Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2012, 01:43 PM

121 posts, read 209,479 times

Advertisements

I currently live in the heart of the Midwest and don't feel I belong here. The main issues for me are that it's not very diverse and not very inclusive of the those who are different, such as myself. Of the places I've visited, I've felt the Bay Area has the diverse and welcoming vibe I seek. However, I want to get your opinion on if there are other places worth considering (especially since the housing situation in Bay Area is insane right now). Thanks for your time.

Let me cite a review of Berkeley from another site, which describes the kind of inclusiveness that appeals to me:

Quote:
What is truly amazing about Berkeley is that you can just be whoever you are and no one gives a ****. You can wear whatever you want, pierce whatever you want, cut your hair however you want, and no one will look twice, and you will still get that job at the coffee shop.

Wanna wear your smelly dreads and a business suit at the same time?
Come to Berkeley.
Wanna hold your partner’s hand in the streets without being glared at?
Come to Berkeley.
Want to attend all your classes in the nude?
Come to Berkeley.
Want to operate a solar-powered DJ booth out of a shopping cart which also houses all of your belongings?
Come to Berkeley.
Whoever you are, come to Berkeley, and just be your goddamn self for once.
A little bit about me: The 2 defining attributes are that I'm Asian (Chinese) and gay. It's important to me that wherever I live is big in both of those areas. Other than that, I'm a 28 year old liberal guy. Like outdoor activities.

So, in your experience, are there other cities that have the kind of inclusiveness described by the reviewer above, where people from all walks of life can happily co-exist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 01:53 PM

92,303 posts, read 122,573,532 times
Ithaca NY: Visit Ithaca, NY - Official Site for Ithaca, NY & Tompkins County It is a small city that is about 17% Asian and is gay friendly.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:13 PM

2,514 posts, read 5,004,431 times
Look at Portland, OR.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:52 PM

121 posts, read 209,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Ithaca NY: Visit Ithaca, NY - Official Site for Ithaca, NY & Tompkins County It is a small city that is about 17% Asian and is gay friendly.
Thanks! Ithaca wasn't on my radar. Do you know if the 17% Asian is mostly students, or is it comparable among professionals as well?

Old 06-22-2012, 08:50 PM

92,303 posts, read 122,573,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiler View Post
Thanks! Ithaca wasn't on my radar. Do you know if the 17% Asian is mostly students, or is it comparable among professionals as well?
I think students inflate it a bit, but there is a legitimate Asian community there. I know that Asian students in the Ithaca City SD make up about 12-13% of that district's student population. Northeast Elementary in that district is around 33-38% Asian in recent years. Belle Sherman Elementary is around 24-26% Asian and Cayuga Heights Elementary is around 12-14% Asian. So, that shows that there is a legit Asian community there. Many are probably affiliated with Cornell University or Ithaca College, as well as some of the private companies there.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:52 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,819,190 times
Ha... Seattle would fit as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.