U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What part of the US has the worst weather?
the Northeast 51 11.92%
the Midwest 150 35.05%
the South 127 29.67%
the Rockies 10 2.34%
the Southwest 42 9.81%
the Pacific Northwest 33 7.71%
California 15 3.50%
Voters: 428. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-15-2013, 10:37 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis
2,331 posts, read 3,054,646 times
Reputation: 3925

Advertisements

I grew up near Utica, New York and have lived in Minneapolis/St Paul for the last 20 years. I will take southern Minnesota over upstate New York any day of the week, northern Minnesota is a different story. The problem with upstate New York weather is that it is perpetually dreary and depressing, you can go forever without seeing the sun, even the summers have a lot of clouds. Minnesota has cold winters but the rest of the year is great with lots of big blue skies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-15-2013, 10:44 PM
 
Location: New York
541 posts, read 762,344 times
Reputation: 262
My point exactly. It gets just as frigid in Upstate NY, but its considerably cloudier and more precipitous than anywhere else in the Midwest, especially cloud cover and snow wise.

I am from Utica as well.


Im sure you know where Old Forge is. They probably have never heard of it until now, and how frigid the Adirondacks are in general.


To be honest, Minnesota reminds me a lot of Upstate NY, especially the Adirondacks.

This picture could easily be mistaken for anywhere in MN. The pond hockey culture and just hockey culture in general is what I love about both.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2013, 10:57 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis
2,331 posts, read 3,054,646 times
Reputation: 3925
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEnjoyBeer View Post
I am from Utica as well.


Im sure you know where Old Forge is. They probably have never heard of it until now, and how frigid the Adirondacks are in general.


To be honest, Minnesota reminds me a lot of Upstate NY, especially the Adirondacks.

This picture could easily be mistaken for anywhere in Northern MN.
My family use to go to Fourth Lake or Raquette Lake every summer. "Nice" was in the 70, when it was in the 80s that was considered hot, sometimes it would rain for a week and stay in the 50s and 60s (even in July). The Adirondacks and northern Minnesota are very similar, although northern Minnesota is drier and warmer in the summer and obviously doesn't have mountains (but does have big hills). I think people think Minnesota has the worst weather because the far northern part of the state often has eyepoping headline lows in the winter but the parts of the state where most people live are not as cold. The Twin Cities are a bit colder in the winter than the Mohawk Valley and winter is a bit longer but it snows less and the other three seasons are much better.

I've never been to North Dakota in the winter but I know people from the Twin Cities who have who said it was borderline uninhabitable. I've seen wind chills in North Dakota in the -110 range, I think that might be the worst winter weather in the lower 48. There are no trees in North Dakota so there is nothing to stop the wind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2013, 11:07 PM
 
Location: New York
541 posts, read 762,344 times
Reputation: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
My family use to go to Fourth Lake or Raquette Lake every summer. "Nice" was in the 70, when it was in the 80s that was considered hot, sometimes it would rain for a week and stay in the 50s and 60s (even in July). The Adirondacks and northern Minnesota are very similar, although northern Minnesota is drier and warmer in the summer and obviously doesn't have mountains (but does have big hills). I think people think Minnesota has the worst weather because the far northern part of the state often has eyepoping headline lows in the winter but the parts of the state where most people live are not as cold. The Twin Cities are a bit colder in the winter than the Mohawk Valley and winter is a bit longer but it snows less and the other three seasons are much better.

I've never been to North Dakota in the winter but I know people from the Twin Cities who have who said it was borderline uninhabitable. I've seen wind chills in North Dakota in the -110 range, I think that might be the worst winter weather in the lower 48. There are no trees in North Dakota so there is nothing to stop the wind.

Yep I havent been to those places but have definitely heard of them.

Yes, Minnesota is definitely sunnier than Upstate NY.

CNY to WNY is as cloudy as the Pacific Northwest. Bet they didnt know that either.

Its a terrible combination of being extremely high North while also being sandwiched between the Great Lakes and the Atlantic Ocean. Lots of unstable air masses that move through.


You know just as well as I do, there really isnt anything Upstate NY doesnt get weather wise. You name it, Upstate gets it.

Frigid cold spells (-30s, -40s, -50s although rare are severe), heat spells (100s last year), extreme humidity, ice storms, hail storms, thunderstorms, tornadoes (one touched down last year in MV), hurricanes, freezing rain, Nor'easters, lake effect snow, blizzards, droughts, floods, etc. etc. etc.

Like I was saying before, Upstate gets my vote for worst weather region of the country, because its literally an awful combination of everything.

Media concentrates a lot on upper Minnesota for cold spells, while many dont realize that Upstate NY and upper New England get the same cold.

They think everything is temperate like NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2013, 02:05 AM
 
Location: Sector 001
7,242 posts, read 6,466,026 times
Reputation: 8290
eastern South Dakota, most of North Dakota, the northern half of MN, and most of WI except for the SE portion.

Just too damn cold for too long.

That picture is nothing like what the southern and western portions of MN look like. They look more like Iowa, but at least Iowa has more moderate temperatures.

My favorite climate would be something along the likes of Columbia, MO. I like good thunderstorms too much to give them up by moving to somewhere less humid like Denver.

The best kept secret climates are east of the rockies where the chinooks are. Scottsbluff, NE. Rapid City, SD... all of eastern CO and western NE panhandle. It's like living in AZ with less humidity but without the extreme heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2013, 10:11 AM
 
1,729 posts, read 1,492,370 times
Reputation: 886
The UP EH!

you have to deal with the prevailing weather out of the west and you are just about as far north as you can get in the lower 48. But when you throw in the lake effect off Lake superior that is the absolute hammer when it comes to the worse winters.

What is it mid April. I talked to my sister who lives in Trenary yesterday and they have had two storms over the past seven days that dumped at least a foot of snow each. Snow into may and even flurries at night in early june are possible.

9 to 10 months of winter up there sometimes. The folks who stay love skiing and ice fishing snow mobiliing etc...Its a winter wonderland with way to much winter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2013, 10:29 AM
 
3,234 posts, read 7,629,482 times
Reputation: 2694
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEnjoyBeer View Post
Yep I havent been to those places but have definitely heard of them.

Yes, Minnesota is definitely sunnier than Upstate NY.

CNY to WNY is as cloudy as the Pacific Northwest. Bet they didnt know that either.

Its a terrible combination of being extremely high North while also being sandwiched between the Great Lakes and the Atlantic Ocean. Lots of unstable air masses that move through.


You know just as well as I do, there really isnt anything Upstate NY doesnt get weather wise. You name it, Upstate gets it.

Frigid cold spells (-30s, -40s, -50s although rare are severe), heat spells (100s last year), extreme humidity, ice storms, hail storms, thunderstorms, tornadoes (one touched down last year in MV), hurricanes, freezing rain, Nor'easters, lake effect snow, blizzards, droughts, floods, etc. etc. etc.

Like I was saying before, Upstate gets my vote for worst weather region of the country, because its literally an awful combination of everything.

Media concentrates a lot on upper Minnesota for cold spells, while many dont realize that Upstate NY and upper New England get the same cold.

They think everything is temperate like NYC.
I agree with the cloudy, snowy humid, etc weather.
but hurricanes and tornadoes? Let's be real here. On the very very rare occasion we do get an earthquake, many people can not even feel it. On the even more rare occasion we get a measurable earthquake, it's extremely minor. The "big" earthquake that happened in the north country years back made a cup slightly move on my desk. No cause for alarm. Tornadoes are even more rare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2013, 10:42 AM
 
Location: New York
541 posts, read 762,344 times
Reputation: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I agree with the cloudy, snowy humid, etc weather.
but hurricanes and tornadoes? Let's be real here. On the very very rare occasion we do get an earthquake, many people can not even feel it. On the even more rare occasion we get a measurable earthquake, it's extremely minor. The "big" earthquake that happened in the north country years back made a cup slightly move on my desk. No cause for alarm. Tornadoes are even more rare.


What? Do you think hurricanes that hit the Northeast just magically disappear over the Catskills and Upstate NY is left sunny and free to go?

No, theres no hurricane force winds or flooding at all. No, Sandy didnt do anything. There are hurricane and tropical storm threats that hit every year. Same with Nor'easters.

Tornadoes?




Come on. They may be more frequent in the plains but they still happen.

Severe cold spells (-40) are also rare, but that doesnt stop anyone in MN from claiming them does it?

The entire point is the risk. Youre always at risk for these things to happen.

There are fault lines that run through the Northeast, there isnt much in the Midwest.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2013, 10:45 AM
 
Location: New York
541 posts, read 762,344 times
Reputation: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
The UP EH!

you have to deal with the prevailing weather out of the west and you are just about as far north as you can get in the lower 48. But when you throw in the lake effect off Lake superior that is the absolute hammer when it comes to the worse winters.

What is it mid April. I talked to my sister who lives in Trenary yesterday and they have had two storms over the past seven days that dumped at least a foot of snow each. Snow into may and even flurries at night in early june are possible.

9 to 10 months of winter up there sometimes. The folks who stay love skiing and ice fishing snow mobiliing etc...Its a winter wonderland with way to much winter

Same thing in the interior Northeast. Same, exact, thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2013, 10:48 AM
 
Location: New York
541 posts, read 762,344 times
Reputation: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
That picture is nothing like what the southern and western portions of MN look like. They look more like Iowa, but at least Iowa has more moderate temperatures.

Western NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top