U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What part of the US has the worst weather?
the Northeast 51 11.92%
the Midwest 150 35.05%
the South 127 29.67%
the Rockies 10 2.34%
the Southwest 42 9.81%
the Pacific Northwest 33 7.71%
California 15 3.50%
Voters: 428. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-24-2013, 03:56 PM
 
Location: The Magnolia City
8,931 posts, read 11,799,993 times
Reputation: 4853

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Yes, I disagree that it was unnecessary.

I maintain that your statement that San Francisco weather is "among the worst in America in your opinion" is based on your dislike of SF's lacking a sizable black population and you are dodging my questioning that with name calling and by acting purposefully obtuse.

It's pretty clear to me that you had an alterior (sic) motive and I calmly called you out on it. You interpreted this as my not being able to "handle" your opinion and attempted to insult me. Then, you called me childish.
The fact of the matter is, sir, you first insulted me by suggesting that I would be so shallow and unreasonable as to target a city's weather simply because there aren't enough black people. Even as much as we've debated, have I really given you that much of a reason to think I'm that big of a troll? Your "question" is as valid as me asking you if you only hate Houston's weather because there are too many blacks. Clearly, even you can see the ridiculousness of this, by now.

I'll tell you what the problem is: you believe San Francisco to be the perfect place, and you won't respect any opinion that claims otherwise. Blinded by your own arrogance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-24-2013, 04:02 PM
 
Location: The Magnolia City
8,931 posts, read 11,799,993 times
Reputation: 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Send some of that snow down here, will you please?
Right! I'll gladly take 20 inches off of their hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2013, 06:04 PM
 
Location: Baghdad by the Bay (San Francisco, California)
3,530 posts, read 4,264,095 times
Reputation: 3145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
The fact of the matter is, sir, you first insulted me by suggesting that I would be so shallow and unreasonable as to target a city's weather simply because there aren't enough black people. Even as much as we've debated, have I really given you that much of a reason to think I'm that big of a troll? Your "question" is as valid as me asking you if you only hate Houston's weather because there are too many blacks. Clearly, even you can see the ridiculousness of this, by now.

I'll tell you what the problem is: you believe San Francisco to be the perfect place, and you won't respect any opinion that claims otherwise. Blinded by your own arrogance.
I said plainly that I did not expect you to list SF as your favorite, nor did I care. I questioned what made you list it among your "worst" other than your eagerness to counter a post of mine based on your bias against me and SF, which you have shown in this thread and others.

You have given me numerous reasons to think, not that you are a troll, as I do not believe that for a second, but rather that you do not like SF because of your perception that it lacks black culture. I think you realize this too. Whenever you start picking at words or trying to twist meanings, you are avoiding questions posed to you. It comes off as back peddling to me. I had you on ignore for quite awhile some months ago and only saw posts of yours that others would quote. I noticed this behavior with them, too, even when you were clearly being baited by them. You also go to name calling and anemic insults whenever you don't fully believe what you are saying and are instead putting forward your alterior (sic) motives.

You list places with weather that kills people over a place that's "too mild". That's fine if that's your preference. I do, in fact, respect that opinion, which I stated earlier. I think it doesn't make sense, but you are entitled to it. My question was, why would that make SF among your "worst" weather places. An attitude of "meh" I can understand. But, listing it as "worst" seems to stem from past exchanges with you -- any chance to knock SF, especially to me, right? Hence, my question, with no insult intended, whatsoever.

So, I suppose I'll go back to the "ignore" setting with you, which is a shame because I admit I often enjoy your input. You don't know how to read me at all, though, and the opportunistic and inflammatory jabs you send my way are evidence of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2013, 06:12 PM
 
Location: Tokyo, Japan
6,631 posts, read 8,322,265 times
Reputation: 7587
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I said plainly that I did not expect you to list SF as your favorite, nor did I care. I questioned what made you list it among your "worst" other than your eagerness to counter a post of mine based on your bias against me and SF, which you have shown in this thread and others.

You have given me numerous reasons to think, not that you are a troll, as I do not believe that for a second, but rather that you do not like SF because of your perception that it lacks black culture. I think you realize this too. Whenever you start picking at words or trying to twist meanings, you are avoiding questions posed to you. It comes off as back peddling to me.
I had you on ignore for quite awhile some months ago and only saw posts of yours that others would quote. I noticed this behavior with them, too, even when you were clearly being baited by them. You also go to name calling and anemic insults whenever you don't fully believe what you are saying and are instead putting forward your alterior (sic) motives.
I was thinking the same thing, it seems odd to have San Francisco as the worst climate given how much more comfortable it can be compared to most anywhere else.

I cant imagine too many cities with a more admirable climate than San Francisco. I'm a heat kind of person myself but tame and cool is a great alternative.

My votes on Minneapolis, Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia, Buffalo, New York, and practically everywhere in the frostbelt. It's one thing to layer up, another to have to defrost your car, leave it running for several minutes, chittering and chattering and shivering, watching how you walk on sidewalks because of ice, watching the ice melt into mud puddles along street curbs and if cars are coming fast then it would splash all over you, eating outdoors and the food getting cold instantly, having to be indoors because of the cold fronts, grey clouds where you wake up and the first thing running in your head is "did I oversleep? Is it really night already?", so much more.

I haven't enjoyed this winter at all.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 03-24-2013 at 07:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2013, 06:27 PM
 
Location: The Magnolia City
8,931 posts, read 11,799,993 times
Reputation: 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I said plainly that I did not expect you to list SF as your favorite, nor did I care. I questioned what made you list it among your "worst" other than your eagerness to counter a post of mine based on your bias against me and SF, which you have shown in this thread and others.

You have given me numerous reasons to think, not that you are a troll, as I do not believe that for a second, but rather that you do not like SF because of your perception that it lacks black culture. I think you realize this too. Whenever you start picking at words or trying to twist meanings, you are avoiding questions posed to you. It comes off as back peddling to me. I had you on ignore for quite awhile some months ago and only saw posts of yours that others would quote. I noticed this behavior with them, too, even when you were clearly being baited by them. You also go to name calling and anemic insults whenever you don't fully believe what you are saying and are instead putting forward your alterior (sic) motives.

You list places with weather that kills people over a place that's "too mild". That's fine if that's your preference. I do, in fact, respect that opinion, which I stated earlier. I think it doesn't make sense, but you are entitled to it. My question was, why would that make SF among your "worst" weather places. An attitude of "meh" I can understand. But, listing it as "worst" seems to stem from past exchanges with you -- any chance to knock SF, especially to me, right? Hence, my question, with no insult intended, whatsoever.

So, I suppose I'll go back to the "ignore" setting with you, which is a shame because I admit I often enjoy your input. You don't know how to read me at all, though, and the opportunistic and inflammatory jabs you send my way are evidence of it.
Don't let me hinder you. I encourage that decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2013, 06:29 PM
 
Location: The Magnolia City
8,931 posts, read 11,799,993 times
Reputation: 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
I was thinking the same thing.

I cant imagine too many cities with a more admirable climate than San Francisco. I'm a heat kind of person myself but tame and cool is a great alternative.

My votes on Minneapolis, Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia, Buffalo, New York, and practically everywhere in the frostbelt. It's one thing to layer up, another to have to defrost your car, leave it running for several minutes, chittering and chattering and shivering, watching how you walk on sidewalks because of ice, watching the ice melt into mud puddles along street curbs and if cars are coming fast then it would splash all over you, eating outdoors and the food getting cold instantly, having to be indoors because of the cold fronts, grey clouds where you wake up and the first thing running in your head is "did I oversleep? Is it really night already?", so much more.

I haven't enjoyed this winter at all.
I've thought several things about your posts as well.

[MOD CUT]

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 03-24-2013 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: Was getting too personal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2013, 06:40 PM
 
Location: Tokyo, Japan
6,631 posts, read 8,322,265 times
Reputation: 7587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I've thought several things about your posts as well.
Well I was under the impression that it stemmed from that reason because correct me if I'm wrong but I've seen you use that argument in other threads.

San Francisco's climate isn't for everyone but it's no where close to "among the worst" when it provides a very tame and tolerable environment. Again, I can respect your opinion being different but I don't understand how it can logically be amongst the worst?

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 03-24-2013 at 07:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2013, 08:27 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis (St. Louis Park)
5,991 posts, read 8,314,520 times
Reputation: 4270
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
Well I was under the impression that it stemmed from that reason because correct me if I'm wrong but I've seen you use that argument in other threads.

San Francisco's climate isn't for everyone but it's no where close to "among the worst" when it provides a very tame and tolerable environment. Again, I can respect your opinion being different but I don't understand how it can logically be amongst the worst?
SF's climate is among the best -- at least if you hate extremes! The fog is a tad annoying and the fact that you may need a sweatshirt in the summer is flat out weird for me as a Midwesterner/Northerner (MN), but it's hard to complain about mostly sunny days, 55-75 degrees, 80% of the time. If that weather is too rough for you I think you might be more delicate than a baby!!!

The coolest thing about SF or other multi-zonal metros along the coast and near mountains, is that you can up and move a few miles in any direction to get a change in weather -- how cool is that! So when it's overcast and foggy and 50 degrees in Haight/Ashbury, you can drive 5 miles North to Sausalito and be in the sun, or 5 miles East and be in the sun and 90 degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2013, 09:00 PM
 
Location: Baghdad by the Bay (San Francisco, California)
3,530 posts, read 4,264,095 times
Reputation: 3145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
SF's climate is among the best -- at least if you hate extremes! The fog is a tad annoying and the fact that you may need a sweatshirt in the summer is flat out weird for me as a Midwesterner/Northerner (MN), but it's hard to complain about mostly sunny days, 55-75 degrees, 80% of the time. If that weather is too rough for you I think you might be more delicate than a baby!!!

The coolest thing about SF or other multi-zonal metros along the coast and near mountains, is that you can up and move a few miles in any direction to get a change in weather -- how cool is that! So when it's overcast and foggy and 50 degrees in Haight/Ashbury, you can drive 5 miles North to Sausalito and be in the sun, or 5 miles East and be in the sun and 90 degrees.
Right. Summer in SF is September and October. It warms up a good 10 or more degrees in Fall, over Summer here. I saw 80s in the City last April, but it only lasted a few days and we closed the office, so I suspect that's not the norm.

Divisadero is the fog line. East of there will stay fog free every day during summer days and will only occasionally fog up at night. Night baseball games at AT&T park are typically clear, but breezy, with occasional wisps of fog blowing over the upper deck seats. It's usually no lower than the mid-upper 50s at night in the northeastern part of the City, where I live.

I do like to go out to The Richmond for Asian cuisine on nice summer evenings. I can leave my apartment in sunny, 65-degrees (which is warm in the clear air with the direct sunlight) and go just a few minutes up California St. to the other side of Presidio Heights and instantly be in a thick, foggy 52 degrees with the fog horns on the bridge going nuts and the whole city taking on this kind of mysterious ambiance that is really amazing to me.

Conversely, as you mentioned, I can go to Marin and be in more typical "summer" weather of 70s-80s in about the same amount of time. It's all part of the charm of this place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2013, 11:57 PM
 
Location: The Magnolia City
8,931 posts, read 11,799,993 times
Reputation: 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
Well I was under the impression that it stemmed from that reason because correct me if I'm wrong but I've seen you use that argument in other threads.

San Francisco's climate isn't for everyone but it's no where close to "among the worst" when it provides a very tame and tolerable environment. Again, I can respect your opinion being different but I don't understand how it can logically be amongst the worst?
The only thing you've ever seen me say was that the lack of blacks is one of the reasons I have no desire to live there. Weather has nothing to do with the race of the people. Montreal is about as black as SF, but it's one of my favorite cities and I easily prefer its weather over the California coast. So if people are going to accuse me of being so shallow, their claims should atleast be sound.

I'm through entertaining foolishness, so let's make a deal: I'll continue to put up with his and others' constant berating of Houston, and they'll continue to deal with my honesty about San Francisco. I understand that individualism isn't respected on these forums, but it would be advantageous for you all to learn how to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top