U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 02:20 PM

18,947 posts, read 49,532,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
I myself too think these cities will remain the big three.What if Phoenix's metro and city keeps growing,is there any chance it may join the big three and make it the big four,or Houston might join and then it will be the big five?
IMO it will never join the big 3 (at least not in my lifetime) in terms of importance. Its population might grow, but its global influence will remain small.

Old 09-26-2007, 03:03 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,696,249 times
How can you convince people that LA will remain a key city when Foreign Direct Investment group did not identify it as the city of the future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurekRZA View Post
New York city will always be a main key city for the U.S.
Los Angeles is constantly growing and changing. Los Angeles has so many new developements right now that many people don't even know about. The city will not look the same 5 years from now. Another main reason why Los Angeles is going to remeain a key city is because of its location on the west coast just like New York on the east coast.
I can't really say Chicago will remain a main key city for the U.S. because it's in the mid-west. Personally, I think it is going to remain very significant.

Old 09-26-2007, 03:11 PM

3,030 posts, read 5,562,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beone View Post
Houston could grow to the become the most populous city in the U.S. and it would still be insignif!
Houston could become the largest metro area in the United States and it would still be insignificant? Houston could become the largest city in North America, displacing Mexico City (what a lovely place though!), and it would still be insignificant? Houston could be both the capital of the United States or its successor and the financial centre of the world and still be insignificant? It could be the home of the Catholic Church's New World offices but still be insignificant? If that happened, Houston would be a very unique city because it is not just a financial centre and seat of government, it is a religious center with a religion industry to support it. There are no cities in the world that have money, power, and religion in one place.

Why the anti-Houston bias?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvm View Post
Always is a long time. What about global warming flooding NYC (and Miami)? The long-overdue Big One for LA?
Did you forget the Big One that hits L.A. will hit San Francisco more easily? San Francisco('s southwest corner) sits on the fault while the fault sits on faraway Palmdale in L.A. County. (Wanna try to drive from Palmdale to West L.A.? Pure HELL!)

Last edited by KerrTown; 09-26-2007 at 03:42 PM..

Old 09-26-2007, 03:14 PM

707 posts, read 2,270,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
How can you convince people that LA will remain a key city when Foreign Direct Investment group did not identify it as the city of the future?

I have pictures of the many projects that are being constructed right now in Downtown Los Angeles and Hollywood. I plan to post a thread with the pictures and locations of the new developements soon in the L.A. forum.

Does it matter what they say? Im sure they have reasons as to why they chose the cities they chose, but only time can tell which cities WILL BE the cities of the future not some Investment group.

Last edited by SurekRZA; 09-26-2007 at 03:35 PM..

Old 09-26-2007, 03:15 PM

374 posts, read 1,266,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
Why do you continually bring up these meaningless statistics? LA is and will always be a major "key" American city. Who cares what the Foreign Direct Investment Group says. Surely, their opinion will have no impact on LA's current or future status.

Old 09-26-2007, 03:17 PM

374 posts, read 1,266,567 times
[quote=KerrTown;1587497]Houston could become the largest metro area in the United States and it would still be insignificant? Houston could become the largest city in North America, displacing Mexico City (what a lovely place though!), and it would still be insignificant? Houston could be both the capital of the United States or its successor and the financial centre of the world and still be insignificant? It could be the home of the Catholic Church's New World offices but still be insignificant? If that happened, Houston would be a very unique city because it is not just a financial centre and seat of government, it is a religious center with a religion industry to support it. There are no cities in the world that have money, power, and religion in one place.

QUOTE]

Houston is going to become none of those things. Please. Ok, Catholic Church headquarters maybe. But who cares about that?

I hate Houston. I hate Texas. I always will. So what?

Old 09-26-2007, 03:53 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,696,249 times
Oh, yeah...who cares, huh? say that to the LA civic leaders

Ok..let me put it this way...New York & Chicago are the cities of the future and the global players. LA is also a global city like New York & Chicago but LA has already been lagging behind NY & Chicago. I truly believe LA is not capable of competing along side with New York & Chicago in today's global economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beone View Post
Why do you continually bring up these meaningless statistics? LA is and will always be a major "key" American city. Who cares what the Foreign Direct Investment Group says. Surely, their opinion will have no impact on LA's current or future status.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:16 PM

214 posts, read 12,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Houston could become the largest metro area in the United States and it would still be insignificant? Houston could become the largest city in North America, displacing Mexico City (what a lovely place though!), and it would still be insignificant? Houston could be both the capital of the United States or its successor and the financial centre of the world and still be insignificant? It could be the home of the Catholic Church's New World offices but still be insignificant? If that happened, Houston would be a very unique city because it is not just a financial centre and seat of government, it is a religious center with a religion industry to support it. There are no cities in the world that have money, power, and religion in one place.

Did you forget the Big One that hits L.A. will hit San Francisco more easily? San Francisco('s southwest corner) sits on the fault while the fault sits on faraway Palmdale in L.A. County. (Wanna try to drive from Palmdale to West L.A.? Pure HELL!)
Houston has too many fat people to be significant.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:27 PM

4,388 posts, read 11,314,141 times
no, I know Baltimore will be #1 one day

but Really, yes i do think they will be the most significant cities for a while in the US

Old 09-26-2007, 07:00 PM

1,288 posts, read 3,534,427 times
New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago will all remain key, important cities for the forseable future. However, in terms of importance the big three U.S. Cities are New York, Los Angeles, and Washington, DC. They each exert considerable national and global influence that is unrivaled by any other American city. Each is singularly dominant in key areas of the U.S. economy and they all play a shared role in promoting American ideals and culure around the world.

New York - Finance, media, recording industry
Los Angeles - Film/TV production, international trade, recording industry
Washington - Seat of U.S. political and military power and policy making
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.