U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What part of the US has the worst weather?
the Northeast 51 11.92%
the Midwest 150 35.05%
the South 127 29.67%
the Rockies 10 2.34%
the Southwest 42 9.81%
the Pacific Northwest 33 7.71%
California 15 3.50%
Voters: 428. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 03:41 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,417,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat View Post
I can't speak for Wyoming and Montana but for Colorado this isn't exactly a fair statement. Along the Front Range where most people live in CO, the weather is quite nice. It is possible for snow to occur quite late but it is rare. Also, the weather is highly varied, especially in the winter. It is quite common to see days in January around 60 degrees and bright sunshine. People make statements like yours making it seem like snow falls continuously for nine months of the year. It's just not true. Sunny with occasional snows is a more realistic way to visualize the weather.

I voted California. Many think it is paradise and I understand why. I lived in Los Angeles area but didn't like the weather. No variety. It does rain some in the winter but can go like six months in the summer without any at all. I remember Subway offering discounts of half off in the summer if it was raining. Nice gimmick since it never happened. The Santa Ana winds kinda suck too but they don't last long. Most of the time the weather is beautiful but just no variety. I really missed it. Plus, I LOVE thunderstorms.
And what about the rest of CA? There are certainly other areas with much more variety than LA.

That's why I don't get the votes for CA, it arguably has more climates to choose from than any other area in the country. There is no such thing as "California" weather really as it depends on what part of the state you're talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 03:45 PM

1,567 posts, read 2,082,349 times
I've lived in every part of the continental united states except the northeast. I think it all depends on the person, but for me the pacific northwest was the worst. I can't handle that much overcast weather. Portland OR is by far the worst place I've ever lived simply due to the awful weather.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:01 PM

2,769 posts, read 2,495,000 times
Probably Alaska LOL. Even being from Washington, I'm not sure if I could take the cold for so long.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:07 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,759,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
True. Most people who live in South Florida spend their lives behind air conditioned windows, looking out. I don't know why people think South Florida has good weather when its weather is atrocious.
While South Florida has miserable summers, what seperates South Florida from virtually every city/region in the US(outside the West-coast) is that South Florida has tolerable comfy winters. In the Northeast and Midwest you'll get the worst of both worlds. Ice, Blizzards, or N'oreasters in the winter, then Urban Heat Island Effect and deathly(There are some literally KILLER heatwaves up North) humidity in the summer. Also, the sea breeze in Coastal South Florida helps to simmer down the extreme Heat in Inland South Florida. South Florida's extreme weather only tilts towards heat, but up North you get both extremes.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:10 PM

7,315 posts, read 5,541,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
While South Florida has miserable summers, what seperates South Florida from virtually every city/region in the US(outside the West-coast) is that South Florida has tolerable comfy winters. In the Northeast and Midwest you'll get the worst of both worlds. Ice, Blizzards, or N'oreasters in the winter, then Urban Heat Island Effect and deathly(There are some literally KILLER heatwaves up North) humidity in the summer. Also, the sea breeze in Coastal South Florida helps to simmer down the extreme Heat in Inland South Florida. South Florida's extreme weather only tilts towards heat, but up North you get both extremes.
I lived in Miami for years, and spent many Decembers and Januarys inside A-C or sweating up a storm outside. It's a bit depressing to have no winter, and almost no fall, then have this huge summer of heat, rain and vapor. I'd spend maybe February in Miami, but no more months than that, and even that one is iffy. I find the change of seasons to be awesome and renewing. Everything feels new. The almost year-long heat and vapor depressed me intensely.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:17 PM

654 posts, read 1,294,690 times
Miami and Honolulu have the best weather b/c they both have year round warm climate: Miami is tropical climate while Honolulu is a hot steppe climate.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:20 PM

654 posts, read 1,294,690 times
Miami's summer climate is underrated. Miami gets alot of sea breeze that moderates the temperatures. It's not like NOLA, or Dallas, or even the Everglades where there is absolutely no breeze.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:42 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,759,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I lived in Miami for years, and spent many Decembers and Januarys inside A-C or sweating up a storm outside. It's a bit depressing to have no winter, and almost no fall, then have this huge summer of heat, rain and vapor. I'd spend maybe February in Miami, but no more months than that, and even that one is iffy. I find the change of seasons to be awesome and renewing. Everything feels new. The almost year-long heat and vapor depressed me intensely.
I don't remeber too many days in which I was outside or inside sweating up a storm. Hell, some folks hate the fact that South Florida get's bombarded by a brief cold snap once every 2 years. It just doesn't get that hot in the winter. Heck, it's 73 degrees in Miami as we speak(with light-rain of course). Even then most folks spend their time on the breezy coast where the Heat is mediated. On the flipside, the change of seasons isn't as smooth in other parts of the country. Going from a distructive hurricane in the fall, to freezing temps and blizzards in the winter seems kinda miserable to me.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:15 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,417,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canefandynasty View Post
Miami and Honolulu have the best weather b/c they both have year round warm climate: Miami is tropical climate while Honolulu is a hot steppe climate.
Acutally it's a TROPICAL SAVANNAH climate, you are WAYYYY off.

Honolulu is going to be warmer in winter too, you don't have to worry about cold snaps like in Miami.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:38 PM

7,315 posts, read 5,541,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canefandynasty View Post
Miami is a nightmare. I don't know about Hawaii, but people in Miami spend almost all their times in a-c environments - inside their car, inside a mall, inside work, inside their home. It's sweltering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.