Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What part of the US has the worst weather?
the Northeast 61 10.66%
the Midwest 208 36.36%
the South 174 30.42%
the Rockies 14 2.45%
the Southwest 52 9.09%
the Pacific Northwest 45 7.87%
California 18 3.15%
Voters: 572. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 10:40 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I'd leave this one alone, if I were you, Htown. Believe me, we'll have plenty of opportunities to call him out on his BS in the future. Save your energy.
Was thinking of calling it a day after that post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 10:59 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
...you guys exaggerate things to the extreme and make it seem like nothing can be good ... here.
That's standard operating procedure for people in the western United States, regardless of the topic at hand. Apparently the border between the Land of Milk and Honey and Hell on Earth is 100°W.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:23 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,135,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
you misunderstood. In said the sky has been blue the past month to rebut your "The sky is constantly white over there" argument.

What I did say about Nice weather was "For me it has been nice since mid september" Thats about 6 months if I am calculating correctly.

And yet use unrealistic descriptors.

No flailing at all. Just point out the weak tool many people implement on here when they are cornered in a fallacy--If you can't go around the argument, just dismiss the poster as not knowing any better

You did not say most of the year. I never said you were lying sir. I said you stretch data to the limits

Who said it was a strong suit?

what does that have to do with you using flat out wrong descriptions of the city like:

The sky is constantly white there

or

The is just bad weather book ended by three weeks of tolerable weather.

Bull****.

Houston weather is glorious for about half the year to the vast majority of residents.

Extremely sensitive people would reduce that to a month or two. In fact I have never met anyone in person who complain about Houston's weather between the months of November and April.

I have only heard it on here and when you reduce it to a month or two it really sounds like you have not a clue about what you are talking about
Raising your voice (figuratively speaking, of course) does not make you any less wrong.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:35 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,135,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
That's standard operating procedure for people in the western United States, regardless of the topic at hand. Apparently the border between the Land of Milk and Honey and Hell on Earth is 100°W.
No, that's way too far East.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:02 PM

311 posts, read 492,816 times
In my opinion, it's Southern Coastal California due to the dull weather pattern of fog and bland sunshine, which occurs during Spring and Summer months with little or no precipitation to clear out the stalled air.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:32 PM

229 posts, read 585,141 times
OMG, how did this turn into such a huge debate between Houston/Dallas/SanFrancisco? For those of us hoping to get more information about the different regions climates, it was annoying to read through pages of posters trying to prove they are right.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:47 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,896 times
The only places I have lived are in Kansas, both had very similar climates. I would vote the midwest being the worst and probably California/Hawaii as the best. I've been trying to convince my wife that we should move out there, but she has little interest in doing so. I would love living in San Francisco, but I think the weeks of cloudy weather would drive me crazy and Houston is way to hot for me. I would never rate either as the worst, but neither as the best either.

Best City- Honolulu, mainland USA might be Los Angeles (I can always go to the coast or the mountains if I need a change)
Worst City - Fargo

Old 04-11-2013, 01:14 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Maybe this will help some to understand the comments about San Fransisco weather being among the "worst."

For some people, uninteresting weather = bad.

snip

So, yes. It is possible for weather to be too "mild." Lame. Boring. Whichever adjective is your favorite.
I am DEFINITELY NOT one of those people. I absolutely cannot stand weather that changes too much, especially within a couple of days. To me it's nothing short of harassment. Yes--harassment. If I wanted drama, I'd watch "The Young & The Restless." If I wanted a roller coaster, I'd go to Six Flags and ride one. I do neither, because I can't stand drama or roller coaster rides, ever. I sure as heck don't want it in the weather, not ever, not one day out of 10 trillion. I like things linear & consistent, not all over the map like a schizophrenic gnat you can't swat.

As I mentioned earlier, what bothers me the most, by far, is the roller coaster nature of spring in the places I've lived, NC and TX especially. (In the poking around I've done, it seems to do it almost everywhere, really.) I don't like cold weather, but I don't live in Key West so I don't expect it to be warm in winter. However, now that spring is here, there shouldn't be any trace of winter anymore whatsoever. It's supposed to be warming up, and ONLY warming up, nothing else at all whatsoever.

Instead, during a time when it's supposed to be 73-75'F or so, instead one day it's in the mid 80s, then within a day it's barely in the 40s, like it's winter-time all over again, and then it takes FOREVER to climb back up (as in an entire week), just SLOWLY and GRADUALLY climbing back up. Then, within a day--WHAM! The bottom falls out again. All the while you can't help but think "it's SPRING now, winter is OVER, act like it already." You feel like you can't really enjoy a warm day knowing that winter-time is about to poke its disgusting head out from the gutters again any day. You can't enjoy it until it's ALWAYS that way, with no threat of it returning at all whatsoever until November, when it's SUPPOSED to be.

Can you imagine if your work or home life worked that way? You're supposed to work 8-5, but instead you decide to show up at 5 a.m. one day, then 11 a.m the next, and 6 am one day, 10 am the next, and you tell your boss "but I average 8 a.m.?" How long would you last? You'd be thrown out on your butt. I wish we could do the same to whatever makes the weather this way.

And sunshine? Forget it, especially on most of the warm days. You spend all winter bearing the cold, but also knowing that summer will be 97'F and miserable, so you look forward to the days when the norms are 75-85'F and you enjoy some WARMTH but not extreme HEAT. Instead, half the time when it's in the 70s, it's cloudy, but it won't rain any, and so of course we're still in a drought, yet without any of the enjoyment of sunshine on WARM days not hot or cold ones.

I don't know who or what is in charge of such weather, but I sure wish I could smack them upside the head and wallop the snot out of them. Tom & Jerry (the cartoon characters) could surely do a better job than that. It absolutely drives me crazy.

Last edited by shyguylh; 04-11-2013 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: Misspellings.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:29 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytxeast View Post
I am DEFINITELY NOT one of those people. I absolutely cannot stand weather that changes too much, especially within a couple of days. To me it's nothing short of harassment. Yes--harassment. If I wanted drama, I'd watch "The Young & The Restless." If I wanted a roller coaster, I'd go to Six Flags and ride one. I do neither, because I can't stand drama or roller coaster rides, ever. I sure as heck don't want it in the weather, not ever, not one day out of 10 trillion. I like things linear & consistent, not all over the map like a schizophrenic gnat you can't swat.

As I mentioned earlier, what bothers me the most, by far, is the roller coaster nature of spring in the places I've lived, NC and TX especially. (In the poking around I've done, it seems to do it almost everywhere, really.) I don't like cold weather, but I don't live in Key West so I don't expect it to be warm in winter. However, now that spring is here, there shouldn't be any trace of winter anymore whatsoever. It's supposed to be warming up, and ONLY warming up, nothing else at all whatsoever.

Instead, during a time when it's supposed to be 73-75'F or so, instead one day it's in the mid 80s, then within a day it's barely in the 40s, like it's winter-time all over again, and then it takes FOREVER to climb back up (as in an entire week), just SLOWLY and GRADUALLY climbing back up. Then, within a day--WHAM! The bottom falls out again. All the while you can't help but think "it's SPRING now, winter is OVER, act like it already." You feel like you can't really enjoy a warm day knowing that winter-time is about to poke its disgusting head out from the gutters again any day. You can't enjoy it until it's ALWAYS that way, with no threat of it returning at all whatsoever until November, when it's SUPPOSED to be.

Can you imagine if your work or home life worked that way? You're supposed to work 8-5, but instead you decide to show up at 5 a.m. one day, then 11 a.m the next, and 6 am one day, 10 am the next, and you tell your boss "but I average 8 a.m.?" How long would you last? You'd be thrown out on your butt. I wish we could do the same to whatever makes the weather this way.

And sunshine? Forget it, especially on most of the warm days. You spend all winter bearing the cold, but also knowing that summer will be 97'F and miserable, so you look forward to the days when the norms are 75-85'F and you enjoy some WARMTH but not extreme HEAT. Instead, half the time when it's in the 70s, it's cloudy, but it won't rain any, and so of course we're still in a drought, yet without any of the enjoyment of sunshine on WARM days not hot or cold ones.

I don't know who or what is in charge of such weather, but I sure wish I could smack them upside the head and wallop the snot out of them. Tom & Jerry (the cartoon characters) could surely do a better job than that. It absolutely drives me crazy.
Uh, good luck with that.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:55 PM

133 posts, read 236,538 times
I said the south, but that's not entirely true.
It only applies to the states on the Gulf.

LOL at CA having any votes at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.