U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What part of the US has the worst weather?
the Northeast 51 11.92%
the Midwest 150 35.05%
the South 127 29.67%
the Rockies 10 2.34%
the Southwest 42 9.81%
the Pacific Northwest 33 7.71%
California 15 3.50%
Voters: 428. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 12:02 PM

10,423 posts, read 12,416,860 times

Advertisements

Worst:
1.Midwest
2.Northeast
3.Rockies
4.Northwest
5.Southwest
6.South
7.California
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 02:54 PM

16 posts, read 132,501 times
Good question.

Florida comes to mind... obviously because of the occasional hurricane. Kansas and that general area of the country comes to mind because of tornadoes.

The northeast comes to mind because of the bad snow it's been getting.

But the worst? That's hard to answer. If you mean persistently bad... maybe it's Arizona and that general area because of the heat.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:23 PM

7,315 posts, read 5,540,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytxeast View Post
I am DEFINITELY NOT one of those people. I absolutely cannot stand weather that changes too much, especially within a couple of days. To me it's nothing short of harassment. Yes--harassment. If I wanted drama, I'd watch "The Young & The Restless." If I wanted a roller coaster, I'd go to Six Flags and ride one. I do neither, because I can't stand drama or roller coaster rides, ever. I sure as heck don't want it in the weather, not ever, not one day out of 10 trillion. I like things linear & consistent, not all over the map like a schizophrenic gnat you can't swat.

As I mentioned earlier, what bothers me the most, by far, is the roller coaster nature of spring in the places I've lived, NC and TX especially. (In the poking around I've done, it seems to do it almost everywhere, really.) I don't like cold weather, but I don't live in Key West so I don't expect it to be warm in winter. However, now that spring is here, there shouldn't be any trace of winter anymore whatsoever. It's supposed to be warming up, and ONLY warming up, nothing else at all whatsoever.

Instead, during a time when it's supposed to be 73-75'F or so, instead one day it's in the mid 80s, then within a day it's barely in the 40s, like it's winter-time all over again, and then it takes FOREVER to climb back up (as in an entire week), just SLOWLY and GRADUALLY climbing back up. Then, within a day--WHAM! The bottom falls out again. All the while you can't help but think "it's SPRING now, winter is OVER, act like it already." You feel like you can't really enjoy a warm day knowing that winter-time is about to poke its disgusting head out from the gutters again any day. You can't enjoy it until it's ALWAYS that way, with no threat of it returning at all whatsoever until November, when it's SUPPOSED to be.

Can you imagine if your work or home life worked that way? You're supposed to work 8-5, but instead you decide to show up at 5 a.m. one day, then 11 a.m the next, and 6 am one day, 10 am the next, and you tell your boss "but I average 8 a.m.?" How long would you last? You'd be thrown out on your butt. I wish we could do the same to whatever makes the weather this way.

And sunshine? Forget it, especially on most of the warm days. You spend all winter bearing the cold, but also knowing that summer will be 97'F and miserable, so you look forward to the days when the norms are 75-85'F and you enjoy some WARMTH but not extreme HEAT. Instead, half the time when it's in the 70s, it's cloudy, but it won't rain any, and so of course we're still in a drought, yet without any of the enjoyment of sunshine on WARM days not hot or cold ones.

I don't know who or what is in charge of such weather, but I sure wish I could smack them upside the head and wallop the snot out of them. Tom & Jerry (the cartoon characters) could surely do a better job than that. It absolutely drives me crazy.
I love changes in weather, but not if these involve: sweating two seconds after stepping outside, breathing in warm vapor, getting rained on, followed by steam coming up from the sidewalks, hot sun peeking from behind clouds, mosquitoes, and everything found 10 months out of the year in Miami.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:32 PM

106 posts, read 185,676 times
It's April 14 and we are having our second - yes, second - very bad snowstorm/blizzard of the week (worst snowstorms of the season!). 10-day forecast calls for snow for at least 5 of those days. So I vote Duluth, MN as the worse place for weather in America.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:41 PM

541 posts, read 762,344 times
Why are people putting the Midwest above the Northeast?

The Northeast gets everything the Midwest does but also Nor'easters, hurricanes and lake effect snow (Upstate NY).

Upstate NY gets my vote for the worst weather region in the entire country.

You name it, Upstate NY gets it.

Thunderstorms, hurricanes, Nor'easters, endless lake effect snow, tornadoes, ice storms, hail, freezing rain, extreme humidity, heat spells, cold spells, negative wind chills, etc. etc. etc.

It even gets earthquakes, albeit small ones.

All of these can and do happen within one calendar year.

The Midwest doesnt get Nor'easters, hurricanes and only Michigan really gets lake effect snow (save for NE Ohio).

I dont think people realize how much snow actually falls in Upstate NY. 100+ inches are the average. There are no Midwestern ciites that average over half that.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
Not counting Alaska, the Great Lakes. The Northeast has the exact same temperatures and humidity, but they have an ocean to escape to during the summer, and they aren't as cloudy during the winter.

Upstate NY and New England ring a bell?

Why do people forget this?

Theres more to the Northeast than just the coastal cities.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingElsewhere View Post
For me, the inland Northeast such as Upstate New York and parts of Pennsylvania. My problem with the climate is not the temperatures, cold, humidity, etc. but high number of cloudy days and gray skies. Not many people seem to know this, but the inland Northeast has just as many cloudy days as the Pacific NW. Imagine Seattle winters with frigid temperatures, that gives you the inland Northeast. Even the fall and spring seem to have a high number of cloudy days. Summer appears to be the only season where you see an abundance of sunshine.

IMO, sunshine and full sunny days are important. I can find ways to deal with extreme temperatures, cold, and humidity. But lack of sunshine and full sunny days makes me depressed and groggy all the time.

Bingo.

Upstate NY, aside all the stuff I listed, is as cloudy as the Pacific Northwest.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
Growing up in Mild/Sunny Southern California. The weather does get a bit boring seeing sunshine and similar temps nearly all year. But I'll go with the midwest having the worst weather. Hot and muggy summers combined with bone chilling winters is a combination I don't want to live in. At least the South has mild winters in comparison to the Hot/Humid summers.

You need to get around more.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:57 PM

983 posts, read 1,428,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEnjoyBeer View Post
Why are people putting the Midwest above the Northeast?

The Northeast gets everything the Midwest does but also Nor'easters, hurricanes and lake effect snow (Upstate NY).

Upstate NY gets my vote for the worst weather region in the entire country.

You name it, Upstate NY gets it.

Thunderstorms, hurricanes, Nor'easters, endless lake effect snow, tornadoes, ice storms, hail, freezing rain, extreme humidity, heat spells, cold spells, negative wind chills, etc. etc. etc.

It even gets earthquakes, albeit small ones.

All of these can and do happen within one calendar year.

The Midwest doesnt get Nor'easters, hurricanes and only Michigan really gets lake effect snow (save for NE Ohio).

I dont think people realize how much snow actually falls in Upstate NY. 100+ inches are the average. There are no Midwestern ciites that average over half that.
Minnesota and Wisconsin get significantly colder which is why people think it is worse. Most of the Midwest isn't too bad, but Minnesota and Wisconsin give it that "cold" reputation. Some people just can't handle the cold.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:36 PM

12,585 posts, read 15,054,657 times
The desert southwest (Arizona), just too darn hot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.