U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What part of the US has the worst weather?
the Northeast 51 11.92%
the Midwest 150 35.05%
the South 127 29.67%
the Rockies 10 2.34%
the Southwest 42 9.81%
the Pacific Northwest 33 7.71%
California 15 3.50%
Voters: 428. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 05:41 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,759,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Miami is a nightmare. I don't know about Hawaii, but people in Miami spend almost all their times in a-c environments - inside their car, inside a mall, inside work, inside their home. It's sweltering.
How's that any worse than spending all winter couped up in heated places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 05:46 PM

7,315 posts, read 5,541,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
How's that any worse than spending all winter couped up in heated places?
Winter doesn't last all year up north. I've been up north when it's been burning up in summer, wearing no sleeves, shorts and sandals, I've been up north when it's sweater weather and the leaves are falling, I've been up north when it's spring and there's some rain and blooming going on.

However, in Miami, it's sweltering 10 months out of the year, and the remaining two (January and February) are often nightmarishly hot. I've been there lots of Christmases with full-blast A-C, trying to pretend it's really "winter" and sweating like a horse outside. On Thanksgiving, one has to turn the A-C to 60 if one is going to make a turkey lol Miami is pure vapor, hot as blazes, hurricane-ridden, rainy, overcast in between sun, and just not nice at all. For someone that likes to be outside a lot of the time, it's just bad.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:59 PM

654 posts, read 1,294,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Acutally it's a TROPICAL SAVANNAH climate, you are WAYYYY off.

Honolulu is going to be warmer in winter too, you don't have to worry about cold snaps like in Miami.
Honolulu gets < 20 in precipitation every season. It is too arid to become a true tropical wet and dry climate. Not saying it's desert either. The best way to describe Honolulu would be hot steppe.

And yes, Miami gets cold snaps, but it's exaggerated. A typical day in Miami in January is 76 F w/ a night of 63 F with a deviation of 5 degrees (give or take),

Old 03-22-2013, 06:02 PM

654 posts, read 1,294,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Winter doesn't last all year up north. I've been up north when it's been burning up in summer, wearing no sleeves, shorts and sandals, I've been up north when it's sweater weather and the leaves are falling, I've been up north when it's spring and there's some rain and blooming going on.

However, in Miami, it's sweltering 10 months out of the year, and the remaining two (January and February) are often nightmarishly hot. I've been there lots of Christmases with full-blast A-C, trying to pretend it's really "winter" and sweating like a horse outside. On Thanksgiving, one has to turn the A-C to 60 if one is going to make a turkey lol Miami is pure vapor, hot as blazes, hurricane-ridden, rainy, overcast in between sun, and just not nice at all. For someone that likes to be outside a lot of the time, it's just bad.
I agree. Miami can be hot in January/February. Miami's January average temps for 2013 was higher than Honolulu.

Miami: 80 HIGH 67 LOW
Honolulu: 79 HIGH 66 LOW

Old 03-22-2013, 06:22 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,417,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canefandynasty View Post
Honolulu gets < 20 in precipitation every season. It is too arid to become a true tropical wet and dry climate. Not saying it's desert either. The best way to describe Honolulu would be hot steppe.

No, and that's probably why NO ONE describes Honolulu like that, just you and as far as I can tell you're not a climatologist nor any type of expert on this subjec. It's classified as a TROPICAL SAVANNAH climate. Plus unlike Miami, there is a lot more variation in temperature and rainfall in and around Honolulu.

Honolulu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nowhere in Hawaii is classified as a hot steppe climate, not sure why you continue to try to perpeuate this myth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ko...ld_Map_BSh.png
Quote:
And yes, Miami gets cold snaps, but it's exaggerated. A typical day in Miami in January is 76 F w/ a night of 63 F with a deviation of 5 degrees (give or take)
It's hard for me to consider a place that can drop into the 30's and 40's "tropical", something Honolulu has NEVER experienced.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:24 PM

226 posts, read 207,467 times
Here in DFW area this time of year sometimes you have to turn the AC on and the heat on in the same day.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:33 PM

654 posts, read 1,615,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
And what about the rest of CA? There are certainly other areas with much more variety than LA.

That's why I don't get the votes for CA, it arguably has more climates to choose from than any other area in the country. There is no such thing as "California" weather really as it depends on what part of the state you're talking about.
Nice rant but the overwhelming number of Californians live in the monotonous weather regions of LA or SD, the slightly warmer version in the Inland Empire, or the slightly cooler version of the Bay Area. My apologies to those readers on here living in Death Valley or around Donner Pass.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:00 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,265,222 times
Houston weather is miserably hot and humid about 5-6 months of the year and rainy and humid for about four months. Then, for a month or so on either side of summer, it is glorious. But that's just not enough. I vote Houston.

Oh, and big laughs to the SAn Francisco weather bashers. SF has some of the most agreeable, pleasant weather in the world. 6 months of Spring-like sunshine with zero rain. Two months of Warm Indian Summer, and four months of chilly Fall, with occasional light rain. No damaging storms. No freezing temps. A good, cool breeze every afternoon. Abundant sunshine throughout the year.

People hear about The Sunset and Pacifica and think that's all of SF. They're wrong.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:31 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,417,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat View Post
Nice rant but the overwhelming number of Californians live in the monotonous weather regions of LA or SD, the slightly warmer version in the Inland Empire, or the slightly cooler version of the Bay Area. My apologies to those readers on here living in Death Valley or around Donner Pass.
Your point being? You could live in other parts of CA that don't have the monotonous coastal weather was my point. And even then some people prefer Bay Area weather over LA/SD weather because it does rain more and have more variety. Just pointing out there are a of areas in CA w/o LA weather.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:16 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,045,063 times
Oklahoma. The only nice part of the year is probably Late September through early November. Winters are too cold for comfort, summers typically average above 110 degrees for two months straight, and in the spring you are under the tornado gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.