Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What part of the US has the worst weather?
the Northeast 61 10.66%
the Midwest 208 36.36%
the South 174 30.42%
the Rockies 14 2.45%
the Southwest 52 9.09%
the Pacific Northwest 45 7.87%
California 18 3.15%
Voters: 572. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 09:54 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Funny, there are folks who don't even consider Miami tropical. Miami get's cold snaps almost anually, yet you say that it's blazing 10 out 12 months of the year? C'mon!!!
You're kidding me. When? I lived there about 10 years total and my coat usually consisted of a sweater, a light one, which I was delighted to pull out, but generally couldn't because it was vaporous and sweltering!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Winter didn't arrive in the eastern United States until mid-January, and it's not staying until mid-July.

This exactly. Variety is the spice of life.

I enjoy that first burst of warmth in mid- to late March that wakes all the plants and animals up, and the dry warmth of April and early May. I enjoy that first day in late June or early July when I walk outside and feel the heat radiating up from the ground. With that said, I also enjoy that first evening in September when the air mass isn't so humid, and the temperature drops a bit lower than before. It feels nice and fresh. And that crisp chill in the air around Thanksgiving lets me know that the holiday season is upon us. And those winter weekends with cool temperatures, low clouds and steady rain/drizzle are easy on the eyes, and they give me an excuse to stay inside and relax.

You can't appreciate sunshine without clouds and rain, and you can't appreciate warm weather without cold weather.
Yes! I love newness. It's like doing spring cleaning, or painting the house - the differences in the seasons are such a relief!

Old 03-23-2013, 11:23 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I handled it just fine. I was just asking the question, because you claim weather you admit is "mild" and "pleasant" is among the "worst," but only in a response to one of my posts. You didn't say it "wasn't to your liking". You said "among my worst". I even acknowledged that not everyone likes the same thing and that if SF wasn't your thing, so be it. I just found it a bit odd that you would come up with it being "among your worst" in response to one of my posts, rather than as your own assertion.

As for my being ashamed of Texas, it's quite the opposite. I'm a native and love Texas. The weather is another thing, though. I lived in Texas nearly all my life. I have had insurance companies as my clients and have seen the damage storms in Texas have done to people's lives. I have lived through evacuations and hits from a minor hurricane that left me without power or fresh water in sweltering heat and mosquitoes for 14 days. I've seen winter storms shut down the entire city of Houston with freeways encased in 1/4 inch of solid ice and people killed in the traffic collisions. I've seen months of 100+ heat without a drop of rain to the point that 2-inch thick concrete driveways crumble. Likewise, I've been stranded on small islands of high ground in the middle of what is supposed to be a major city, as floodwaters crested at the bottom of freeway overpasses and submerged buses and 18-wheelers. Termites, roaches, mosquitoes and fire ants run rampant in all corners of the city. Mold and foundation settlement are major problems with many homes. And I lived in Houston pretty happily for over 20 years!

No, I am not biased against Houston. Its weather is the pits, though. The weather that most Houstonians tout on this board as their 4-week reward for enduring Houston's bad stuff is the weather San Francisco enjoys 9 months of the year.
I thought quoting your post was appropriate, since we're talking about the same cities. There was no alterior motive.

Good for those who enjoy this "4-week award"--though you're definitely understating that. Quite frankly, I'm not fond of the mildness of our winters, which is why I can freely admit that Houston doesn't have my favorite climate. For me, earthquakes are much scarier than storms, which have warnings.

I think bringing up the issue of race was rather childish and unnecessary, though.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:27 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times
Quote:
snip

You can't appreciate sunshine without clouds and rain, and you can't appreciate warm weather without cold weather.
I have to disagree with that. Well let me put it like this--having experienced cold and cloudy days and rain, I learned the difference and no longer need reminders. I like sunshine and I do not require cold, cloudy and rainy days AGAIN to appreciate sunshine and warm weather. Let it stay warm and sunny ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS and I'm a happy guy. Well, maybe have 1 or 2 cold, cloudy rainy days in a row, but then follow that with 9 months of consecutive warmth & sunshine before I see it again. I sure as heck don't want MONTHS of that.

To answer the "worst weather" question--I don't know if I would say a REGION, but basically these characteristics are what I want to avoid even if it means all but abandoning my own wife and kids to make it happen

*Springs that are schizophrenic. Cold one day, hot the next. Make up your stinking mind already! If the seasonal norm for that time of year is 75, then get up to 75. Period. Not 40 one day and 90 the next. 75. Every---single---day.

*Cloudy days. They're depressing, and even morally outrageous if you ask me. Either rain to provide for the need, or be sunny. Cloudy days are a waste (except maybe on days when it would otherwise be 97'F and brutal, they can provide relief). Fish or cut bait, go #2 or get off the pot. In other words--if it's cloudy, RAIN already, or get those stinking clouds out of here, now!!

I used to live in Tucson Arizona, and I have to say--I wanted to smack 90% of the people I met. Why? They grumbled about the weather more than anyone I ever knew. They wanted more rain--I'm like, it's the desert, it's not going to happen. Move to Seattle & shut up already. I LIKE it with minimal rain, that's why I moved there. Ditto cold temps--I moved there because I don't LIKE it cold, ever. If you want it cold, move to Alaska.

I thought it ridiculous that people chose to live there, or continue living there, and grumble about what was, to me anyway, paradise. (But then, I moved to eastern Texas and grumble about it constantly, so I guess I'm a hypocrite, ha ha.)

What really bugs me more than anything else--unseasonable weather, especially with regards to temperatures. You can tell me until you're blue in the fact that "norms" aren't really that but rather a statistical representation of 30 years of variation, but then if that's the case, why are they called "normal" temperatures? Why, when you have frost in Miami, do they make out about how strange that is if the normals don't matter?

Even though I don't like cold weather, I'm not one to complain about cold if I live somewhere where it's seasonable & typical for the region to have a full-blown winter. You can't chose to live in Alaska and demand Florida weather. You don't live in Florida and complain that you hate the absence of a full-blast winter.

But if the NORMS say that it's customary to have a cold winter & it's mild instead, to me that's wrong. It shouldn't do that. If you move to Phoenix because you read it gets 6 inches of rain a year and you like it that way, and it instead rains about 25 inches instead, that's just not right. If you hate hot summers so you move to an area where even in July the normal high is 85'F, but it gets up to 100'F, then to me that's just plain wrong. It's as if a promise is being broken.

Me: I like warm weather, and look at spring as the time when winter is sent packing, but yet you don't have to endure the 97'F and 80% humidity days just yet. Too often, here in eastern Texas, it does nothing of the sort. Rather than getting up to, say, 75'F as it's supposed to, instead it gets up to 85'F or so and then barely 2 days later forgets that winter is over and keeps regressing to what it was like in January. It's cloudy most times too, when it's not necessary because it's not hot yet, but then when it is hot in July, you're being fried, no cloud relief whatsoever.

Last edited by shyguylh; 03-23-2013 at 11:40 PM.. Reason: Clarification.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:32 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I thought quoting your post was appropriate, since we're talking about the same cities. There was no alterior motive.

Good for those who enjoy this "4-week award"--though you're definitely understating that. Quite frankly, I'm not fond of the mildness of our winters, which is why I can freely admit that Houston doesn't have my favorite climate. For me, earthquakes are much scarier than storms, which have warnings.

I think bringing up the issue of race was rather childish and unnecessary, though.
Why? It wasn't mentioned in a childish way. The only childish comment I read in our exchange was when you called me a "tip-rider".

Old 03-24-2013, 11:05 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Why? It wasn't mentioned in a childish way. The only childish comment I read in our exchange was when you called me a "tip-rider".
So you don't disagree that it was unnecessary.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:31 PM

541 posts, read 912,734 times
Quote:

When youre from Upstate NY, you dont need reminders.

Im ****ing sick of the cold climate.

At least 5 months of cold and CONSISTENT snow, day in and day out.

Clouds are constant as much if not more so, than the PNW.

Two cloudiest parts of the country, Upstate NY and the PNW.

Im done with it. Id prefer having no cold for the rest of my life. I dont need "reminders."

Old 03-24-2013, 12:47 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,229,273 times
Some people have brought up the threat of tornadoes for the MW. I think it's largely overblown. I live in Illinois and have never seen a tornado. In fact, I've been in more earthquakes than tornadoes.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:03 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
So you don't disagree that it was unnecessary.
Yes, I disagree that it was unnecessary.

I maintain that your statement that San Francisco weather is "among the worst in America in your opinion" is based on your dislike of SF's lacking a sizable black population and you are dodging my questioning that with name calling and by acting purposefully obtuse.

It's pretty clear to me that you had an alterior (sic) motive and I calmly called you out on it. You interpreted this as my not being able to "handle" your opinion and attempted to insult me. Then, you called me childish.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEnjoyBeer View Post
When youre from Upstate NY, you dont need reminders.

Im ****ing sick of the cold climate.

At least 5 months of cold and CONSISTENT snow, day in and day out.

Clouds are constant as much if not more so, than the PNW.

Two cloudiest parts of the country, Upstate NY and the PNW.

Im done with it. Id prefer having no cold for the rest of my life. I dont need "reminders."
Send some of that snow down here, will you please?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.