U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What part of the US has the worst weather?
the Northeast 51 11.92%
the Midwest 150 35.05%
the South 127 29.67%
the Rockies 10 2.34%
the Southwest 42 9.81%
the Pacific Northwest 33 7.71%
California 15 3.50%
Voters: 428. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 10:14 AM

8,931 posts, read 11,832,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post

Of the major metros over two million people, Atlanta receives the most rain.
According to weather.com, Houston, Miami, and New York are wetter than Atlanta. I can't say for sure if Houston receives the most rain of the major metros, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 01:03 PM

15,568 posts, read 17,804,904 times
I would have to go with the Southwest although it is the most variable due to its elevation differences. a town at 2,000 feet in Arizona is very different from a town at 8,000 feet in New Mexico.

But the months of 105+ temps bracketed by months and months in the 80s and 90s that you find in some of the lower elevations would just turn me into a mass murderer :-) combine that with the fact that only cool, damp, rainy weather can sooth my soul and that's that on the Southwest. To be fair, Flagstaff, Santa Fe, and southern Colorado are pretty fine climates.

My second choice by a razor thin margin would be the deep south into Florida. Florida/Alabama might be doable if I lived right on the coast.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:04 PM

22,345 posts, read 32,237,000 times
It really depends on the day

Old 10-03-2012, 02:31 PM

46 posts, read 64,124 times
The Deep south

- humid summers
- lots of snakes and bugs
- depressing sometimes
- very inconsistent

Old 10-04-2012, 12:04 PM

15,568 posts, read 17,804,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTitan View Post
The Deep south

- humid summers
- lots of snakes and bugs
- depressing sometimes
- very inconsistent
I agree concerning the humidity.

Depressing, well any weather could be depressing so not sure what you mean there climate wise.

Inconsistent is something I would praise about a climate as variety is the spice of life. 6 months straight sun is as intolerable to me as 6 months of straight rain.

But the one I don't get is Snakes and bugs. I couldn't stand a place whose weather consists of snakes and bugs. I mean do they even make umbrellas strong enough for that?

Old 10-04-2012, 06:23 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,832,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

But the one I don't get is Snakes and bugs. I couldn't stand a place whose weather consists of snakes and bugs. I mean do they even make umbrellas strong enough for that?
Honestly, right after a summer rain, there are those times where you would swear it's raining mosquitoes. A good repellent can help curb that problem, though.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:24 AM

567 posts, read 913,841 times
I think desert summers are worse than Southern swamp summers. Las Vegas is living hell during the summer. In the residential areas you'll see children in the park at 11 p.m. with their parents. It's the only time they can go outside! The rest of the year is nice, but summer practically negates that. Whereas I spent a week in New Orleans once in the dead of summer and actually found it enjoyable. My sinuses had never been clearer before or since.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:11 PM

930 posts, read 1,287,867 times
Texas (Dallas, to be specific) The only part of the state with good weather is Amarillo and maybe Lubbock.... if only they got more rain.

I can't stand the brutal summers, the heat makes me feel like utter crap... and the winters aren't really that mild either, not like Florida where you can go out in shorts during the winter. Look at what happened to Dallas a couple years ago during the Super Bowl. There's only about two months out of the year where you don't need to use the A/C or Heater and you can spend time outside. Unfortunately for me, Texas wrecks havoc on my allergies during those couple months of niceness and I'm forced to stay inside anyway.

I prefer Northeastern weather. You have harsh winters, but are rewarded with a very pleasant summer and nice Spring/Fall seasons.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:25 PM

778 posts, read 1,462,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Florida. It has hostile weather - hot as blazes, pure humidity, vapor, nastiness, hurricanes, floods, particularly South Florida. I'm going to look up days of rain and sunshine. They call this the sunshine state, but I see more rain than sun, and clouds are always overhead ready for the downpour.
Agreed. though I would say southern FL the most overrated climate. Too many equate hot and humid year round, never having to shovel snow again with being paradise. It is for many but too many are disappointed. Probably another among the worst of all might be upstate NY and interior NE by the great lakes..Just too much grey, cold, snow for too long for me. Love cooler, dry, sunnier days myself. All personal tastes in the end but better to know what you really want going into the next adventure

Last edited by JohnVosilla; 10-06-2012 at 09:19 PM..

Old 10-06-2012, 08:29 PM

778 posts, read 1,462,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingElsewhere View Post
For me, the inland Northeast such as Upstate New York and parts of Pennsylvania. My problem with the climate is not the temperatures, cold, humidity, etc. but high number of cloudy days and gray skies. Not many people seem to know this, but the inland Northeast has just as many cloudy days as the Pacific NW. Imagine Seattle winters with frigid temperatures, that gives you the inland Northeast. Even the fall and spring seem to have a high number of cloudy days. Summer appears to be the only season where you see an abundance of sunshine.

IMO, sunshine and full sunny days are important. I can find ways to deal with extreme temperatures, cold, and humidity. But lack of sunshine and full sunny days makes me depressed and groggy all the time.
Great post. Have you ever had to deal with a climate that had a very long hot and humid season?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.