Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 06:24 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times

Advertisements

I'm really surprised with a lot of these answers. Some of the cities being named are absolutely beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 06:34 PM

232 posts, read 189,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevolsDance View Post
I'm here to vote for Houston. It's large, but so incredibly bland, even the public art feels neutral and boring.

My second vote would go to Charlotte for similar reasons.
I think Charlotte, as a whole, is quite beautiful.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:58 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Yikes..

Imagine what an International traveler must think when they see that?

I thought the new developments in MA were getting ugly. Limited trees, mcmansion homes. Here's one that was just completed locally: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.2250...7i13312!8i6656
I agree about Katy, TX. As for Westwood, MA, it appears that at least they are *trying*, unlike Katy.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:03 PM

2,068 posts, read 999,218 times
There's a beauty measure that's used at car shows.

"That's a 50 footer." "She's a 20 footer."

Cars look great from 50 feet or 20 feet, but you see all of the paint runs and poorly aligned seams on closer inspection.

Houston is like that. The skyline is beautiful viewed on approach to Hobby Airport or from 288 heading into downtown. Just don't get off the Pierce Elevated and venture into downtown.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:31 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Why do so many posters on this thread equate a city's visual appeal with its skyline? If that's the only criteria, then I suppose they'd judge Paris, London, and Washington DC as "visually boring"!
Well, first, I would never judge Paris, London and Washington DC as visually boring as they obviously have other attributes besides a tall skyline. Sacramento does not.

Old 10-13-2018, 11:03 AM

1,965 posts, read 1,267,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Why do so many posters on this thread equate a city's visual appeal with its skyline? If that's the only criteria, then I suppose they'd judge Paris, London, and Washington DC as "visually boring"!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Apparently they are compared to Houston
The same reason other posters equate beauty with whether or not the development is walkable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
jester is one of those Californians that hates his home but admires a state that is in many ways the polar opposite. Kind of weird.
Nope. If you hate something, you certainly are going to admire it's opposite, lol.

Last edited by kemahkami; 10-13-2018 at 11:19 AM..

Old 10-13-2018, 01:50 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
Most of the United States between the Rocky Mountains and the Appalachian Mountains and outside the Ozarks, the Texas Hill Country, and along the Atlantic and Gulf Coasts are not very scenic. Most people don't move to those areas for the scenery or the climate. They move there for the jobs or family ties.

I've always believed there's a reason why the Rust Belt developed in the area of the country that it did. If the US is going to have a "junk yard", it certainly will not be located in an area of the country that is full of breathtakingly beautiful scenic views.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:34 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Most of the United States between the Rocky Mountains and the Appalachian Mountains and outside the Ozarks, the Texas Hill Country, and along the Atlantic and Gulf Coasts are not very scenic. Most people don't move to those areas for the scenery or the climate. They move there for the jobs or family ties.

I've always believed there's a reason why the Rust Belt developed in the area of the country that it did. If the US is going to have a "junk yard", it certainly will not be located in an area of the country that is full of breathtakingly beautiful scenic views.
That is an interesting theory, but I don't agree with it. The Rust Belt developed due to access to railroads and shipping access. Cities like Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit, and Chicago had tremendous access to the early 20th century industrial revolution. They were all primed to become areas that could receive and outflow raw materials to the rest of the country. But it had nothing to do with scenery, it had everything to do with location.

That said, scenery probably HAS slowed some growth in those areas. However, it didn't stop Seattle, Los Angeles, the Bay Area, Denver, and other scenic areas from becoming important manufacturing areas.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:52 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
Quote:

You should read up on the shocking amount of pollution in the Rockies due to mining. Crystal clear streams my ass.

And while we're on the topic, The NW "coast" of Lower Michigan is simply gorgeous. Benzie, Leelanau, Grand Traverse, Antrim, Charlevoix, and Emmet Counties are some of my favorite places.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:20 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,117,737 times
Quote:
You do realize that much of the Rust Belt extends through West Virginia, PA, and upstate NY, which includes a large chunk of the Appalachian Mountains and valleys. Take a drive through Western and Central PA and you'll find dystopian towns surrounded by gorgeous scenery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.