U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What part of the US has the worst weather?
the Northeast 51 11.92%
the Midwest 150 35.05%
the South 127 29.67%
the Rockies 10 2.34%
the Southwest 42 9.81%
the Pacific Northwest 33 7.71%
California 15 3.50%
Voters: 428. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 07:22 AM

7,315 posts, read 5,537,461 times

Advertisements

My sis lived in Oklahoma, and oh my frikkin' lawd, between having to gather the kids and run down to the basement because the weather radio alarm indicated a tornado, or the snowstorms that had electricity down over 2 weeks, well, it was a nightmare. She left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Honestly, the Midwest's weather sucks. I believe that's a big part of the reason why people are reluctant to move to that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 07:31 AM

7,238 posts, read 10,890,436 times
San Francisco.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,732 times
I think mid alantic....thi. values in summer over 100...............just far enough south to get hit with a hurricane. Last year we got hit with a strong cat 1....................we get our. Good share of t storms...and we get strong. Nor easters kinda like a tropical storm when a low forms off the coast. Weve had nor easters that dropped about 10"

Old 10-02-2012, 11:30 AM

639 posts, read 939,238 times
For me, the inland Northeast such as Upstate New York and parts of Pennsylvania. My problem with the climate is not the temperatures, cold, humidity, etc. but high number of cloudy days and gray skies. Not many people seem to know this, but the inland Northeast has just as many cloudy days as the Pacific NW. Imagine Seattle winters with frigid temperatures, that gives you the inland Northeast. Even the fall and spring seem to have a high number of cloudy days. Summer appears to be the only season where you see an abundance of sunshine.

IMO, sunshine and full sunny days are important. I can find ways to deal with extreme temperatures, cold, and humidity. But lack of sunshine and full sunny days makes me depressed and groggy all the time.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:51 AM

8,931 posts, read 11,796,452 times
The PacNW is the worst, for me.

The Mid/Upper South (from Northeast Texas to the Piedmont and up the Atlantic Coast to DC) would be my ideal weather region: four seasons with nice fall color but no incredibly harsh winters.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:24 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,916,314 times
1) Texas: worst in terms of heat and humidity and thats saying a lot since I've lived in South Louisiana, Florida, and Lebanon. Yet, the winters in Texas are colder than Louisiana and Florida. go figure.

2) northern Great Lakes area. Wisconsin winters were god awful. im sure buffalo and detroit are just as bad. only reason Texas was worse was because the summers up north are great.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:12 PM

812 posts, read 1,070,760 times
This is so weird. I always thought the Midwest's weather was her best feature. I love the variety. Snowy winter, blazing summers, a color fall and a green spring. And I think the storms are phenomenal! A true force of nature that can make your hair stand up on end. I'll admit, as a child, spending my 3 month in the storm cellar was terrifying, but I grew to love it. It reminds me how powerless man is in the face of Mother Nature. Truly humbling...

To each their own.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:32 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,796,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
1) Texas: worst in terms of heat and humidity and thats saying a lot since I've lived in South Louisiana, Florida, and Lebanon. Yet, the winters in Texas are colder than Louisiana and Florida. go figure.

2) northern Great Lakes area. Wisconsin winters were god awful. im sure buffalo and detroit are just as bad. only reason Texas was worse was because the summers up north are great.
I wish people would be more specific about which part of Texas they're talking about. Where exactly are the summers and winters harsh.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:52 PM

4,370 posts, read 5,140,359 times
Georgia has HORRIBLE weather, almost all year around. At least Atlanta does, I can't speak for more southern parts.

1. It's hot as crap in Atlanta. Now as a native Missourian, I'm no stranger to 100+ degree weather, and Atlanta rarely breaks that. But when you mix this the fact it's has a lot of humidity, that's bad. Summers in Atlanta are freakin BRUTAL.

2. So when it's not hot as crap outside, it's raining. Now when it rains in Atlanta, it RAINNSS in Atlanta. Thunder, lighting, win, heavy rain, it has the works. Oh and did I mention it can rain for HOURS!! Don't be surprised if your cable goes out and your lights go out along with it.

3. Ah, so now we come to the winter time. You'd think it'll be great. I mean Atlanta is in the south, the winters should be fine right? WRONG! While we don't get 10 inches of snow, Atlanta temperature drops pretty freakin low for a southern city. Even some of the most hardened Chicago and NYC macho men need to bundle up pretty tight in a GA winter. Yes, GA will drop down to 15 to 20 degrees, which is going to be cold now matter where you're from. Oh and did I mention how abrupt a GA winter come about. Like in 2010, one day it was 75 degrees outside and the next day it was like 15? The freakin temperature dropped 60 degrees in one day?!!? But you can come to expect unpredictable weather in good ol Atlanta.

4. Spring time. If you have allergies, expect to be in the ER A LOT in spring. It rains loads upon loads, upon loads of pollen. If you're allergic, you're SOL. Because pollen is all over the place. It's the only time of the year when Atlanta has ok weather, but you can't enjoy it because pollen is all over the place.

Bottom line, the weather in Atlanta SUCKS! It's unpredictable. Like you can walk out one day and it feel like you can wear shorts, and then by the end of the day you need a freakin jacket! And vice versa, you may walk out and it will be cold enough for a jacket, and then, BAM, you're burning up.

As much as I love Atlanta, I couldn't wait to get to Seattle after suffering through ATL weather for 20 years.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:59 PM

10,156 posts, read 6,486,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
I would have to say the Desert Southwest or the Deep South. Just too damn hot.

I suppose that is why the people flock to the South because of the terrible weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.