Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What part of the US has the worst weather?
the Northeast 61 10.66%
the Midwest 208 36.36%
the South 174 30.42%
the Rockies 14 2.45%
the Southwest 52 9.09%
the Pacific Northwest 45 7.87%
California 18 3.15%
Voters: 572. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 07:31 PM

124 posts, read 144,363 times

Advertisements

Define worst.

I've always thought the east coast and gulf coast states received the worst during atlantic hurricane season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 08:03 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,772,716 times
Again, it seems like you are talking. About some place else. Constant cloud cover? Hazy skies? We have been having marvelously blue skies for about a month now.

Houston has months of blue skies and sunshine. See when you say things that strongly, I really think you are taking about somewhere else cause you always pepper it with statements in the extreme.

I would not bat an eye at saying that we get a lot of cloudy days or even too many cloudy days, but constant cloud cover? You don't think you over exaggerate in your Houston posts?

I see things like these repeated by posters who have never been here. I hear stuff like Houston is hot and humid all year from posters, but if you lived here you should know better than to say things like that. The slower posters seem to believe these erroneous stereotypes

Old 03-25-2013, 10:46 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,107,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Again, it seems like you are talking. About some place else. Constant cloud cover? Hazy skies? We have been having marvelously blue skies for about a month now.

Houston has months of blue skies and sunshine. See when you say things that strongly, I really think you are taking about somewhere else cause you always pepper it with statements in the extreme.

I would not bat an eye at saying that we get a lot of cloudy days or even too many cloudy days, but constant cloud cover? You don't think you over exaggerate in your Houston posts?

I see things like these repeated by posters who have never been here. I hear stuff like Houston is hot and humid all year from posters, but if you lived here you should know better than to say things like that. The slower posters seem to believe these erroneous stereotypes
I mean compared to San Francisco. The sky is typically cloudless here. It is blue, too. The white Texas sky went unnoticed for many years for me, but when you get to a place with truly clean air, you will understand. I can look out my office window at Mt. Diablo, some 50 miles away and make out clear details of the topography. I had many days in Houston where Downtown was a hazy shadow from Transco Tower.

There are usually clouds in the sky there. it's frequently sunny, don't get me wrong, but the purely sunny days are not like here. When I lived there, I didn't think about it. It was just normal. Here, a cloudy day or partly cloudy day is the anomaly. It's clear--completely clear of clouds-- most days for 6-8 months of the year.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:49 PM

623 posts, read 950,503 times
Default Alaskan coast

Most people would probably feel the coast of Alaska, particularly the SE Panhandle has the worst weather. I tend to like it myself but the cloudy, cold, rainy weather tends to keep people away long term. We can go weeks without sun .

You really have to enjoy the moodiness of the climate, which I do. .

Old 03-25-2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I mean compared to San Francisco. The sky is typically cloudless here. It is blue, too. The white Texas sky went unnoticed for many years for me, but when you get to a place with truly clean air, you will understand. I can look out my office window at Mt. Diablo, some 50 miles away and make out clear details of the topography. I had many days in Houston where Downtown was a hazy shadow from Transco Tower.

There are usually clouds in the sky there. it's frequently sunny, don't get me wrong, but the purely sunny days are not like here. When I lived there, I didn't think about it. It was just normal. Here, a cloudy day or partly cloudy day is the anomaly. It's clear--completely clear of clouds-- most days for 6-8 months of the year.
SF, skies are nothing compared to island skies I grew up with so trust me, I do understand what blue skies and sunshine are. I grew up with sea and sky that SF could only dream of, so do not come at me like I have not left Houston. Apart from the Caribbean, I have experienced Lovely skies in South America, Italy and southern France.

And, I am telling you the sky outside for the past month had been blue not white.

People on here seen to hint that if you say some thing nice about the city you must not have ventured out of it. I am not from there, and I like it a lot.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:46 PM

Quote:
SF, skies are nothing compared to island skies I grew up with so trust me, I do understand what blue skies and sunshine are. I grew up with sea and sky that SF could only dream of, so do not come at me like I have not left Houston. Apart from the Caribbean, I have experienced Lovely skies in South America, Italy and southern France.

And, I am telling you the sky outside for the past month had been blue not white.

People on here seen to hint that if you say some thing nice about the city you must not have ventured out of it. I am not from there, and I like it a lot.
Apologies. I did not mean to hit a nerve, but surely you know what I'm talking about with the skies in Houston. Its pollution, pollen and humidity make for some pretty terrible skies.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Apologies. I did not mean to hit a nerve, but surely you know what I'm talking about with the skies in Houston. Its pollution, pollen and humidity make for some pretty terrible skies.
I know what you are talking about.
Never said there wasn't bad air.

all i am saying is you guys exaggerate things to the extreme and make it seem like nothing can be good weatherwise here.
When i say we have had blue skies for the last month that is what we had. No need to try and degrade my comment by belittling my experience as someone who doesn't know better because they are just a Houstonian. I see it constantly on this site

Old 03-26-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
I know what you are talking about.
Never said there wasn't bad air.

all i am saying is you guys exaggerate things to the extreme and make it seem like nothing can be good weatherwise here.
When i say we have had blue skies for the last month that is what we had. No need to try and degrade my comment by belittling my experience as someone who doesn't know better because they are just a Houstonian. I see it constantly on this site
In fact,I said exactly that--Houston gets a few weeks on either side of summer that are fantastic. The rest is awful. You say that you have had a month of nice weather this year and admit that it is an unusual year. I admit I lived in Houston longer than you have and you are saying I am unfairly critical of Houstonians. I even apologized to you for hitting a nerve and you're still flailing. Air quality--both pollutants and allergens--affects the weather. Houston has bad weather and bad air quality for most of the year.

Look, Houston weather is not its strong suit. It's not the worst on the planet, which is to say it is typically survivable. But, to many, it is the worst of a major city in the country. Others would include:

Dallas/OKC- also prone to drought, intense heat and damaging storms as well as extreme temperature ranges and air pollution.
New Orleans- high heat and humidity, frequent flooding and ristorante of damaging storms

Chicago/St. Louis-- also prone to extremes--bitter cold for months with often hot, humid summers
Cleveland/Buffalo--lake-effect winter storms

All of these places have periods of nice weather mixed in with the bad. The first two listed are more similar to Houston in that they get shorter periods of nice weather than the second two listed.

Houston is a city that has pioneered indoor sports stadiums, even for FOOTBALL, which is played during the nicest part of the year for most places. Need I remind you that the Texans season has been delayed in the past because roof panels were blown off of their covered stadium? The city's periods of bad weather are long-lasting and very disagreeable, interrupted by brief stints of really pleasant times (such as right now). I've even gone into mid June there in odd years, where the evenings were cool and it seemed great, only to be faced with a prolonged hurricane and tropical storm season that stretches into early autumn. The damaging storms (not the cool, rolling Magic 102 Thunderstorms--I'm talking about things that flood the city, damage buildings and sometimes kill people), heat, extreme fluctuations in temperature, insects, pollen, high levels of industrial air pollution, and high humidity make Houston my least favorite weather in the country. There, is that clear?

Old 03-26-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
In fact,I said exactly that--Houston gets a few weeks on either side of summer that are fantastic. The rest is awful. You say that you have had a month of nice weather this year and admit that it is an unusual year.
you misunderstood. In said the sky has been blue the past month to rebut your "The sky is constantly white over there" argument.

What I did say about Nice weather was "For me it has been nice since mid september" Thats about 6 months if I am calculating correctly.

Quote:
I admit I lived in Houston longer than you have and you are saying I am unfairly critical of Houstonians.
And yet use unrealistic descriptors.

Quote:
I even apologized to you for hitting a nerve and you're still flailing.
No flailing at all. Just point out the weak tool many people implement on here when they are cornered in a fallacy--If you can't go around the argument, just dismiss the poster as not knowing any better

Quote:
Air quality--both pollutants and allergens--affects the weather. Houston has bad weather and bad air quality for most of the year.
You did not say most of the year. I never said you were lying sir. I said you stretch data to the limits

Quote:
Look, Houston weather is not its strong suit. It's not the worst on the planet, which is to say it is typically survivable. But, to many, it is the worst of a major city in the country.
Who said it was a strong suit?

Quote:

Houston is a city that has pioneered indoor sports stadiums, even for FOOTBALL, which is played during the nicest part of the year for most places. Need I remind you that the Texans season has been delayed in the past because roof panels were blown off of their covered stadium? The city's periods of bad weather are long-lasting and very disagreeable, interrupted by brief stints of really pleasant times (such as right now). I've even gone into mid June there in odd years, where the evenings were cool and it seemed great, only to be faced with a prolonged hurricane and tropical storm season that stretches into early autumn. The damaging storms (not the cool, rolling Magic 102 Thunderstorms--I'm talking about things that flood the city, damage buildings and sometimes kill people), heat, extreme fluctuations in temperature, insects, pollen, high levels of industrial air pollution, and high humidity make Houston my least favorite weather in the country. There, is that clear?
what does that have to do with you using flat out wrong descriptions of the city like:

The sky is constantly white there

or

The is just bad weather book ended by three weeks of tolerable weather.

Bull****.

Houston weather is glorious for about half the year to the vast majority of residents.

Extremely sensitive people would reduce that to a month or two. In fact I have never met anyone in person who complain about Houston's weather between the months of November and April.

I have only heard it on here and when you reduce it to a month or two it really sounds like you have not a clue about what you are talking about

Old 03-26-2013, 11:19 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,249,788 times
I'd leave this one alone, if I were you, Htown. Believe me, we'll have plenty of opportunities to call him out on his BS in the future. Save your energy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.