U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2012, 10:22 AM

512 posts, read 1,436,965 times

Advertisements

Well first let me start by saying I love cities. I stay in the Suburbs of the D.C. area (Prince George's County, MD). While I like it here, I kinda feel a sense of disconnection. I'll admit maybe there is a part of me that wants to move, the other is a genuine concern to be a part of revitalizing a community. A couple of cities have been on my heart to consider for relocation New Orleans, Detroit, Memphis, St Louis and Birmingham. Of all the cities which one do you feel has plenty of opportunity to get involved and support a city?

Another thing to consider is I have kids and a wife so somewhere that is decent to live in the city(Doesn't have to be the upper end part of town). Also schools are a priority as well (Charter, private or magnet schools). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I ask all of these questions to ask, who has been in my position and to see how people have made it work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 11:28 AM

56,662 posts, read 80,973,859 times
If you go with Detroit, perhaps East English Village, Indian Village, Palmer Woods, the University District, Sherwood Forest, Warrendale and maybe Boston-Edison, among others. For schools, look into Renaissance or Cass Tech for public high schools and maybe University of Detroit Jesuit(boys) and Mercy(girls) for private. There are other options for private and charter schools.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:50 AM

Interesting. I'll have to research these areas. Why would Detroit be a good place to get involved with? Are there various community organization to get involved with? I wish I knew someone up there to show me around the city. Thanks ckhthankgod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
If you go with Detroit, perhaps East English Village, Indian Village, Palmer Woods, the University District, Sherwood Forest, Warrendale and maybe Boston-Edison, among others. For schools, look into Renaissance or Cass Tech for public high schools and maybe University of Detroit Jesuit(boys) and Mercy(girls) for private. There are other options for private and charter schools.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:55 PM

56,662 posts, read 80,973,859 times
I think it has great potential, if the people there or others could capitalize on it. There is definitely a need there for anything positive as well.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:05 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,037,464 times
Oh yea, there's plenty community organizations in Detroit. If you want more in-depth, the posters in the Detroit forum can help out a lot and some of them won't mind showing you around town.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:20 PM

Hmmm.... Interesting I'll hit up the folks there in detroit as well. Now St Louis, New Orleans, Birmingham and Memphis. I want to get as much info on those cities as well thanks so far to the folks that have replied to this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or