U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What part of the US has the worst weather?
the Northeast 51 11.92%
the Midwest 150 35.05%
the South 127 29.67%
the Rockies 10 2.34%
the Southwest 42 9.81%
the Pacific Northwest 33 7.71%
California 15 3.50%
Voters: 428. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 07:20 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,325,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
As far as Atlanta goes, the much ballyhooed 'heat and humidity' generally lasts from mid-June to mid-September. Despite that, C-D posters love to characterize this situation as year-round. Our Spring and Fall more than compensate for any discomfort that Summer might present.
I realize Atlanta's weather situation is overblown, but let's not necessarily deny that it's hot there either. It also can snow there. So although the weather there is generally nice (and notably nicer than many other areas in the country, and nicer than many areas in the South at lower elevations), it can still be seen as aversarial in the eyes of those who don't prefer high heat/humidity, just like New York could be seen as "cold" by somebody who's very averse to snow or cold (but NYC is nowhere close to being the coldest U.S. city, or even a very cold U.S. city).

P.S. The one aspect about Atlanta's weather that I admire most is your spring/falls......awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 09:16 AM

23,127 posts, read 35,085,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I realize Atlanta's weather situation is overblown, but let's not necessarily deny that it's hot there either. It also can snow there. So although the weather there is generally nice (and notably nicer than many other areas in the country, and nicer than many areas in the South at lower elevations), it can still be seen as aversarial in the eyes of those who don't prefer high heat/humidity, just like New York could be seen as "cold" by somebody who's very averse to snow or cold (but NYC is nowhere close to being the coldest U.S. city, or even a very cold U.S. city).

P.S. The one aspect about Atlanta's weather that I admire most is your spring/falls......awesome!
MCC, it seems that we generally agree on this issue.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:18 AM

23,127 posts, read 35,085,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Up North, our Summer and Fall more than compensate for any discomfort that Winter might present.

See... anyone can do it.
If anyone wants to pretend like a six month winter equals a three month summer.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:30 PM

541 posts, read 1,817,626 times
Quote:
I am in MA and it is nice from the end of April to the beginning of November. It starts to get cool around the middle of November, and then it is cold from December-March. The past few winters we did not even get much snow and many sunny days. Spring can be wet or nice. We had days in the high 70's and low 80's last March/April. Heck we had days in the 50's and 60's this January.

There were many days in the 30's in January/February when I lived in FL.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:44 PM

3,077 posts, read 5,455,470 times
Quote:
Like the above post says, it is generally very nice here from late April through October and somewhat into November. That is 6-plus months of nice weather.

And then there are some of us who like winter also. Which puts me at 10ish months worth of weather that I like.

The only months that really bum me out are late February, all of March, and early April.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:54 PM

121 posts, read 172,535 times
Midwest weather is great...for half the year.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:17 AM

1,609 posts, read 3,154,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD_JT_14221 View Post
Couldn't agree more on DFW. The weather here is something I definitely won't miss once I move. This area has to have the fewest "comfy with windows open" days of any place I know of.... And that equals high costs for utilities.
That's what I used to think before moving to Portland. Now I've changed my opinion. At least it gets to the 60s in April in Dallas.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:21 AM

7,315 posts, read 5,549,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Has it occurred to you that perhaps people don't prefer high heat and humidity? Do you really think the world is out to get you? The South was the LEAST popular region of this country for decades before the advent of Air Conditioning and yet you claim there's a bias against Southern weather? Get real!

The reality is most likely that it's not as bad as Northerners think, and not as good as Southerners think.

P.S. I've seen way more Sun Belters make fun of Northern climates during winter than vice versa. Show some class.....when it's 95 with an 80 degree dewpoint you won't want Northerners reminding you how crappy the weather is down South!
I agree on the horrifically awful weather the Southeast has. I find hot, vaporous weather to be horrific. You take a shower, walk outside, and you'd better get your a__ into the a-c'd car fast, because within 2 seconds, you're sweating as if you'd just run a mile. Nasty, nasty weather the Southeast has. If you play outdoor sports, you'd better stick to the winter, when the vapor dries up some.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:46 PM

5,442 posts, read 8,161,507 times
Glad to see the Rockies have the least amount of votes.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:14 PM

3,077 posts, read 5,455,470 times
Does the Pacific Northwest include Alaska? If so, I want to re-vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.