Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2007, 03:15 PM

374 posts, read 1,852,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
you posted your comment after I did, so how am i supposed to understand your comment before its even on there?
i completely understand your point, it is a matter of living with them. you COULD die anywhere for any reason, but earthquakes in CA are a little different, because they happen on a daily basis (even though there never felt often). Yes I drive and i know i could die, but if you do crash, its usually your fault or another persons fault, but With Earthquakes, you can't avoid them, sadly
Sorry, I said way before these last posts that despite the risks I live here because I love it and can't see myself being happy any where else. Maybe you didn't see those posts.

Of course, with any natural disaster you have no control. But, you have no control over life in general. I've known quite a few people who have died young, from cancer, AIDS and car accidents. Life is precious and can last a lot shorter than you think it will. That's why I live for today - be happy today, because you don't know if you will get a tomorrow.

Again, if an earthquake hits tonight and I stop posting you'll all know I died. But remember, I died happy Now, let's all say a prayer tonight that I'm back here posting tomorrow

Lastly, I still think you're carrying much more risk driving than I am living in San Francisco.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:06 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
[quote=beone;1587532]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Houston could become the largest metro area in the United States and it would still be insignificant? Houston could become the largest city in North America, displacing Mexico City (what a lovely place though!), and it would still be insignificant? Houston could be both the capital of the United States or its successor and the financial centre of the world and still be insignificant? It could be the home of the Catholic Church's New World offices but still be insignificant? If that happened, Houston would be a very unique city because it is not just a financial centre and seat of government, it is a religious center with a religion industry to support it. There are no cities in the world that have money, power, and religion in one place.

Why the anti-Houston bias?
QUOTE]

Houston is going to become none of those things. Please. Ok, Catholic Church headquarters maybe. But who cares about that?

I hate Houston. I hate Texas. I always will. So what?
hate it based on what ...... zero real knowledge

Old 09-28-2007, 08:59 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,572,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
Las Vegas is the fattest city in America, my friend. This is the year of 2007

The Top 10 Fattest Cities in 2007

2007 RANKING LAST YEAR
1. Las Vegas 2
2. San Antonio 12
3. Miami 14
4. Mesa, AZ 10
5. Los Angeles 3
6. Houston 5
7. Dallas 4
8. El Paso 8
9. Detroit 15
10. San Jose 24

Men's Fitness Names the Fittest and Fattest Cities in America
Thanks for finding the latest one, but notice how I said according to Men's Fitness. The criteria they use can in no way possible correctly calculate the fattest city in America. What they're really ranking is the health laziness of cities. Which is why I said that Houston never really was. This city actually has a rather healthy average BMI.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:03 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,572,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beone View Post
I think you're right, which is why I'm going to avoid Houston discussions

Really though, if you love Houston, that's great - you are lucky (like me) to live in a place you love. So, be happy and don't let what others say bother you.
Still, at the same time, I can't imagine why people have such a dislike for a place that is nothing without its people. 2.5 million+ great people.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:40 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,741,128 times
I honestly don't think many people would want to see SF and LA get hit by an earthquake. However, the next "big one " is inevitable according to many geology scientists and researchers. It might strike tomorrow, next year, or 20 years from now. Nobody knows. I hope their prediction is wrong.

If the quake hits LA, I think the disruption to the US's economy could be minimal as compared to when it hits San Francisco. Since LA is not a city of big business, not a technology hub, not a global financial center and only important to Southern California region, the damage caused by earthquakes won't ruin the American economy, much less so to the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
It seems like a lot of people cant hardly wait for a huge earthquake to destroy Los Angeles or San Francisco. Like they actually want it to happen-what's up with that?

Do you really hate us that much that you would wish for our cities to be destroyed just so you can say I told ya so?

Last edited by downtown1; 09-28-2007 at 11:15 PM..

Old 09-29-2007, 03:12 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,206,624 times
Quote:
I honestly don't think many people would want to see SF and LA get hit by an earthquake. However, the next "big one " is inevitable according to many geology scientists and researchers. It might strike tomorrow, next year, or 20 years from now. Nobody knows. I hope their prediction is wrong.

If the quake hits LA, I think the disruption to the US's economy could be minimal as compared to when it hits San Francisco. Since LA is not a city of big business, not a technology hub, not a global financial center and only important to Southern California region, the damage caused by earthquakes won't ruin the American economy, much less so to the world.
There will be no Catholic Church headquarters in Houston, as Los Angeles is the home of the largest Archdiocese in the country with over 4 million. Towny, you're really overreaching on this one! If business and international trade are interrupted in L. A., then wherever it is you are will suffer! You'll still get your stuff after a few weeks, but in the end, the prices will bring the national economy to a halt, depending on the damage. Then, there is the price to rebuild and it will truly be ugly. I wouldn't say that global finance is L. A.'s forte', but it is quite the tech hub and it is quite the business center and it is quite important to the nation! It's not some little, spoiled Sodom where punk kids run wild. We're talking about a metro area that let's in every 4 out of ten TEU's in the country, maybe a little more. The L. A. of "The Beach Boys" is long gone. Alpha city, b i t c h!

Old 09-29-2007, 09:21 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,741,128 times
milky, LA is an alpha city but its not a global power like Chicago, New York. When you say LA is quite a tech hub, make sure you have some data to back it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
There will be no Catholic Church headquarters in Houston, as Los Angeles is the home of the largest Archdiocese in the country with over 4 million. Towny, you're really overreaching on this one! If business and international trade are interrupted in L. A., then wherever it is you are will suffer! You'll still get your stuff after a few weeks, but in the end, the prices will bring the national economy to a halt, depending on the damage. Then, there is the price to rebuild and it will truly be ugly. I wouldn't say that global finance is L. A.'s forte', but it is quite the tech hub and it is quite the business center and it is quite important to the nation! It's not some little, spoiled Sodom where punk kids run wild. We're talking about a metro area that let's in every 4 out of ten TEU's in the country, maybe a little more. The L. A. of "The Beach Boys" is long gone. Alpha city, b i t c h!

Old 09-30-2007, 10:02 AM

1,287 posts, read 5,023,638 times
Quote:
There are no single big industries that dominate the L. A. economy. There are big industries, but they'll be satisfied with being the largest manufacturer in the country with the largest port system to feed it! Don't forget, if it weren't for the aerospace industry of Southern California during World War II, this country would be speaking German and you would be known as 'koldwien'!

milquetoast, you don’t need to explain yourself. Anyone with a high school or even junior high school education has the intellectual capacity to figure out that third largest metro economy in the entire world, only behind Tokyo and New York, could not be built on small business. LA’s economy is one of the most diverse in the world as is Chicago’s, New York’s and that of every other major economic player.

Anyone who says...

Quote:
LA today is a city of small business and considered less global influence than NY, Chicago.
Quote:
Hollywood's image aside, LA is a blue-collar city. Its not a "place" for big business.
Quote:
LA is also a global city like New York & Chicago but LA has already been lagging behind NY & Chicago. I truly believe LA is not capable of competing along side with New York & Chicago in today's global economy.
does not know what they are talking about and should not be taken seriously. Chicago is the city that's "lagging behind"at the moment.

All you have to do is point to the facts. And even Chicago’s very own economic development corporation, which is chaired by Mayor Richard Daley, confirms that LA’s economic output and growth is superior to that of Chicago’s.

Gross Regional Product (GRP) 2005

New York $995B
Los Angeles $637B
Chicago $423B

Percent growth in GRP 2000-2005

Los Angeles 15%
U.S. 13%
New York 11%
Chicago 5%

Private sector job growth 2000-2006

Los Angeles 86,500
New York -34,500
Chicago -75,400

Not only is Chicago's economy smaller, it's growing at a much slower pace than LA or NY. Plus, Chicago is loosing jobs. Another sign of competitive weakness.

http://www.worldbusinesschicago.com/Portals/0/infocenter_files/comparingchicago_economy.pdf (broken link)

Old 09-30-2007, 10:35 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
Quote:
San Francisco is not a technology hub, either.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:32 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Quote:
If the quake hits LA, I think the disruption to the US's economy could be minimal as compared to when it hits San Francisco.
If Houston gets hit, Angelenos just kiss your automobile-centered lifestyle goodbye. New York could survive but everywhere else can't. The SoCal lifestyle is just plain unsustainable.

Quote:
There will be no Catholic Church headquarters in Houston, as Los Angeles is the home of the largest Archdiocese in the country with over 4 million.
Actually the traditional center of Catholicism in America is Baltimore. If the pope designated the Primate of the United States, it would be Baltimore not Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.