and growing.

In reality New York is really five separate counties that formed one city. Most people recognize New York as Manhattan, which L.A. is more than twice the size of.

If you made L.A. into a five county city as New York is with annexation

Los Angeles County, Orange County, San Bernardino County, Riverside County and Ventura County

L.A. and New York would be about the same size.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:12 PM

79 posts, read 536,734 times
For all you people who still don't know what chicago is important for check down here.
Chicago is the candy capital of the world.
Quote:
Chicago ranks second only to New York in the publishing industry
. chicago has something it is know for ok. it might not be known for the one big thing but it has many little things that are important to the nation. Chicago unlike the rest of the cities doesn't need one major thing to survive on. we don't need one big thing like hollywood. imagine if no one is interested movies anymore L.A 's economy will suffer. having one thing as your major source for your economy isn't neccessary an advantage

Trivia - Where is the world's candy capital? - ArcaMax Publishing

Chicago: Economy - Major Industries and Commercial Activity

Old 10-27-2007, 10:37 PM

Candy capital of the World? No, thanks. I am on diet now

MasterCard Worldwide Ranks Cities for Strategic Impact on Global Commerce

MasterCard Worldwide today announced the first set of findings of a groundbreaking research effort, the MasterCard Worldwide Centers of Commerce(TM) program, designed to provide insights and knowledge on how leading cities influence the global economy.

Centers of Commerce(TM), the most comprehensive analysis to date of how
major cities compare in performing critical functions that connect markets and commerce globally.

The Index, developed by a panel of leading economists, lists and ranks the top 50 Centers of Commerce based on six measurement dimensions consisting of over 100 data points. It places London first, followed by New York, Tokyo, Chicago and Hong Kong in the top five

http://www.electran.org/index2.php?o...o_pdf=1&id=154

Economy of Chicago

Chicago has the third largest gross metropolitan product in the nation—approximately $442 billion according to 2007 estimates.[29] The city has also been rated as having the most balanced economy in the United States, due to its high level of diversification.[30] Chicago was named the fourth most important business center in the world in the MasterCard Worldwide Centers of Commerce Index. [31] Additionally, the Chicago metropolitan area recorded the greatest number of new or expanded corporate facilities in the United States for five of the past six years.[32] The Boeing Company relocated its corporate headquarters from Seattle to Chicago in 2001.

Chicago is a major financial center with the second largest central business district in the U.S. The city is the headquarters of the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago (the Seventh District of the Federal Reserve). The city is also home to four major financial and futures exchanges, including the Chicago Stock Exchange, the Chicago Board of Trade (CBOT), the Chicago Board Options Exchange (CBOE), and the Chicago Mercantile Exchange (the "Merc"). The city and the surrounding suburbs are home to 66 Fortune 500 companies.[33] Chicago and the surrounding areas also house many major brokerage firms and insurance companies, such as Allstate Corporation and Zürich North America. In addition, despite Chicago commonly being perceived as a rust-belt city, a study indicated that Chicago has the largest high-technology and information-technology industry employment in the United States.

Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline887 View Post
For all you people who still don't know what chicago is important for check down here.
Chicago is the candy capital of the world. . chicago has something it is know for ok. it might not be known for the one big thing but it has many little things that are important to the nation. Chicago unlike the rest of the cities doesn't need one major thing to survive on. we don't need one big thing like hollywood. imagine if no one is interested movies anymore L.A 's economy will suffer. having one thing as your major source for your economy isn't neccessary an advantage

Trivia - Where is the world's candy capital? - ArcaMax Publishing

Chicago: Economy - Major Industries and Commercial Activity

Old 10-27-2007, 11:11 PM

79 posts, read 536,734 times
Quote:
The city has also been rated as having the most balanced economy in the United States, due to its high level of diversification.
This is why chicago doesn't need to be known for one thing. Its actually better to have diversification. i used think chicago needs to be know for something but now it is lot better that it doesn't need one thing just to keep the economy going.

Quote:
The midwest is not a desirable location compared to the west and east coast cities, San Jose, was just a burb of San Francisco, now it’s bigger than San Francisco. I don’t think Milwaukie, or Garry Indiana will ever pass Chicago anytime soon.
have you hear about the drought going on lately. when all these cities run out of freshwater the midwest will be the most desirable.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:33 AM

Quote:
To be honest, you have no freaking clue what you're talking about. Unlike the global players like New York and Chicago, LA's global role is less significant in the world today. This has already been discussed. Go back a few pages and find out yourself.
Then show me one thing, that is not factual in what I said.

Fact of the matter is. Chicago doesn't matter to me, or most people for that matter. Everything I mentioned is what pretty much every US citizen utilizes on a daily bases 24 / 7 / 365 and none of it comes from Chicago. So with that being said, I don't find Chicago that important. Period.

another fact is, you are the one with no clue to what you are talking about.

Chicago, is a step child next to New York

Old 10-28-2007, 12:41 AM

You answered your own question already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monumental1 View Post
Then show me one thing, that is not factual in what I said.

Fact of the matter is. Chicago doesn't matter to me, or most people for that matter. Everything I mentioned is what pretty much every US citizen utilizes on a daily bases 24 / 7 / 365 and none of it comes from Chicago. So with that being said, I don't find Chicago that important. Period.

another fact is, you are the one with no clue to what you are talking about.

Chicago, is a step child next to New York

Old 10-28-2007, 12:53 AM

Quote:
You answered your own question already.
Fact is Chicago does not matter. Gotcha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.