Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 02:31 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,321,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
That does not change the fact that.... in terms of the percent of population , LA is ranked near bottom. By saying LA has more BA degree holders than Seattle, its a better educated metro? Gee...I am sure Bill Gates won't let go on this one

Better.... educated? Maybe. That never means more intelligent. Gates, Steve Jobs, Larry Ellison from Oracle, and Michael Dell are all college dropouts.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:43 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,732,205 times
Yeah..I know but those are just a few exceptions. Metros with high percent of population finish college usually have higher per capita/household income and best-paid jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Better.... educated? Maybe. That never means more intelligent. Gates, Steve Jobs, Larry Ellison from Oracle, and Michael Dell are all college dropouts.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:47 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,471,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
SaintLaurent, you and Futurecop need to stop all of your LA bashing. It's completing nauseating and juvenile. I know Futurecop, by his own admission, is a teenager, but you guys are out of control. LOL

Besides what you say or think won't change anything. I'm glad you love NY so much. But, really, who cares? Trust me, Los Angeles and its native residents have no desire whatsover to become New York. Why on earth would they? The very idea is abhorrent. As it is to most Americans. Nobody wants their city or hometown to become like New York. Please.

Also milquetoast is right about LA having the most Brits of any American city/metro area.

See page 11 of the attached report on British expats in the U.S. Most of them reside in California with the greatest cocentration of them in LA and then SF. The rest are mostly dispersed in small towns and suburban areas across the country.

http://www.arts.ubc.ca/fileadmin/template/main/images/departments/soci/faculty/roth/RothNewAmericansUKarticle.pdf (broken link)
Yes, to most Americans it is very abhorrent... That's why we ar the most appealing city to live in according to numerous international and national surveys. Of course, you'll get those soccer moms who want LA or Tampa, but when it comes to college grads and business executives, NYC is the place to be.

LA does want to be like NYC. They're trying to do what we've already accomplished, but can't seem to get a grip on it. Examples are controlled population, public transportation and crime. Why can't they do it? Because this is New York fricking City! We can do anything we want! Your city gov't is trying to shape itself after NYC.

Who cares if you have Brits? You also have the greatest number of illegals. Brits are no greater than the Japanese, Italians, Africans, or Arabs that NYC holds so much. We have just enough of each ethnicity, which makes us the most diverse city in the world. Are you that desperate that you need to bring pointless claims like that up?

And please, you'll sit here and back Milky and his ridiculous comments up, helping him TRY to bash NYC, but when we defend NYC and get back at you all you do is point at us and scold us for "bashing" LA... Puhlease.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:31 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,011,378 times
Quote:
This quote will help to explain why

"In 1982, Los Angeles County was a hub of manufacturing, entertainment and financial services. By 2000, only the entertainment industry remained an economic force"

http://www.laeconomyproject.com/laep_exec_summary.pdf
Is that all you are going on? That's a very weak explanation to the question. Also if a greater number of corporate HQs means a smaller manufacturing based economy, then you just disproved your own argument because Chicago, which has a lot of corporate HQs, has the second largest manufacturing base in the U.S.

That's why I told you earlier I place little value in written opinions and surveys. People can spin information however they want. The fact is LA remains the nation's leader in manufacturing followed by Chicago. And in financial services, LA's output and labor force exceeds Chicago's according to the Bureau of Economic Analysis.

GDP by Metropolitan Area (millions of current dollars) in Finance and Insurance and Financial Activities for 2005

Finance and Insurance
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA (MSA) 48,249
Chicago-Naperville-Joliet, IL-IN-WI (MSA) 44,895

Financial Activities
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA (MSA) 163,980
Chicago-Naperville-Joliet, IL-IN-WI (MSA) 110,543

Bureau of Economic Analysis

Old 11-05-2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Yes, to most Americans it is very abhorrent...
Indeed it is.

Quote:
LA does want to be like NYC. They're trying to do what we've already accomplished, but can't seem to get a grip on it. Examples are controlled population, public transportation and crime. Why can't they do it? Because this is New York fricking City! We can do anything we want! Your city gov't is trying to shape itself after NYC.
In your imagination. That's why Bloomberg attended Villaraigosa's inauguration and begged for a front row seat and personal meeting afterward.

Quote:
Who cares if you have Brits? You also have the greatest number of illegals. Brits are no greater than the Japanese, Italians, Africans, or Arabs that NYC holds so much. We have just enough of each ethnicity, which makes us the most diverse city in the world. Are you that desperate that you need to bring pointless claims like that up?
And thanks to your wacky governor our country will now have even more! Driver licenses for illegals. Another brilliant public policy idea out of New York. Gee, thanks.

Quote:
And please, you'll sit here and back Milky and his ridiculous comments up, helping him TRY to bash NYC, but when we defend NYC and get back at you all you do is point at us and scold us for "bashing" LA... Puhlease.
What? Milky doesn 't need my help. He paddles you quite well on his own and keeps you cryin.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:34 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,732,205 times
No. saying LA is fifth in the U.S for Fortune 500 headquarters just to support the point that LA has a manufacturing based economy. The main point is that many major industries and global corportations are not based in LA.

Talk about stats? I already cited an example to show that you posted stats without knowing what those stats really mean. You don't even know about FDI and what it does. By reading your arguments I could figure out why.

Again,all of these analysis were written by the California based economic think tank group & Los Angeles Allience for a New Economy organization in 2007.

"The Los Angeles Economy Project is an undertaking of the Milken Institute in collaboration with the Economic Roundtable, Los Angeles Mayor's Office, Workforce Investment Board and Los Angeles Department of Water and Power."

"In 1982, Los Angeles County was a hub of manufacturing, entertainment and financial services. By 2000, only the entertainment industry remained an economic force"

"The rise in low-wage jobs is likely to continue; half the occupations with the most projected new jobs pay low wages"

One of the chief causes of Los Angeles’ woes is an economy that produces too many low-wage jobs."

Indeed, L.A.'s status as one of the nation's capitals of economic deprivation remains unchanged, with nearly 40 percent of the county's residents unable to meet their basic needs, close to one third of full-time workers earning less than $25,000 a year and more than 20 percent of children living in extreme poverty.

Yeah...LA is the leader in financial services??...what a joke. Again, as I said from time to time, you posted stats but you did not even know what they really mean.

http://www.laeconomyproject.com/laep_exec_summary.pdf
Poverty, Jobs and the Los Angeles Economy 2007 (http://www.laane.org/research/los_angeles_economy_2007.html - broken link)

Quote:
Is that all you are going on? That's a very weak explanation to the question. Also if a greater number of corporate HQs means a smaller manufacturing based economy, then you just disproved your own argument because Chicago, which has a lot of corporate HQs, has the second largest manufacturing base in the U.S.

That's why I told you earlier I place little value in written opinions and surveys. People can spin information however they want. The fact is LA remains the nation's leader in manufacturing followed by Chicago. And in financial services, LA's output and labor force exceeds Chicago's according to the Bureau of Economic Analysis.

GDP by Metropolitan Area (millions of current dollars) in Finance and Insurance and Financial Activities for 2005

Finance and Insurance

Financial Activities

Last edited by downtown1; 11-05-2007 at 04:47 PM..

Old 11-05-2007, 05:08 PM

Quote:
No. saying LA is fifth in the U.S for Fortune 500 headquarters just to prove the point that LA has a manufacturing based economy. The main point is that many major industries and global corportations are not based in LA.
This does not prove anything. You have yet to logically explain the correlation between number of Fortune 500 corporate HQs and the size of a metro's manufacturing base.

Quote:
Talk about stats? I already cited an example to show that you posted stats without knowing what those stats really mean. You don't even know about FDI and what it does. By reading your arguments I could figure out why.
I haven't been arguing anything. I have just been posting stats, that you clearly find objectionable. The truth is the truth. Here's all of the stats I have referenced along with their source:

Gross Regional Product (2006 in $ billions)
New York $1,048
Los Angeles $665
Chicago $453

Percent growth in GRP 2000-2006
U.S. 15%
Los Angeles 14%
New York 11%
Chicago 8%

Private sector job growth 2000-2006

Los Angeles 134,400
New York 600
Chicago -63,800

http://www.worldbusinesschicago.com/...go_economy.pdf (broken link)

Number of 25 plus year olds who hold a bachelor's degree
New York 3.8 million
Los Angeles 2.2 million
Chicago 1.8 million
Wash., D.C. 1.5 million

http://www.worldbusinesschicago.com/..._education.pdf (broken link)

US Metro Areas by Graduate Degrees, 2007 American Factfinder

New York 2,082,537
Washington DC 1,026,501
Los Angeles 1,016,776
San Francisco 775,535
Chicago 740,960
Boston 636,587
Philadelphia 465,673
Atlanta 381,390
Detroit 373,203
Dallas 356,438
Houston 316,430

Number of major publicly traded companies in top U.S. metros
New York 203
LA 101
Chicago 93
Houston 76

http://www.worldbusinesschicago.com/...go_economy.pdf (broken link)

Manufacturing GRP for LA and Chicago in 2005 in millions

LA 59,437
Chicago 57,559

BEA: Regional Economic Accounts

So tell me what these stats really mean to you. Since you are the expert around here.

Quote:
Yeah...LA is the leader in financial services??...what a joke. Again, as I said from time to time, you posted stats but you did not even know what they really mean.
I did not say LA was the leader in financial services, I said "in financial services, LA's output and labor force exceeds Chicago's according to the Bureau of Economic Analysis."

Finance and Insurance

Financial Activities

If you don't like these numbers or wish to dispute them, write the federal government or organize a march in protest.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:04 PM

646 posts, read 805,725 times
I thought too, corporations to a large extent in LA are not so financially run by domestic financial centers (but it's hard to say anymore since banks are so globalized themselves) but is more oriented to financial institutions in Tokyo, Seoul, Hong Kong, Frankfurt, etc. rather than NY so much, or definitely by Chicago.

People also seem to forget that outside NYC, Charlotte, NC is the largest banking center in the US, home of now BofA, Wachovia, and some more.

In the new economies, there are a number of financial centers that are new practicing various areas of credit and finance. HSBC and others in Nevada, CIT in Utah, South Dakota for Citibank and operations in Des Moines, and Minneapolis is quite a financial center as is Richmond, VA. (Capital One)

Anywhere having a Federal Reserve bank like Atlanta, Richmond, MInneapolis, SF, tend to be financial centers. Anomalies to this are Charlotte, but it's wedged between two on the Fed Reserve system, Richmond/Atlanta and Nevada/Utah wedged between Denver and SF as Fed Res Centers.

IN the new economy technology has vastly enabled new financial centers to emerge since deregulation of the banking industry that once was almost exclusively centered in a few areas, i.e. NY, Chicago, Phila, SF for the West. Foreign owned and int'l banks presence in the US and globalization have only accelerated the trend in redistributing power and wealth across the US, especially the South and West.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:40 PM

646 posts, read 805,725 times
So what. Of course, practically every company in America has operations in LA, which contradicts your earlier point about LA lacking "brainpower." If such a claim made any sense those companies would not invest so heavily in having LA offices.>>

Again I think people are confusing metro areas with stand alone cities. Perhaps on a metro scale, a vast one LA has, it may be true per capita.

Also per capita usually DC metro is always the highest in ed attainment, so many govt jobs require at least a BA, it's also a tech/regulation and business/litigation and publishing center and a financial center of a different sort, i.e. the World Bank, the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and so on. Every bank in the world wants an office in DC or one of its suburbs. DC is office tower city because of it just like every country in the world wants an embassy there for political/economic influence in US markets.

Also, since I live in NYC at the moment Urban Studies have shown via demo studies at school, what good sometimes is having degrees stats or ed attainment when in a city such as NY 25% of the homeless have been shown to hold B.A.'s?? LOL!!

Last edited by StuyTownRefugee; 11-05-2007 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 11-05-2007, 07:15 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,471,742 times
Quote:
Indeed it is.

In your imagination. That's why Bloomberg attended Villaraigosa's inauguration and begged for a front row seat and personal meeting afterward.

And thanks to your wacky governor our country will now have even more! Driver licenses for illegals. Another brilliant public policy idea out of New York. Gee, thanks.

What? Milky doesn 't need my help. He paddles you quite well on his own and keeps you cryin.
Oh, really? I’ve got 23 million people and the world behind me that’ll disagree with you on that one. Surely, you’ve met the billions of Earth’s inhabitants in your lifetime… Man, you really do get around.

Villaraigosa has a high maturity level compared to the rest of his Angeleno peers. They will get along, as they are true heads of two significant cities, NYC being the leader. And according to this, your LA mayor basically bows down in the presence of Bloomberg… Hell, even Schwarzenegger is praising our mayor!
Political Radar: Bloomberg: Washington is 'Cowering in the Back of the Room'

Funny how you can sit here and blame New York for your problems. Maybe if your border patrol ran a little better this illegal immigration problem wouldn’t be such a big problem, now would it?

Keeps me “cryin,” huh? Yeah, maybe you should take a look over at SSC, pay a nice little visit and see who the real crybaby is here, my friend. We’ve been getting to him so much on this site that he vents over there.

Take a good step into reality, man. Take a nice, long look at what Hollywood has done to America... Maybe then Los Angeles will wae up from that valleey girl dream and experience reality. And if you want to argue popular culture, the East is running that ****, man. NYC, Atlanta, New Orleans, and Miami are RUNNING IT. And to mention our leadership in fashion… Sean John, G-Unit, Tommy Hilfiger, Eddie Bauer, etc… What does LA have? All-Star shoes that are popular among emos, now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.