Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 06:07 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times

Advertisements

Went to Waffle house twice.. Once in Ohio and once in VA I believe. Was very underwhelmed and they were filthy.. filthier than the diners I was used to.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:12 PM

189 posts, read 399,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohazco View Post
I like Waffle House. We went all the time in college at Ohio State, it is very popular there. I guess I'm a "yankee", I don't know I was born in 1985 not 1861 .
You'll be happy to know that a Waffle House just opened across the street from the Ohio Union.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:39 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,212,438 times
I like them as far as chain places go. They're actually some up in Yankee territory these days. I have seen them in Ohio and PA.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:36 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
I have eaten at a Waffle House before and it wasn't a very good experience. I believe it was in the Cumberland region of Tennessee.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:38 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,876,908 times
I've found that most Waffle Houses I've been to seem pretty dirty, but I don't mind. The love affair I've seen Southerners have with Waffle House oddly enough reminds me of the love affair people from the Philly area such as myself have with Wawa. Overall, Waffle House to me is always a beacon of light when I'm in a rural, unknown area. Sure, I definitely get a lot of looks (I'm not white or black) but people are nice enough.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:36 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
I like waffle house, and I live in the north. (Michigan) Some northern states have waffle house, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois for sure. Ive never seen one in the yankee northeast though, so most people out there likely do not know what waffle house is. Whenever I go to the south I go to waffle house at least once, its just part of going there. Good cheap food, nice people etc. I think they call the big breakfast the all star right??? Waffles, hash browns eggs bacon and grits. Yea now Im hungry. Maybe Ill drive down to Indiana, thats my closest one lol

Old 06-26-2012, 09:52 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
I'm from Maryland, so I don't know if i count as a "yankee", but I love the waffle house.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:55 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
I've lived in Georgia since 1994(I'm 26 now) and I don't like Waffle House. I don't like the food there. At least around Marietta(suburb of Atlanta), there is the Marietta Diner. I would rather spend a few more dollars and get ALOT of better quality food.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:37 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,977,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohazco View Post
I like Waffle House. We went all the time in college at Ohio State, it is very popular there. I guess I'm a "yankee", I don't know I was born in 1985 not 1861 .
There's still a major cultural divide. Are you denying that? Southern culture, in my opinion, is a lot more humble and appreciative of simple things. Humility is a big part of their culture. Yankees, on the other hand, tend to be snotty, dismissive of things they think are below them, and it almost seems like they can sometimes be afraid to enjoy something simple in fear of appearing unsophisticated. An excellent and undeniable example is to look at highly-educated professionals in the South and Texas. Many aren't also afraid to get their hands dirty and have more rural interests and hobbies, like hunting and fishing, that Yankee culture snubs and looks down on. Southerners know that having certain hobbies, likes, and being themselves doesn't make them lesser than. It's just a movie, but I think Sweet Home Alabama illustrates the cultural differences to which I'm referring. While Yankees may think of themselves as more cultured, I think Southerners truly are. They are a people with a culture about them. Yankees can be pretty homogenous and beige and have to piggy back on ethnic minority cultures, unless they are part of one of the minority cultures.

It may be difficult to understand, but I believe what I've just said ties into the Waffle House thing. I live in Kansas City and haven't been to a Waffle House since I was small while visiting Arkansas, but I think I could probably appreciate the place for what it is. Unfortunately, I think a lot of Yankees wouldn't give the place a fair chance because of preconceived notions and associations with all things many snotty Yankees snub - and those are Southern, rural, blue-collar, corporate.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:45 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
There's still a major cultural divide. Are you denying that? Southern culture, in my opinion, is a lot more humble and appreciative of simple things. Humility is a big part of their culture. Yankees, on the other hand, tend to be snotty, dismissive of things they think are below them, and it almost seems like they can sometimes be afraid to enjoy something simple in fear of appearing unsophisticated. An excellent and undeniable example is to look at highly-educated professionals in the South and Texas. Many aren't also afraid to get their hands dirty and have more rural interests and hobbies, like hunting and fishing, that Yankee culture snubs and looks down on. Southerners know that having certain hobbies, likes, and being themselves doesn't make them lesser than. It's just a movie, but I think Sweet Home Alabama illustrates the cultural differences to which I'm referring. While Yankees may think of themselves as more cultured, I think Southerners truly are. They are a people with a culture about them. Yankees can be pretty homogenous and beige and have to piggy back on ethnic minority cultures, unless they are part of one of the minority cultures.

It may be difficult to understand, but I believe what I've just said ties into the Waffle House thing. I live in Kansas City and haven't been to a Waffle House since I was small while visiting Arkansas, but I think I could probably appreciate the place for what it is. Unfortunately, I think a lot of Yankees wouldn't give the place a fair chance because of preconceived notions and associations with all things many snotty Yankees snub - and those are Southern, rural, blue-collar, corporate.
I don't know. I've met quite a few northerners who are educated, and appreciate things like hunting and fishing. It depends on who you talk to. And a city like New York represents what America has always been about. People coming from alot of different places and making America home. That in itself made places like New York and Chicago very different from the Deep South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.