U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 02:19 PM

3,528 posts, read 2,914,570 times

Advertisements

There really is good in any area in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 01:52 PM

1,818 posts, read 1,563,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
Oh, geez. This again?

I spent most of my life in Eastern Nebraska and now I live in Western South Dakota. I can always find something interesting to do. If you bother to get off the interstates, you will see the entire states are not flat, endless plains. However, I do enjoy the plains. It makes for fantastic storm watching.
I spent 25 years in Nebraska and I do think it is the correct answer to the OP. Sure, you can find "always find something to do" anywhere on the planet. But there's a whole lot more to do in most other places.

Kansas and Oklahoma are probably equally dull, though.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:17 PM

5,208 posts, read 3,181,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
I spent 25 years in Nebraska and I do think it is the correct answer to the OP. Sure, you can find "always find something to do" anywhere on the planet. But there's a whole lot more to do in most other places.

Kansas and Oklahoma are probably equally dull, though.
Only if one is a boring person.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:58 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,505,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Iowa, Kansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota. I am not a big fan of endless plains.

I would love to live in Maine though ! And Alaska and Wyoming would not be too bad.
To each their own but Oklahoma and south Dakota are far from endless plains
. Ozarks and ouachita mountains for Oklahoma and black hills and badlands for SD.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:11 PM

6,628 posts, read 5,746,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knrstz View Post
To each their own but Oklahoma and south Dakota are far from endless plains
They're not?

Old 06-30-2012, 07:19 PM

949 posts, read 783,167 times
Delaware, Mississippi, North Dakota (NOTHING IS IN ND), Vermont, utah

Why i find these states boring:

Delaware if it was the size of a average state in pop. (5 milllion) it would be more interesting but places like Mississippi are close to that average and are as boring as hell. Only thing to do in Mississippi is look at civil war sites and thats it.

And North Dakota is the worst state on this list for boredom. Think of something in North Dakota that doesnt involve Prairie or farming. The geographical and demographics of the state are so ******* bland. And for some reason ND thinks its better than SD. What BS. SD has sioux falls, black hills and mount rushmore. The parks in ND may be good but every state in the country has parks some better than ND.

I found utah to be lacking vibrancy.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:43 PM

1,818 posts, read 1,563,224 times
Utah has some of the most spectacular scenery in the country, though. It's a mecca for rock climbing, hiking, skiing, snowboarding, mountain biking, extreme sports, etc. Plus they have the Sundance & Slamdance film festivals every year. I wouldn't call that boring. North Dakota though...

Old 06-30-2012, 08:02 PM

343 posts, read 357,804 times
I believe there is something unique in any area of the country, and if you are willing to venture off the interstate and talk to folks, you can have a blast anywhere. I had the time of my life in western South Dakota and loved every bit of it. For me, it's all about the people you meet. I walked into a roadside bar that looked like a complete dump on the outside, but my dad and I went in there and started talking to the workers inside and struck up a great conversation about well...just about everything. You would have thought that we'd all been friends forever.

Sure, the plains can seem endless and "boring." But the reverse is true: although a city has plenty to do and see, it's hard to make more than superficial contact with people and they can be very lonely places. I love the community and familiarity that people have with one another in Middle America. I am sure it is like this in plenty of other American small towns and cities, but these "flyover states" are gems if you look hard enough.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:51 PM

12,439 posts, read 12,471,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
Why i find these states boring:
Delaware if it was the size of a average state in pop. (5 milllion) it would be more interesting .
One of the most whack arguments I've ever seen on this forum. Have you ever been to Delaware or just pulling that out of your butt?

Old 07-01-2012, 12:29 AM

1,270 posts, read 1,211,785 times
Wyoming (take away Yellowstone and Grand Teton) and it didn't appeal to me at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.