U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-06-2012, 06:27 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 24 days ago)
 
8,720 posts, read 10,854,236 times
Reputation: 12773

Advertisements

Cosmopolitian cities where the COL is relatively low. Which ones would you choose? I don't see there being too many of these.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-06-2012, 06:35 AM
 
56,692 posts, read 80,995,527 times
Reputation: 12530
Given the history of the posts with the OP, I'd say Ann Arbor MI, Madison WI, Detroit(parts of the metro), Columbus, Cleveland, Pittsburgh(parts of), St. Louis(parts of) and parts of the bigger Upstate NY cities(I know that this has been questioned, but areas have been given on another thread). Perhaps parts of Philadelphia in a relative scene. If you don't or didn't mind smaller places, major college towns may work too.

What exactly are you looking for, as that would pinpoint what places would work? Keep in mind to other posters, this is in comparison to Phoenix(not sure what specific area though).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2012, 01:55 PM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 24 days ago)
 
8,720 posts, read 10,854,236 times
Reputation: 12773
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Given the history of the posts with the OP, I'd say Ann Arbor MI, Madison WI, Detroit(parts of the metro), Columbus, Cleveland, Pittsburgh(parts of), St. Louis(parts of) and parts of the bigger Upstate NY cities(I know that this has been questioned, but areas have been given on another thread). Perhaps parts of Philadelphia in a relative scene. If you don't or didn't mind smaller places, major college towns may work too.

What exactly are you looking for, as that would pinpoint what places would work? Keep in mind to other posters, this is in comparison to Phoenix(not sure what specific area though).

What "history" is that with my posts? I've posted on 1-2 other threads that you've addressed (NY threads specifically). And, why are you speaking for me to "other posters"? I know what your recommendations are. Maybe other posters have different ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2012, 01:58 PM
 
56,692 posts, read 80,995,527 times
Reputation: 12530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
What "history" is that with my posts? And, why are you speaking for me to "other posters"?
I was giving insight to similar subjects as to why you are asking this question. I'm not giving personal information, but perhaps the input of other posters could give you some better suggestions than what I can or have given to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2012, 02:40 PM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
17,277 posts, read 19,566,600 times
Reputation: 13059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
Cosmopolitian cities where the COL is relatively low. Which ones would you choose? I don't see there being too many of these.
Can you elaborate on what you mean by cosmopolitan?

Also, what other specific criteria are you looking for - like size of city or metro area, vibrancy, walkability, mass transit, schools/universities, close to mountains or beaches, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2012, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 21,212,304 times
Reputation: 10280
I consider Chicago to be pretty affordable. When I moved there from LA, I spent so much less on living expenses. You can get a decent apartment in the city for $800-$1000 a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2012, 03:02 PM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 24 days ago)
 
8,720 posts, read 10,854,236 times
Reputation: 12773
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Can you elaborate on what you mean by cosmopolitan?

Also, what other specific criteria are you looking for - like size of city or metro area, vibrancy, walkability, mass transit, schools/universities, close to mountains or beaches, etc.?
I guess I would say a fair number of transplants, but not overloaded with them either. Maybe just a place where people from other perspectives mix--an openness and tolerance to differences. Size probably 1-2 million. Ammenities, being able to find a service/product easily.I don't care about walkability or mass transiy. Universities, yes. Weather not too important, although don't like months of heat or months of extreme cold (Minnesota winters). No, beaches not important. Like mountains, hills, forests. Good hospitals/ university hospitals are important somewhat nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2012, 03:30 PM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
17,277 posts, read 19,566,600 times
Reputation: 13059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
I guess I would say a fair number of transplants, but not overloaded with them either. Maybe just a place where people from other perspectives mix--an openness and tolerance to differences. Size probably 1-2 million. Ammenities, being able to find a service/product easily.I don't care about walkability or mass transiy. Universities, yes. Weather not too important, although don't like months of heat or months of extreme cold (Minnesota winters). No, beaches not important. Like mountains, hills, forests. Good hospitals/ university hospitals are important somewhat nearby.
I would look into Pittsburgh, Columbus, Cincinnati, Kansas City and Indianapolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2012, 03:45 PM
 
56,692 posts, read 80,995,527 times
Reputation: 12530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
I guess I would say a fair number of transplants, but not overloaded with them either. Maybe just a place where people from other perspectives mix--an openness and tolerance to differences. Size probably 1-2 million. Ammenities, being able to find a service/product easily.I don't care about walkability or mass transiy. Universities, yes. Weather not too important, although don't like months of heat or months of extreme cold (Minnesota winters). No, beaches not important. Like mountains, hills, forests. Good hospitals/ university hospitals are important somewhat nearby.
Rochester and Buffalo both fit. URMC Mobile - University of Rochester Medical Center - Rochester, NY


Buffalo General Medical Center - A Kaleida Health Facility

I mentioned areas to look into in another thread. If you want a suburb, try Kenmore or Amherst in Buffalo or Brighton, Henrietta or Irondequoit in the Rochester area.
Both have over a million people in their metro areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2012, 03:46 PM
 
2,492 posts, read 3,775,481 times
Reputation: 1387
You can't go wrong with any of the AFC North cities: Cincinnati, Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Baltimore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top